ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shotkam
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Has anyone experienced improved performance using Shotkam?

Post subject: Re: Shotkam
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I know 2 shooters that use them at our club. Both of them showed a decline in their scoring. My guess is that they began measuring once they saw their tendencies in slo-mo.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:29 am 
Crown Grade

Try to rent/borrow one. I bought one and right off I saw some problems, since that time it has sat unused. I have given it to others to use, they say the same thing.

In my case the biggest problem it showed me was that I waved the fricken gun around like a magic wand. Not so much it was obvious to the observer but the camera really showed it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:43 pm 
Tournament Grade

Definitely helped me shooting sporting clays. How can you improve if you don't know where you are missing? That was my problem..........take a shot, miss............was I high, low, behind? If you have an experienced shooting partner, they might be able to tell you, but I didn't have that advantage. After watching a few 100 videos, I definitely saw improvement. I tended to miss certain shots the same way. I used it a lot for the first 6 months. Less now that I tend to have a better idea where I'm missing.

Other thing the camera pointed out for me as noted above was lots of unnecessary movement of the gun before taking a shot. It definitely helped smooth out my mount, etc..

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:05 am 
Tournament Grade

It will not show you how To hit the bird. It will show you what you did to either hit or miss it. I’m speaking mostly on the sporting clays courses. It will also help you understand your gun movement, hold points, etc. I learned I missed because I shot over the target on the skeet range rather than improper lead - due to raising my head. I bought one use for $500 and suspect I can sell for that when I’m ready.

Would I buy it again ? Probably.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

It’s a great debriefing tool, it will show you your errors, BUT you need to get instruction and an understanding the basics of shotgun shooting before it helps. I found a lot of errors like inconsistent hold points, being too far out of the target line vertically and, most interesting, that I missed in front a lot with too much gun speed. If you don’t understand those concepts watching the “Sunday Night Shooting Movies” won’t help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:40 pm 
Crown Grade

I only know of 3 people who purchased them and none of them used it more than once or twice and it didn't tell them anything they didn't already know.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

I have one that I have had for more than a year. I like to use it
occasionally to be able to see if the camera shows the same
thing as I see. I have no plans to sell mine. I might want to
review things next month. Right now I am perfect so no need
to review,

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Bought Shotkam around 3 years ago. Was my daughter's second year shooting, thought it might be a good development tool. [I started skeet shooting '67 at 16].

You'll see youtube videos and actually Shotkam's own skeet videos are good reminders.
The video you see on youtube is pretty darn close to what you'll see, displayed on decent monitor.

As to usefulness - we never figured out a way to register which station was being videoed at any given time. Maybe needs an old school movie scene register board 'action!' - with the station number on the board. Without being able to tell which station is being seen, not much use.

I suppose one option would be record one station only, store file labeled with that station.
Pricey item - you gotta wanta use it, a lot, to be worthwhile.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:35 pm 
Tournament Grade

When you reach a station and close the gun, pan the scenery a little before you start shooting and you should have enough of a reference to know which station you’re on.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:41 pm 
Limited Edition

No a whole lot of sense to buying it new. Every so often one shows up here. And it is easy to unload again when you are ready. I just bought mine a couple of days ago and am waiting for delivery. I will let you know what I think. My goals are smoothing out my swing, assuring good follow through and reinforcing my assumptions about where I am missing. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:23 am 
Tournament Grade

Well, I am not an expert, but I used a borrowed Shotkam last Wednesday and shot two rounds of skeet. I wound up with 16 files labelled:
12-30-2020_SHOT0001.MP4
through 12-30-2020_SHOT0016.MP4
Seems that Shotkam can distinguish those stations that only shoot singles, and those that require both singles and doubles.
I have not been able to figure out how to delete files from the Shotkam after I have downloaded them to my PC or tablet.
Also, my videos are "tilted", which could well be me shouldering the gun "canted", or could be the way the Shotkam is mounted on the gun. It was not obvious to me while "sighting in" the Shotkam, but I will go back and check more carefully.
Just with these two rounds of skeet I have found several things that I need to correct, and will try them next week.
Of the things I did notice:
1. While the bird came out above the gun, I was tracking the bird UNDER it's flight path, and only coming up at the end, instead of (what I think should be happening) bringing the gun up to the path much sooner.
2. I must be riding the bird much more than I thought, because I found myself shouting "SHOOT" when watching the video, once I thought the lead was established, only to wait for several seconds (it was slow motion!) before the shot was fired!
Neither of these are things that I was aware of before using the Shotkam.
I am looking forward to trying to "fix" the things I noticed next week, and then confirming them the week after (hopefully). I am aware of my hold point being tooo close to the house on station 2, but have been trying to fix it for a while!
Peter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:00 am 
Tournament Grade

