ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to practice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:01 am 
Tournament Grade

Have just started shooting again after several years, and feel like I need to make my practice more focused and productive, seems like just going out by myself and shooting rounds of skeet is burning a lot of ammo and money, without much progress. How can I make my practice more productive?

Post subject: Re: How to practice
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:12 am 
Tournament Grade

PM me your email address and I can send you a nice training program that BJ McDaniel's wrote.

Also most productive way to train and learn as a new shooter is to get someone to coach you going out on your own and throwing lead down range does nothing if you dont know what your doing and if anything will make you learn bad habits. Find someone that can teach you properly and teach you what your doing wrong and also what your doing right (not everything is always bad) NSSA has a nice listing of qualified skeet instructors on there website you can sort by location and seeing as to how your in TX there are tons around you. http://mynssa.nssa-nsca.org/instructors-2/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:05 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

+1 for getting some instruction from a qualified instructor. Much better than your shooting buddies telling you, you were behind, or stopped the gun etc.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:13 pm 
Limited Edition

It depends on what you are trying to do and why you are practicing.

One notch up from plain vanilla rounds that can fit in with a squad and not intrude on their shooting is to shoot two highs and double on stations one and two, and two lows and a double on six. Skipping some targets at station seven and adding a couple pairs at four generally is not disruptive to the rest of the squad. Skipping stations seven and eight gives you another six shots for targets needing more practice.

If you are just starting, Learn and work on the fundamentals.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:15 am 
Presentation Grade

I am now trying to correct a shooting flaw I've had from the beginning: not tracking targets, but instead jumping - with my eyes and my gun - ahead of the targets, as everyone kept telling me, "Don't get beat by the bird." After jumping ahead of the targets I then had to slow down my gun. Everyone then told me, "You're behind. You stopped moving your gun." So I jumped ahead of the targets even more.

(A good analogy to this is that when a running back is running down the sideline toward the end zone, a defensive back from the other side of the field, must take an angle to hopefully tackle the back before he crosses the goal line.)

Because skeet costs a lot of money, I am going to try to reprogram my unconcious, so to speak, by simulating shooting without live shells in my gun and just concentrating on seeing and tracking outgoing targets. I am also visualizing tracking targets when I am sitting at home. Studies have shown, that visualizing athletic techniques is just as effective as actually doing them.

And just for the record: no instructor ever corrected my shooting defect. I was luckily enough to stumble across an article in Shotgun Sports by Todd Bender where he explains the "streaking" defect.

Sadly most shooters and instructors do not know about "streaking."

Randy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:04 pm 
Limited Edition

Randy - L2 and H6 are good targets to learn and practice your fundamentals.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:26 pm 
Diamond Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
I am now trying to correct a shooting flaw I've had from the beginning: not tracking targets, but instead jumping - with my eyes and my gun - ahead of the targets, as everyone kept telling me, "Don't get beat by the bird." After jumping ahead of the targets I then had to slow down my gun. Everyone then told me, "You're behind. You stopped moving your gun." So I jumped ahead of the targets even more.

(A good analogy to this is that when a running back is running down the sideline toward the end zone, a defensive back from the other side of the field, must take an angle to hopefully tackle the back before he crosses the goal line.)

Because skeet costs a lot of money, I am going to try to reprogram my unconcious, so to speak, by simulating shooting without live shells in my gun and just concentrating on seeing and tracking outgoing targets. I am also visualizing tracking targets when I am sitting at home. Studies have shown, that visualizing athletic techniques is just as effective as actually doing them.

And just for the record: no instructor ever corrected my shooting defect. I was luckily enough to stumble across an article in Shotgun Sports by Todd Bender where he explains the "streaking" defect.

Sadly most shooters and instructors do not know about "streaking."
Randy

Not everyone has what it takes to shoot a shotgun effectively, much like not everyone can can throw a 90 mph fastball over the plate or routinely hit a 3 pointer. I was never any good at baseball or basketball but I learned at a young age I was pretty good at shooting a rifle and a shotgun. My learning curve was pretty short. I don't remember ever having the issues/problems that you have been struggling with. I do admire your perseverance.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Google "practice routines for skeet".
You will get a ton of info to print out and read.

K80 Pro Sporter
Clay Delay Rep

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:53 pm 
Utility Grade

I usually will do at least 4 rounds for practice,

I'll do 1 round all incomers, Round 2 all outgoers. Shoot High and low eight for both rounds.

Also, For both rounds the middle station (4) is a neutral station so you can shoot 2 highs and 2 lows if you want for this station 4.

Third round could be a regular round or you can work on stations that you feel you still need work on.

4th round is definitely a regular round for me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:47 am 
Presentation Grade

When Hogan first tried to make it as a professional golfer, he struggled, while his friend, Byron Nelson won tournament after tournament. Hogan persisted and experimented with technique. Once he got his technique down, well the rest is history. When Sadaharu Oh came up to the Japenese Major leagues he struggled at the plate. Also, he was not a home run hitter. Because he was a great fielder, his hitting coach took him to an Akido sword master who taught Oh a technique of generating power by snapping his wrists upwards. Oh went on to hit over 800 homeruns. It is not helpful to continually tell a new shooter, "Don't get beat by the bird," without telling the shooting to keep his eyes from jumping ahead of the target. It is not helpful to tell new shooters, "You're behind, you're stopping your gun, you're shooting over the bird," without explaining to the new shooter what is causing these shooting defects. Had I been taught the right technique from the beginning I would not be struggling so much. Now, having to break a 4 year bad habit, is not easy.
I just do not understand why none of my instructors pointed out what I was doing wrong. And then we wonder why skeet is a dying sport; why so many new shooters get discouraged and walk away from it.

When a top instructor saw that I was hitting targets late - when I did hit them - he said I had an eye dominance problem and that, basically, I should shoot with one eye. I took his advice, but it did not help. How can so many instructors not be aware of eye's jumping ahead of targets. Cutting off angles is often a natural response. Football players ofter do it. Predataors often do it. Skeet shooters often do it.

Randy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

I highly recommend this book, not because Koufax is from my hometown of Benshonhurst, Brooklyn, but because Koufax spent 12 years in the majors; the first 6 were less than average, but the next 6 probably the greatest 6 years by any pitcher in history. What transformed him? His athletic ability certainly didn't change. The first 6 years he srtuggled with perfecting his technique. Back then, pitching technique was not codified the way it is today. Then, after experimenting and experimenting, Koufax's technique all came together.

https://www.amazon.com/Sandy-Koufax-Lef ... 366&sr=1-2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

Some really good stuff here. My list for you would look like this: First, get a real coach, not just somebody who likes to boss shooters around. Second, make sure your gun fits well. Third don't run rounds, shoot drills. 4th get yourself a Dry-Fire.