ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sudden death shoot offs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:02 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I shoot several rounds each week when weather permits. I started too late in life to ever get really good at the sport, but who cares it is fun.
Awhile back I was a spectator at a big tournament. When it was all said and done there were still 6-8 shooters who had not missed and lined up at a sudden death shoot off. They were shooting at stations 3,4,and 5. I forget the details but it was taking forever and I got bored and left.
Just for the sake of argument what could be done to make the shoot off more sudden death instead of slowly dying :)
They changed the rules in football after years of counting tied scores so I imagine skeet rules could be changed too.
Just something to think about.
What would you suggest?

Post subject: Re: sudden death shoot offs
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

VERY few shootoffs at anything outside of top 20 shoots last more than one box. Most shooters look forward to, and strive toward shootoffs (or at least they should). Those participating in them aren't worried about making each individual shootoff more expedient, they WOULD like shootoffs to be run more efficiently (which many clubs need to do some serious work on) and to eliminate some of the extraneous ones.

Nobody is concerned if spectators think the shootoffs are taking too long.

What should be done is to combine class and concurrent shootoffs wherever possible (this is generally done anyways, but not always). What could be done is long run any places that are not for AA points, $, or prize (or eliminate those places completely, which is likely more logical).

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:56 pm 
Crown Grade

No reason to change anything since there is no problem to solve.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 pm 
Field Grade

wrfish wrote:
what could be done to make the shoot off more sudden death instead of slowly dying :)

Shootoffs generally ARE sudden death. If nobody misses, nobody is out.

I don't think overly-long shootoffs are a problem, they're actually pretty rare except when the big boys are playing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Our club tried doubles at 3,4,5 for shoot offs but people didn’t like it. Shoot regular skeet to get to the shootoffs only to shoot doubles which nobody had shot to get there. Just shoot regular 3,4,5 until only one shooter is left.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, then his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What they should do is go back to the original rules of low-gun start and a variable delay pull. It would save a ton of ammunition and time. International skeet still follows the original rules.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Skeet_Man wrote:
VERY few shootoffs at anything outside of top 20 shoots last more than one box.

IMHO the problem is not so much the length of individual shoot-offs, but the number of shoot-offs. It makes a long day or a long weekend even longer. Too many shoot-offs for no other reason than ego self-delusion. Too much adult T-ball.

Use the high-gun system* for points and money.

*Since many do not understand the deceptively named "high gun system", I will post the section of the Rulebook that explains it -

II-B-7. High Gun System In explanation of the high gun system: If, for example, in a class, three should tie for high score and two tie for a second high score, the top three scores would divide evenly the monies for first, second and third places, and the two tying for second high score would divide evenly the monies for fourth and fifth places.