ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Skeet Machines
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:25 am 
Crown Grade

My last club changed from the old Winchester machines to Matterelli. Compared to the Winchester, the Matterelli seemed to throw a knuckle-ball that jumped around in the slightest breeze. They also seemed to be broke a lot.

My current club uses Pat-Trap skeet machines. They almost never break, but also throw knuckle-balls.

I've heard Beomats put a good spin on the target which helps reduce jumping around in the breeze.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:02 pm 
Limited Edition

I think the knuckle ball targets are caused by shorter throwing arms and or the hardness of the throwing arm rail.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:54 am 
Tournament Grade

oldskeetshooter wrote:
Beomats throw very consistent targets. They are great machines. I know of several Beomats that have thrown, well over, 1,000,000 targets with the only parts replaced being maintenance items. Beomats will need rollers, orings and microswitches. Matterellis are great also. Great dependability and good consistent targets. Matterelllis are easier to maintain and adjust. The only thing about Matterellis that is a PITA is replacing the throwing arm inserts. In my experience, those inserts are, about the only thing that requires yearly replacement..

I'd much rather repair a Matterelli than a Beomat. Matterellis are much simpler to disassemble. IE: A broken spring, on a matterelli can be replaced in a couple of minutes. A beomat is, at least, 1/2 hour if your are lucky.

Flip a coin. You cant go wrong with either manufacturer.

My club switched from Beaomats to Matterellis. While the Matterellis are very reliable, and pretty simple to work on, they throw lousy targets. The targets are going in/out and up/down all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:23 pm 
Tournament Grade

Too bad they stopped making Superstars and Beomats. They threw a dam near perfect target with unbelievable consistency. On some mornings when the weather was overcast and slightly damp you could actually hear the Target spinning across the field. I would say the next decent machine would be a Lincoln. If you could correct the ever so subtle delay out of those Lincoln’s they’re actually good machines. Warning! If you over-adjust Lincoln’s to remove that delay, the machine will keep launching out targets. So it’s a fine line.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:46 am 
Limited Edition

I think Beomats are still available, we buy parts though QRP in northern Ohio. They advertise new machines.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

My club switched from Beomats to Matarellis. The Beomats were great when they worked but a nightmare when they didn't. We had a service rep for years but he retired and wasn't replaced, so we sold the Beomats. We found that the Matarellis actually were NOT any more reliable than the Beomats but were MUCH easier to fix. The downside to the Matarellis was that they didn't throw as good targets at the Beomats. The club that I shoot at now has a couple of Westerns that are probably as old as I am. They are still working pretty well.