ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to kill the second bird on a True Pair?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm making some progress while shooting Skeet.

But, I seem befuddled as to exactly where I should be pointing the barrel when the second clay of a True Pair is coming very close to me. I am NOT looking at or seeing the barrel. I am looking at the clay as it approaches.

I think I've been giving it too much lead...but...I really don't know. The darn thing is closer than almost any other target that I see that day, and yet I miss it more often than I think I should.

Any comments or help appreciated. thanks, richg99

Post subject: Re: How to kill the second bird on a True Pair?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:10 pm 
Diamond Grade

After the first shot, don't admire your break or lament your miss, shift your eyes to where the second target will be, smoothly swing your shotgun and give it the same lead you do for the single incomer. The big thing is (and the reason many will miss it) to keep your head down on the stock. Many will lift their head to get a better look at the target and will miss by shooting over the target. I tell beginners to break the singles incomer at the same spot you will be breaking it on the double so that your brain sees the same lead.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

See bird
Shoot bird

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:36 pm 
Tournament Grade

richg, I am not sure I know where you are coming from, but I will give it a try. All targets in skeet, except high 1 and low 7, are crossers to a lesser or greater extent. They therefore need some lead. If you look at Chris Batha's videos on YouTube, on some of them he will point out that he has a short white PVC pipe in the ground in the middle of the skeet field. Two feet on each side of it he has a stack of clay birds. These are thus 4 feet apart. The purpose of this is to give you some idea of the lead from each station. Thus, standing at station 4, you will see the full width of the stacks as being 4 feet apart. This is the approximate lead for station 4, and is the same for both high and low houses. Standing at station 2, you will not see them as 4 feet apart. They will seem much closer together, perhaps 1 foot apart. That is the approximate lead at station 2 for both the high (outgoing) and low (incoming) targets. So, again, incomers need a lead as well. Another reason for this is that your shotgun pattern is a shot string, not a donut, thus think of putting the shot string in front of the target, so that it will have to fly through the string (beginning or end doesn't matter), as opposed to hitting the clay target with the end of a cylinder.
Another possibility is that you are waiting too long to break the incoming target. Many shooters do this. Shoot the target as soon as you acquire it (as was said above). By doing so, you take advantage of the longer shot string for an incoming target, as opposed to the shorter shot string for a "perpendicular" target. Of course, you may be doing this (shooting the incomer late) because you are taking too long to shoot the outgoer. Again, as was said above, shoot as soon as you acquire the correct "picture", don't "ride the bird" to "make sure"! I used to this a lot on the outgoer, when I started shooting skeet.
You don't say whether you are having the same problem with the incoming single target.
Doubtless there will be plenty of members ready to shoot down what I have written, so take it for what it is worth.
Best, Peter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Thanks for all of the help. I do not have any trouble with the incoming single bird.

I will shorten my lead and I believe that will help.

As everyone here knows, seeing and shooting the second bird all happens in an instant. I am happy that I can pick up the bird at all.

I am OLD but having a lot of fun.

Last edited by richg99 on Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 am 
Diamond Grade

A big +1 on watching Chris Batha's YouTube skeet videos.
I rarely shoot skeet but when I know I'm going to be shooting some, I make it a point to review them....and I can go and not embarrass myself. In fact, if I'm having an okay day, it's not uncommon for me to get into the 20's. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I hit 20 on Tuesday.. Yesterday was 19-18. Think what I could do with killing a few more pairs. Even whacked both clays at #8!

Progress!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:46 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My "see bird, shoot bird" comment was not meant to be completely facetious. I've noted in my own shooting and while watching squad mates, that often the pairs are easier than the singles. Sometimes it's better to turn off the brain and just shoot. My skeet shooting improved once I settled down and got used to seeing the birds. When shooting doubles, you don't have time to chase the bird across the field or worry about leads, etc. You have to see the bird and shoot the bird.

Head on the stock, eye on the rock . . . trust yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:26 am 
Tournament Grade

I like Batha's short and sweet explanations. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:32 am 
Crown Grade

twohigh wrote:
Many will lift their head to get a better look at the target....

This is the most common reason I see for people missing the second shot on a double.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:10 pm 
Field Grade

richg99 wrote:
Thanks for all of the help. I do not have any trouble with the incoming single bird.

I will shorten my lead and I believe that will help.

As everyone here knows, seeing and shooting the second bird all happens in an instant. I am happy that I can pick up the bird at all.

I am OLD but having a lot of fun.

Are you breaking the outgoer early enough to give you time for the second shot?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:04 pm 
Presentation Grade

richg99 wrote:

This rather indicates you're shooting the first bird too late. You should be shooting the
first bird early enough that you have plenty of time to acquire the second bird and not be rushed. Actually, you should be able to break both birds in almost exactly the same place. If you're breaking the low house bird, on doubles, between you and the high house, you're probably too late on the first bird.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:41 pm 
Tournament Grade

Yep. I think your analysis is correct. I am not breaking the first bird quick enough, which doesn't leave time for a clearer shot at #2.

After watching Batha's videos, it is obvious what he is doing.

Unfortunately, I can't practice without being in a regular round of skeet. When I was back in TN, I could have sat on #6 or #7 and shot three boxes until I worked it out. Here, it is just a quick double and the next guy steps up.

I'll work on it and thanks for all of the help.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

richg99 wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't practice without being in a regular round of skeet. When I was back in TN, I could have sat on #6 or #7 and shot three boxes until I worked it out. Here, it is just a quick double and the next guy steps up.

Just a suggestion, but at the clubs I shoot at, nobody would balk if you shot all doubles on 6 and 7. In other words, don't shoot your singles as singles, but ask for two sets of doubles.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:39 pm 
Tournament Grade

That is a good idea, and that I can do!

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:02 pm 
Tournament Grade

richg99 wrote:

There has been a lot of good advice in this thread. I'd like to add, if you really want to practice, you need need to get a lot of repetitions in at that station/those targets. If there's a chance to even practice a few pair in between rounds I am sure someone will help you by pulling, or maybe getting there a little earlier may benefit you.

I know its not always feasible, but it would probably shorten your learning curve and help engrain that in your brain.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:35 pm 
Crown Grade

Find someone that is a really good skeet shooter to stand behind you and look over your shoulder. He can see what you are doing and can offer suggestions!

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:06 pm 
Tournament Grade

Riding the first bird too long is a issue, but I believe just as big a problem is rushing too quickly to get to the second bird. They rush and don’t get a consistent point on the bird. Shooting doubles should be a smooth transition from one bird to the next. One has enough time. Just get a rhythm and be smooth. It’s the same shot and lead as on the single.

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, then his goods are in peace. Luke 11:21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:02 pm 
Limited Edition

Shooting doubles requires consistently breaking the first bird before the stake, this allows constant lead vs swing through. This becomes even more important when you get to doubles from 3,4,5. I like the place stakes at 1/3rd and 2/3rds from the house to center stake to used as a reminder as to hold point and break point for the first bird. Both birds should be broke between these two stakes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:09 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I had a chance to mess around this morning. We only had 4 guys shooting.

I shot (at) pairs most of the time. My results from 3, 4, and 5 were dismal. However, my results from 1, 2, and 6, and 7 were improved.

I killed the bird earlier in a number of cases and had plenty of time to find and shoot at the second bird. I certainly wasn't always accurate, but I have the system down now. Thanks for the help and suggestions.