ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Invector DS skeet chokes recommendation
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:53 pm 
Utility Grade

Ok so I own a Browning Citori 725 sporting which shoots invector ds chokes. Overall I like how the factory chokes pattern minus the skeet chokes. Murphy’s law of course skeet is the main sport I shoot. So what are some good aftermarket chokes out there? I’ve heard good things about the Briley Helix in skeet.

Post subject: Re: Invector DS skeet chokes recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

I been shooting skeet and trap with a sporting 725.
I personally have ask the same questions and people who have been down the same road, the advise I got was TRULOCK chokes, I now use the Trulock chokes, they work wonderful and never have had a problem and many I shoot with use the Trulock chokes and prices are reasonable . good luck,

https://trulockchokes.com/?target=choke ... 5B11%5D=11

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trulock-ch ... e=browning

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Combo 32/34"
Winchester Model 59 Winlite 30"full 12ga
Ithaca Gun 36"12g
Pride of Spain10g
NRA LifeMember since2000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:32 pm 
Diamond Grade

I use and like Carlson chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm using Briley's in my 725 for Skeet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

What's wrong with the chokes you already own?

[email protected]
http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:11 pm 
Tournament Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:

I am with Skeet Man. I own a 525 in 28ga and shoot the factory Browning skeet chokes in it. I also own a Kolar max skeet with Kolar's fancy chokes, Blaser F3 with the Briley chokes, and a K80 with fancy Ti chokes and they all brake the targets the same. If your on the target your on the target, if you not your not. The chokes are not going to make you a better shooter. Only good coaching and time behind the gun will.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:20 pm 
Crown Grade

dmarsh wrote:
Skeet_Man wrote:

I am with Skeet Man. I own a 525 in 28ga and shoot the factory Browning skeet chokes in it. I also own a Kolar max skeet with Kolar's fancy chokes, Blaser F3 with the Briley chokes, and a K80 with fancy Ti chokes and they all brake the targets the same. If your on the target your on the target, if you not your not. The chokes are not going to make you a better shooter. Only good coaching and time behind the gun will.

The 525 chokes were made by Briley. High quality. The 725 chokes aren’t.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:05 am 
Crown Grade

I will defer to Skeet_Man and say that in 12, 20 gauge any choke that provides Cylinder-Skeet patterns at 25 yards and is not full of target size holes; will work perfectly. I am no expert on the small gauges but think that the 28 gauge and .410, may benefit from a bit more constriction.

Having said that, because confidence is 95% of the requirement for top tier shooting; I suggest the OP buy the most expensive and best choke tubes that in his mind will make him unbeatable. Anything less than that will leave a bit of doubt about the superiority of his equipment. That must be avoided and is worth the extra cost for the most expensive choke tubes.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:23 am 
Crown Grade

I use the Briley Spectrum chokes, no complaints

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

IME, the factory DS chokes were inaccurately labeled. The actual choke was pot luck.. That was a few years ago. Unless something has changed, I think any popular brand’s aftermarket SK choke is fine and probably better than what you have. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I have no issues with the Invector DS chokes that came with my 725, and they stay tight until I take them out with the supplied wrench.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Skeet_Man wrote:

{hs# {hs#

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:46 pm 
Tournament Grade

drawdc wrote:
dmarsh wrote:
Skeet_Man wrote:

The 525 chokes were made by Briley. High quality. The 725 chokes aren’t.

Interesting I did not know that, learn something new everyday. Although my Browing shotgun knowledge is pretty limited I only own the the one because it was an impulse buy from a friend plus you can never have to many 28ga's. Nice entry level gun but I cant say Browings are my favorite and that's even more disappointing about the 725; the 525 came with briley chokes and the new more expensive ones do not. Seems to be a lot of big box store gun manufactures are starting to make things cheaper and cheaper.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:57 pm 
Tournament Grade

I own a 12 gauge Browning 725 Sporting and I have measured my bores and the 10 Invector DS choke tubes that’s I have with a professional bore gauge set. The only Invector DS choke tube that I have that measures close to its marking is the full choke tube, and it throws about an 85% pattern at 40 yards with target loads.

My 12 gauge bores both measure .741”

DS Skeet - .743 (negative constriction)
DS Skeet - .742 (negative constriction)
DS IC - .740 (.001”)
DS IC - .739 (.002”)
DS LM - .736 (.005”)
DS Mod - .734 (.007”)
DS Mod - .734 (.007”)
DS IM - .727 (.014”)
DS IM - .727 (.014”)
DS Full - .702 (.039”)

As you can see, all of the choke tubes have way less constriction than the standards you might expect from current thinking on chokes, like .010” for IC and .020” for modified. I will say that they do pattern slightly tighter than the true constriction would indicate, but not enough to bridge the gap. For example, the IC tubes that have 1 or 2 thousandths of constriction pattern identically like my Briley skeet chokes that measure .005”. The IM tubes that measure .014 pattern identical percentages out to 40 yards as my Briley Modified that measures .020”.

I really like the way my .007” tubes that are marked Modified pattern for skeet doubles, but the tubes marked IC draw plenty of smoke on the skeet field.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:51 am 
Crown Grade

tmmiller57 wrote:
I own a 12 gauge Browning 725 Sporting and I have measured my bores and the 10 Invector DS choke tubes that’s I have with a professional bore gauge set. The only Invector DS choke tube that I have that measures close to its marking is the full choke tube, and it throws about an 85% pattern at 40 yards with target loads.

My 12 gauge bores both measure .741”

DS Skeet - .743 (negative constriction)
DS Skeet - .742 (negative constriction)
DS IC - .740 (.001”)
DS IC - .739 (.002”)
DS LM - .736 (.005”)
DS Mod - .734 (.007”)
DS Mod - .734 (.007”)
DS IM - .727 (.014”)
DS IM - .727 (.014”)
DS Full - .702 (.039”)

As you can see, all of the choke tubes have way less constriction than the standards you might expect from current thinking on chokes, like .010” for IC and .020” for modified. I will say that they do pattern slightly tighter than the true constriction would indicate, but not enough to bridge the gap. For example, the IC tubes that have 1 or 2 thousandths of constriction pattern identically like my Briley skeet chokes that measure .005”. The IM tubes that measure .014 pattern identical percentages out to 40 yards as my Briley Modified that measures .020”.

I really like the way my .007” tubes that are marked Modified pattern for skeet doubles, but the tubes marked IC draw plenty of smoke on the skeet field.

It's interesting to see the numbers you measured. That is a factual representation of the issues that many have seen with the Browning DS chokes. The problem is that they seem to vary through different production runs so your results might not be the same for others.

If you enjoy testing to this level, you can ascertain what your choke constrictions are and adjust accordingly. Or you can pick up the phone and order two Briley Spectrum skeet chokes and know they are .005. I know what I did.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was about to reply to the OP's question when I realized that he hasn't returned since posting it, his first and only post, on 11/29. Guess he figured it out.