ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skeet field Clean up
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:30 pm 
Tournament Grade

The question is what do some of your clubs do to clean up your skeet fields or any other field that clay birds are shot on ?
We normally have a spring clean up at our club, cancelled in 2020 due to current situation. When we cleaned up we raked or use walk behind blowers to push debris into piles, mostly wads & birds. Then shoveled into wheel barrels and dumped where birds land from Hi & Low houses. Then someone running a small front loader scooped up the debris & put in a dumpster. It's a lot of work and like most clubs, a small percentage of members help out compared to the number of active members but we are grateful for any help.
Does anyone have a better way to pick up the debris?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Skeet field Clean up
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:59 pm 
Limited Edition

Our mowers take care of the clays and a sweeper with a basket is pulled behind the mower to collect wads.

As far as the help at your club. Every club and organization I have belonged to has a core group that gets everything done. It’s the way it is and not worth getting worked up over.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There hasn't been a cleanup of target/wad debris at my club since I joined in 1977. I never heard of a club doing that.

We have periodically reclaimed the lead, but that's it.

Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:32 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

my home club runs to "Clean Up" Days a year. One in the Early Spring and one in the Early Fall. During that time, the houses are cleaned out and repaired if needed, the houses are Fully Stock with cases of clays and the fields are cleaned up beyond what the weekly landscape crew does. Also done on our Rifle and Pistol ranges. If you participate you and a guess get to go to the Fall BBQ, which is catered and really well done. Unfortunately the clean ups were held this year, with masks and distancing, but no BBQ.

The other reasonably local Private Club will allow members to do work around the club to get a $15.00 per hour ($450 Maximum, credit to their annual dues, which are $1,400.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

We use Bio-Biodegradables and just let them sit. Our club looks like crap but the powers that be don't seem to mind. We had a section of safety fence fall down between the two skeet fields, told the club president and buildings and ground chairman and - - - - nothing. The place may look like crap but they throw nice targets and it's one of the very few skeet clubs in the area that's open to the public.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:02 am 
Limited Edition

My club layout is all 4 fields are place such that there is a 40' drop off just past the crossing point. Most of the wads and target fragments end up over the drop off. Like a lot of outer clubs, a small group of regulars perform 90% of the target hauling to houses and other maintenance.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:13 pm 
Field Grade

We clean up the fields about every 5-7 years. When we do, we take the "junk" to a special area of the grounds, pile it there and let nature decompose it. Our club has been there for over 70 years and the pile of junk is still small as the sun causes the wads to crumble with exposure and the clay birds also slowly decompose.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:16 pm 
Utility Grade

Do you need to do anything for lead exposure safety? Such as testing.

I went to safety class taught by the NRA, the instructor said his range had trouble with lead residues. Yes it was an indoor range with carpeted entry room. The foot traffic dragged the lead from the range onto the carpet. I realize this is an indoor range, but just wondering if lead would be stirred up with all that work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

We run a drag harrow a few times a year through the LZ. Powders them up pretty well.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)