It sounds like a great tool, but not one that I'd use constantly.

I believe that they would sell tons of them if they configured it as a short-use rental device. I'd happily pay 25.00 or so to use one for a round or two.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Well, I fixed my canting problem. I was focused on the "sighting in" and didn't look closely at the background. Once I did that, and this time I knew what I was looking for, the solution was straightforward.
Can't wait to get out there again!
Peter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:01 pm 
Limited Edition

pknimrod wrote:
Well, I fixed my canting problem. I was focused on the "sighting in" and didn't look closely at the background. Once I did that, and this time I knew what I was looking for, the solution was straightforward.
Can't wait to get out there again!
Peter.

Say more about the canting. Are you saying you were tilting the gun and have stopped to fix the appearance of the videos? Or is there an adjustment in the camera to straighten it up no matter how you hold the gun? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:01 pm 
Tournament Grade

Neither! The camera is essentially fixed, and, everything you see is electronically provided. Thus when you look "through" the Shotkam you are seeing an image on the screen of your "device" ie. tablet, cell phone etc. There are two adjustments that can be made when mounting the camera on the shotgun.
1. Make sure that the Shotkam device is vertically below the barrel. The clamp can obviously rotate around the barrel. I could only eyeball this.
2. The camera is essentially fixed in the Shotkam device, but, the device, being cylindrical, can be rotated within the clamp that holds it on the barrel. Thus what you need to do is to not only look at the alignment of the sights on the shotgun (or the laser boresighter) with the cross hairs in the Shotkam (the cross hairs can be adjusted electronically using the app that runs on the tablet/smart phone) but (what I failed to do) also look at the image on the app and make sure it conforms (ie. is not canted) with the image in "real life". Any adjustment is made by loosening the clamp and rotating the Shotkam within the clamp until the image in the app coincides with reality. In other words, do not use a large plain colored surface to set up the camera on the gun. Use an aiming point of some kind, but place it on a background that has some deatil in it.
Hope this makes sense.
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:55 am 
Limited Edition

One thing I found very useful with the ShotKam was in POI. I was at the pattern board and found out my POI was like 80/20. I then lowered it 60/40. Using the ShotKam I noticed I was actually hitting the targets with the top of the pattern meaning my POI was in fact lower. Once I raised my comb back again I found my pattern was more centred around the target. Apparently I float my targets more then I thought.
The other thing the ShotKam comes in very handy is analysing my doubles and eye shift. If after the first shot as the barrel starts to transition, the 2nd target comes into view I’ve executed a proper eye shift.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

DEG wrote:
I only know of 3 people who purchased them and none of them used it more than once or twice and it didn't tell them anything they didn't already know.

This is exactly what happened to my friend. He used it two or three times and I have not seen it since.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:45 am 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
DEG wrote:

This is exactly what happened to my friend. He used it two or three times and I have not seen it since.

There is a steep learning curve, it will do a lot if you are willing to put the time in.

If a person just slaps it on and goes shooting it won’t do much. Some folks like to fiddle with technology and some don’t, to each their own.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:26 am 
Crown Grade

McFarmer wrote:
wrfish wrote:
DEG wrote:

There is a steep learning curve, it will do a lot if you are willing to put the time in.

If a person just slaps it on and goes shooting it won’t do much. Some folks like to fiddle with technology and some don’t, to each their own.

What do you mean it "will do a lot". I don't see how it can really do anything other than confirm what you should already know; you missed the target. It can't tell you what fundamental you screwed up that caused you to miss the target.

It's just another gimmick marketed to people looking for a magic cure to targets missed due to a lack of adequate practice.