ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1st Year Shooting NSSA Registered SKEET Review
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:41 pm 
Utility Grade

Wrapping up my first year competing NSSA:

Prologue:

Never shot a shotgun till April of 2019.
I was 47 at the time and having a midlife crisis when I found shotguns.

Discovered trap shooting and shot my first 25 (16yrd) a few weeks after my first round. Loved shooting it until I discovered skeet. Then it took over my life.

My very first round of skeet was July 31, 2019 after about a month of shooting trap. My friends brought me to the range to share their love of skeet. I was instantly hooked like nothing else i've done in my life. Probably broke 4 birds. But I was determined to learn this sport.

Fast forward to end of 2019 and thousands of shells later, I've shot my first 75 and rounds of 99/100 and 98/100.

2020 I dove in to the NSSA comp circuit.

My first registered shoot was 12G and I shot a 96 and a 92 in 28G.

I competed in 7 tournaments this year and
as of to date (12.12.2020) I am a C in 12g (.9160), B in 20g (.9360), B in 28g (.9340), B in .410 (.8700) and C in DBLS (.8000) and a B in HOA

I've shot 100 straight in practice (20G) but not yet in registered. Highest RDS in 2020 was a 97 in 12G, 97 in 20g, 95 in 28g, 89 in .410, 87 in Doubles and 371/400 in HOA

My registered lows were an 84 in 12, 89 in 20, 89 in 28, 80 in .410 and a 67 in DBLS

I went from 0 shotguns in April 2019 to 20+ shotgun's as of today.

I've taken a clinic with Paul Giambrone III (Nicest guy you could meet) and have met some incredibly nice people and a boatload of incredibly talented shooters of all ages.

I have a full blown reloading mini factory in my garage (started reloading in March of 2020) reloading all 4 competition gauges.

Bottomline: I love this sport!! I got bit by the bug bigtime. I've been lurking on this site getting all sorts of info on all sorts of shotgun stuff, especially reloading.

I've also been shooting a lot of sporting clays but my love of skeet still take most of my shooting time. I have 2 registered NSCA events under my belt for 2020 as well. I shot a 92/100 as a high score for one of the main event days. I thought the targets were set soft on that day though cause when i shot the next day (sunday championship day) I shot a 67..lol.

Skeet is awesome and I only wish I discovered it earlier but I am here now and am really enjoying the journey and looking forward to 2021.

My goal is to make A in all classes at the end of 2021. But even if i don't, I will enjoy every second of the journey. I'm not sure why there's not a whole lot more shooting skeet. I understand it can be cost prohibitive but after a year and half in the sport, i've found that there are ways to cut costs significantly. I have a squadmate that shoots pump 870's and mashes targets all day long. Nice guns and nice equipment sure does help some but at the end of the day, it's you and your will to break that bird with whatever gun and equipment you have. Everything about skeet can be traced to what happens in between the ears. I've gone out there and failed but somehow I know that I only get better and stronger with dealing with the failures. I love the mental process.

Just wanted to share my journey with my fellow "skeeters" and to wish everyone a Happy New Year! May 2021 get us all back to more 2 lows on station 8!!

Cheers all!

J

Post subject: Re: 1st Year Shooting NSSA Registered SKEET Review
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Welcome to Skeet! It can be addictive! Always seeking that one more target!

The most fun is the part you are in right now....while you are working your way up through the classes. Always play the options, as this is when you can win some decent money.

Once you make AA and AAA, not quite worth playing the options.

Keep working at it and have fun!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:45 pm 
Utility Grade

John Henry wrote:
Welcome to Skeet! It can be addictive! Always seeking that one more target!

The most fun is the part you are in right now....while you are working your way up through the classes. Always play the options, as this is when you can win some decent money.

Once you make AA and AAA, not quite worth playing the options.

Keep working at it and have fun!!

Thanks and you are right about the options. I've won back some money actually in C and D class but it's getting tight in B and I can see how it will be more difficult in A and above.

Yeah, I figure that most of us are here not for the money but it's nice to get some back.

Appreciate the welcome and look forward to more years shooting competitively and just for fun!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:23 pm 
Limited Edition

I'll give you some advice you may or may not have already figured out. Now is the time to start working on your shoot off doubles game. I've seen a lot of guys wait until they were finding themselves in shoot offs to start working on 3,4, and 5. You will also find it helps in your singles game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:46 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

The way to make a small fortune in Skeet is to start with a large one.

NAHC Life Member
VA State Shooting Association Life Member
NSSA Referee
NSSA Level I Instructor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Welcome to the world of Registered Skeet. Been shooting Registered Skeet since the early 70s. Back in those days, there was no money in it, all the rewards were plaques, belt buckles, commemorative coins etc. I actually like it in those days better than today.

Enjoy - Bob