ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does this term bother you?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I was watching a video on you tube. It was about international skeet.The young lady ,I forget her name and she was from a European country.In her conversation she kept referring to her shotgun as a "weapon". It just rubbed me wrong.Is that the right term for your shotgun?

Post subject: Re: Does this term bother you?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:55 am 
Limited Edition

That's the standard military term. It doesn't bother me, but I can see your point that there's a negative connotation.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I just looked up the definition of "weapon".
A thing designed or used to inflict bodily harm.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:58 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I don't refer to my guns as weapons. I suppose if I were using them as such, I might, but I don't, so I call them something else.

Maybe that's a European thing . . . (though, I do have an ex-military buddy who uses the term "weapon.")

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:29 am 
Crown Grade

If you take any of the NRA instructors courses you will be strongly discouraged from using the term weapon. It does have a negative connotation with many folks. I agree with the NRA on this and it's probably best to not use in conjunction with sporting and hunting firearms.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Actually the term that bothers me (and I think this is a regional thing), is when people say they "killed" something when hunting.

Everyone I know up here will say, "We shot eight ducks today."

Whereas down South I hear people say, "We killed eight ducks today."

To me, using the term "killed" connotes you poisoned them or something....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:47 pm 
Limited Edition

wrfish wrote:
she was from a European country.In her conversation she kept referring to her shotgun as a "weapon".

This was from somebody whose native language was not English. Who knows what she intended by the use of that word.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:44 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
yep. makes my hair stand up. its just a shotgun.
it isn't a weapon until its pointed at a living thing.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
http://www.vanzantclaypigeonfarm.webs.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:26 pm 
Limited Edition

drawdc wrote:
If you take any of the NRA instructors courses you will be strongly discouraged from using the term weapon. It does have a negative connotation with many folks. I agree with the NRA on this and it's probably best to not use in conjunction with sporting and hunting firearms.
{hs#

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:29 pm 
Crown Grade

Yes, I don’t like to hear it used.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:30 pm 
Crown Grade

I agree on that not being proper terminology for a sporting shotgun but so is the term "s-h-o-t-t-y". The latter makes me cringe. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:11 pm 
Diamond Grade

I agree and prefer the terms shotgun, rifle, muzzeloader, or pistol and use "firearms" to cover all guns, not "weapon"! Lots of things can be considered weapons by definition. You often see the term weapon used in hunting regulations instead of firearms and archery equipment.

To me, this is similar to many that like to use the word "tactical" thinking it sound "cool"!

To me "weapon" and "tactical" are military terms and should stay in that realm and give the proper amount of respect due them!

PS: You can include law enforcement with military in my above comment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:16 pm 
Limited Edition

bobski wrote:
it isn't a weapon until its pointed at a living thing.

Do you mean "person" instead of "living thing"?

I often point shotguns at living things, e.g. ducks, geese, quail, pheasants.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

I wasn’t going to get into this discussion as it will ultimately end without a consensus on its validity. But hey, it’s a slow day. :)

The folks at Merriam-Webster define the word thusly: “something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy.” That is actually quite clear to me. A shotgun, in all likelihood, can and will meet the criteria set forth in that definition at some point in time.

You will notice that in that definition, there is no mention of a living, breathing creature of any type. And it should be obvious to the most casual observer that when used in the clay target games that the ultimate goal is to destroy the clay target at every opportunity. So yes, it is correct to refer to it as a weapon, and no, I do not normally refer to it that way.

But what has all of you in a twit is the fact that to use the term in modern day America is deemed politically incorrect. “Oh, we mustn’t use that term because SOMEBODY might be offended by it.” Yeah; right! Here’s a quarter – go tell somebody who gives a ________!

I also don’t have any hang-ups about telling others that I killed something as a result of pursuing it during the hunting season. It died because of my actions; therefore, I killed it. And if you are the least bit offended because of my terminology you really have me confused with someone who cares.

Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

What upsets me is that at this time in America, there is even a discussion about the use of the word.

I'm Bill but my friends just call me ... Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:37 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

MNGunner wrote:
Actually the term that bothers me (and I think this is a regional thing), is when people say they "killed" something when hunting.

Shooting ducks usually means killing them. If we start declaring down here that we "harvested" the ducks, would that be OK?

Regarding the OP, I agree that, right or wrong, referring to a sporting or hunting shotgun as a weapon carries a negative connotation in these politically correct times. But then, almost anything one utters today will offend somebody.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:08 pm 
Crown Grade

Ignoring political correctness, using appropriate terminology is necessary to convey a message in the complicated English language. Although a shotgun can be used as a weapon, that isn't the correct way to describe it. A kitchen knife can be used a weapon, but we don't refer to them as such unless it has been used for that purpose. Again, the NRA doesn't approve of that terminology to be used by their instructors. They are hardly the bastions of political correctness, but they do know how to convey a proper message.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:34 pm 
Limited Edition

Most of the people I hear referring to a rifle/pistol/shotgun as a weapon come from a mil background which could explain some of the terms use.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:12 pm 
Field Grade

lossking wrote:
MNGunner wrote:

Shooting ducks usually means killing them. If we start declaring down here that we "harvested" the ducks, would that be OK?

Regarding the OP, I agree that, right or wrong, referring to a sporting or hunting shotgun as a weapon carries a negative connotation in these politically correct times. But then, almost anything one utters today will offend somebody.

I harvest crops and kill ducks, pheasants, quail, deer, squirrels, rabbits etc. Shotgun, weapon, firearm, gun, call it what you will but somewhere, someone is going to be offended. Quite frankly, I don't care.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:22 pm 
Field Grade

I will probably get some negative feedback here, but as dubob stated above, "It's a slow day." I think the U. S. Marine Corps exemplified it best in the movie, "Full Metal Jacket," for those old enough to remember this classic film. In one segment of the movie, the late, great R. Lee Ermey was parading raw recruits around their barracks one evening telling them, "This is my rifle, this is my gun..." The recruits responded, "This is for fighting, this is for fun." Quite definitive, I thought. In another part of the film, the recruits had to end one of their trying days reciting, "This is my rifle. Their are many like it, but this one is mine." My point here is simply, there are a variety of "guns/firearms." There are rifles, shotguns, handguns, including pistols, revolvers, derringers and a host of specialty items, like the Thompson/Center Contender, et. al. However, comma, from prior law enforcement work, I learned early on from a taskmaster supervisor, "be proper in how you identify firearms." Again, forgive me if this offends anyone.