ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I wanted a new shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:36 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been in the mood for a new 28ga over under with 32" barrels, a Browning Citori from Guns Unlimited fit the bill. A friend showed up with the exact model I was looking at and urged me to shoot a round with it. I shot my worst round in a long time(19). Did I save myself two grand, or should I proceed? All my skeet guns have adjustable combs and my friends gun did not. Would that be the difference?
Another question. I wanted to trade in a 28" barrel Browning White Lightning which retails new for $2700 msr. The one I have is in very good condition with some very minor dents in the stock,nothing that went through the surface of the finish. I was offered $900 . Do you think that is a fair offer as I have no idea what the used market is like?

Post subject: Re: I wanted a new shotgun
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

What does your friend shoot with his gun? I would suggest patterning his gun to see where it shoots for you.
Peter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:27 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The gun is very new to my friend and he has not shot it but for a couple of rounds so there is not much of a track record so far.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:08 pm 
Tournament Grade

On second thought, I would think that a 4" difference in barrel length, plus any differences in balance and fit would account for quite a bit. Given these potential changes, a couple of rounds would not be sufficient to adjust to the new gun. IMHO.
Peter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:10 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Do as I say, not as I do . . .

This urge will pass.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:58 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
this is why car makers come out with new models every year. man is never satisfied.
pass.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

Nonsense. All the top shooters have very expensive guns, so it must be the gun!
Here is my take:
25 straight gun costs less than $1K
50 straight gun costs less than $2K
75 Straight gun costs less than $4K
100 straight gun costs less than $5K
400 straight gun costs more than $10K.
If you miss any targets it MUST be the gun. Solution, but a more expensive gun! Plus it keeps people at work so it must be good for business.
(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:18 am 
Crown Grade

bobski wrote:
this is why car makers come out with new models every year. man is never satisfied.
pass.

Same thing with cell phones!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Well, I bought the gun anyway even with these doubts. It took a while to make friends with my last new shotgun, a over/under Fabarm 12ga.but it is my favorite now.
Whats the old saying? "a poor workman blames his tools". I am confident I can make it work.
I brought this up in another forum. Guns Unlimited in Omaha is the only dealer in the country to have access to this model. How many guns do they have to buy to get this kind of deal?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 pm 
Field Grade

Did you ever consider using your favorite 12 gauge shotgun you shoot for skeet as a base and obtaining a set of sub-gauge tubes? It certainly can be less expensive than a new (to you) shotgun. I bought Briley tubes for a favorite 12 gauge of mine in 20 and 28 gauge and although I'm not doing consistent 25 straights, I do enjoy having the variety of gauges. And for the record, I did shoot a 50 straight with the 20 gauge tubes in a skeet league competition. Not bragging. Just trying to be informative for you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:38 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
I bought my shoes on discount, to hike the blue ridge mountains.
great shoes, slightly used. little tight on the width, but the kid at gander mountain says theyre good shoes.
I'll make them work.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:07 am 
Crown Grade

Some people can pick up a completely different gun and immediately start shooting the same scores they did before. I can't and it's mostly a mental thing. It takes me several rounds to get distracting "new gun" thoughts out of my head. Once I forget it's a different gun and return to focusing on the fundamentals, I can shoot. Once I get accustomed to the gun, the "new gun" syndrome does not return with that gun even if it sits in the safe for a long time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:14 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I finally got out to the range.The wind around here has been relentless . I shot one round and got a 24. The gun felt great. And just like that the weather changed with wind and cold.I do have a tubed 12 ga Browning 725 but with tubes it weighs over 9 lbs and feels so much different that the new 28 ga. I'm happy with my purchase.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

Glad to hear it! You are the only person you have to please when it comes to a new gun. I love the 28ga. and shot it more often than any other gauge in my tube set. A friend of mine has a 28ga. O/U which is very nice, but I am not sure how I would handle the weight difference between it and my tube set.
Anyway, good luck.
Peter