ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does this term bother you?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:53 am 
Tournament Grade

It is not a weapon if used on inanimate objects or game animals for that matter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

no because her first language was not english.

here in germany, you will be instructed to place your “waffen” in a case before leaving the Olympia Range in Munich.

Your gun license will be your WBK (your Waffenbesitzkarte). Waffen doesn’t really mean weapon in the English sense as much as it means “firearm” and your dictionary and her dictionary might vary.

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:08 pm 
Crown Grade

oldskeetshooter wrote:
..........Biden may not take down the NRA, but the NRA will make whatever concessions they need to satisfy D.C. and still stay in business. There are too many huge, inflated, salaries at the NRA. Follow the money, Always follow the money.

Did I just see the NRA filed bankruptcy , and leaving NY and is moving to Texas? I thought they were in Virginia?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:35 am 
Crown Grade

Not a weapon, unless it is used to inflict bodily harm or death on a human being.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:04 am 
Presentation Grade

drove past a gun shop today and was reminded of this post. In German, “waffen” really just means “gun”.

The word in this link should give that away as well as the banner at the top of the page after you open it. So the girl said “weapon” because it was an english cognate for “weapon” even though it doesn’t exactly translate well.

https://www.waffen-rabitsch.de/

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:50 am 
Tournament Grade

I believe that the NRA is headquartered in Virginia but incorporated in NY. They have filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, perhaps in part, to escape from the NY lawsuit.
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:29 am 
Presentation Grade

Halwg wrote:
Not a weapon, unless it is used to inflict bodily harm or death on a human being.

Clearly it is a weapon, and it's that simple fact which both makes it useful and imposes on each of us the sobering responsibility to treat it as what it actually is.

We cannot euphemize the implement's nature or minimize our attitudes about it without shirking a vital responsibility to treat it as what it is.

Words are poor weapons, and are helpful only in stating truths. We should not skulk away from the fundamental truths about our weapons or our virtues.

Drang nach Alger Flats!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:47 am 
Presentation Grade

At a very high level competition last weekend with international crowd. Weapon word was used more than once by those who didn't speak English as a first language. Didn't phase me one bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m not going to insult the young lady but I will say this, she knows better, trust me she knows better. Most male European sportsmen that I’ve heard speak, refer to the gun as a shotgun in their native language.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:16 pm 
Tournament Grade

Jeez, what kind of mamby pamby country have we become? There is a reason the second amendment guarantees our citizens the right to keep and bear arms. Yes they are weapons and we need not forget that our forefathers envisioned citizens owning weapons. Call them what they are and don’t back one inch away from it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Willie T wrote:
Jeez, what kind of mamby pamby country have we become? There is a reason the second amendment guarantees our citizens the right to keep and bear arms. Yes they are weapons and we need not forget that our forefathers envisioned citizens owning weapons. Call them what they are and don’t back one inch away from it.

It's not about being mamby pamby. It's about proper use of a words. My XS Skeet was never designed or intended to be used as a weapon and I have no intent of using it as a weapon; therefore it is not a weapon. My Sig P365 was designed for concealed carry and I carry it with the intent of using it as weapon if needed. By definition the Sig is a weapon and my XS Skeet is not.

If I put a baseball bat on the seat beside me with the intent of fighting off car jackers then it is a weapon. If I put it in the trunk with baseballs and gloves then it's just a baseball bat until the time when I go get it and use it defensively or offensively against someone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

Quote:
It's not about being mamby pamby. It's about proper use of a words. My XS Skeet was never designed or intended to be used as a weapon and I have no intent of using it as a weapon; therefore it is not a weapon. My Sig P365 was designed for concealed carry and I carry it with the intent of using it as weapon if needed. By definition the Sig is a weapon and my XS Skeet is not.

If I put a baseball bat on the seat beside me with the intent of fighting off car jackers then it is a weapon. If I put it in the trunk with baseballs and gloves then it's just a baseball bat until the time when I go get it and use it defensively or offensively against someone.

The short answer is no the term does not bother me.

So actually the XS, the Sig and the bat are all "both". to illustrate using your sig; Some folks only use their Sigs for target practice and thus to them it is only a firearm; to you it is a weapon (which also happens to be a firearm). Some use their XS to hunt game.

Anything that can have a dual use as a "weapon" can be described as such in the appropriate context and/or as desired. Brings to mind the old phrase that goes something like; "I am the weapon everything else is just a tool".

I have used my shotguns as firearms to shoot clay targets and as weapons to take upland game, waterfowl and snakes. They are both.

Too cold to go shoot targets today. This is really a lot to do over nothing.

TSSA Life Member
NRA Life Member
Ducks Unlimited
Trout Unlimited

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:37 pm 
Crown Grade

hawkeye55 wrote:

Anything that can have a dual use as a "weapon" can be described as such in the appropriate context and/or as desired. Brings to mind the old phrase that goes something like; "I am the weapon everything else is just a tool".

Almost. Applying the term outside it's proper context is an inappropriate use of the term.

Telling the little league team to bag the weapons at the end of the baseball game would be an inappropriate use of the term, but referring to a baseball bat I'm wielding to fend off a thug as a weapon is an appropriate use of the term even though in both instances I'm referring to the exact same object.

It's not a big deal at all; it's just not correct.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

DEG wrote:
Willie T wrote:

If I don’t employ my knife as a weapon - either offensively or defensively - is it no longer a knife ? I agree with the restraint of not defining something as that which it is not primarily designed for. However, when any sort of firearm is used in the commission of a crime, have you not heard the gun referred to as a weapon ?

We all know about the term Saturday Night Special. I defy you to provide an accurate description - and don’t just use cheaply made and easily acquired handgun. That’s a term invented by politicians and the media. When is the last time you saw or heard of a baseball bat employed during and assault being described as “bat violence ?” Yet every crime where a gun is employed results in “gun violence.”

With all that being said, I too would discourage using the term weapon to describe any type of target intended handgun or long gun as it is a disservice to the firearm and the owner unless further considering the owner’s intent.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
when you take into account all the wars that took place (over there), one might understand why anything that goes bang, boom, or explodes is a weapon to them.
ya gotta ask, how she was she trained and by whom. someone young? someone who was in the thick of it? ponder....... :?:

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:49 pm 
Crown Grade

I don’t care what anyone calls it.......just don’t wave it in my direction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:01 pm 
Crown Grade

amboy49 wrote:
If I don’t employ my knife as a weapon - either offensively or defensively - is it no longer a knife ?

No it is always a knife because the definition of a knife is not dependent upon the context of how it is used. It's always a knife, but only becomes a weapon when you decide to use it as a weapon.