ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beretta Outlander Sporting 12 GA 30in.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:08 pm 
Field Grade

Will this make a good skeet gun for me?
I do see some rib when mounted. will shoot a touch high?
Is that the best allround set up (gun)for skeet and other target games?
tell me about recoil /or lack of.. not fond of recoil..
Mobilchoke victory extended chokes pattern uniformly?
No opinions.. just facts you own / shoot said Beretta/
thanks
Happy 2021 :)

Post subject: Re: Beretta Outlander Sporting 12 GA 30in.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

Yes. Use light 1145-1180 fps loads and add some weight to reduce recoil. Most can adjust the fit and point of impact to 60/40 with shims. You need to shoot at a pattern board to see where it hits.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:16 am 
Crown Grade

liveblues wrote:
Will this make a good skeet gun for me? Only you can determine that after you shoot it at Skeet. You didn't say which Outlander model you are considering and there are at least 11 different models available. I would think that at least a couple of the models can be successfully used for Skeet.

I do see some rib when mounted. will shoot a touch high? The more rib you see the higher it will shoot. There are a set of shims that come with it to adjust this feature and you should avail yourself of them along with the pattern board to determine the best combination for you to use at Skeet. Generally speaking, Skeet guns should pattern either 50/50 or very close to that.

Is that the best allround set up (gun)for skeet and other target games? There is no correct answer to that question. For me, the answer is no - there are better choices out there. I think the Beretta A400 Multitarget is a much better choice, but it will cost you 3 times as much as the Outlander.
tell me about recoil /or lack of.. not fond of recoil.. Gas guns usually recoil less than O/U, SxS, pumps, and inertia shotguns. Recoil is controlled by controlling the weight of the gun, the weight of the payload being fired, and the velocity of the payload being fired. Increasing the weight of the gun and reducing the velocity & payload weight will all cause a reduction in recoil. Gas guns designed as clay target guns usually weigh more than their sibling field guns and will have a softer felt recoil.
Mobilchoke victory extended chokes pattern uniformly? Generally yes, but the only way to know for sure is to pattern them.
No opinions.. just facts you own / shoot said Beretta/ Sorry, some of what I wrote is in fact opinion. But it's opinion based on over 50 years of experience shooting shotguns of most of the common designs available to the general public. You are absolutely free to disregard anything I wrote.
thanks

Retired

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:22 am 
Crown Grade

liveblues wrote:
Will this make a good skeet gun for me?
I do see some rib when mounted. will shoot a touch high?
Is that the best allround set up (gun)for skeet and other target games?
tell me about recoil /or lack of.. not fond of recoil..
Mobilchoke victory extended chokes pattern uniformly?
No opinions.. just facts you own / shoot said Beretta/
thanks

This is going to be hard to beat for Understatement of the Year Award. {hs# :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:46 am 
Diamond Grade

I have a 28 inch synthetic.
my observations:

The hardware that came with mine did not give me a perfect fit.
It had no shim that provided NO CAST OFF.
You either had to choose right cast or left cast.
I prefer no cast, because I shoot from both sides.
So I built a shim that gave neutral cast.
I also could not get the comb as high as I wanted
with the supplied shims.
I have not had an adjustable stock from Beretta, Weatherby, or Remington that I could get a fit that suited me. I built stocks for all of those to get the fit I wanted.

In so far as seeing some of the rib, that should be no
problem. You should shoot it at paper to see what
happens with that sight picture. I suspect it will put
the pattern where you want it, even seeing some
rib. In fact seeing some rib is good, in my opinion,
because it is a good pointer to the point of aim.
Just seeing a bead is not as good.

In so far as the length goes, I have tired of the longer barrels. I have had 30 inch in pumps and autos, but now prefer shorter, 26 or 28. I also had a 32 O/U and thought it handled like shooting a telephone pole.

The A300 should make a reasonable workable skeet or sporting gun. They work pretty well and last a long time with not much maintenance. You should be able to modify it anyway you want and get parts and service if it needs it. It is also priced really well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:33 pm 
Field Grade

What happened with this OP? See that you're selling it already.