ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Have you ever heard of this?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:30 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

We have a small club with 4 trap houses and 1 combination trap/ skeet, plus pistol and archery. We have a small group of 6 to 8 guys that really enjoy skeet. We were told this week that as of now we are the ones that produce the most revenue. Trap shooting is in decline. Pistol shooters and archers pay $50/year to use the facility and nothing else . I rarely see anyone use the archery range even after a grant provided several thousand dollars to upgrade it. I did't know skeet shooters were so important. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Have you ever heard of this?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Put in a 5 stand course or a sporting clays course and see what changes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:52 pm 
Field Grade

At our club, we have archery, BP, pistol, trap and skeet. We also have some .22 RF matches. Skeet and trap are our 2 highest income producers outside of dues. They are about even. Yes, skeet is an important income producer at many clubs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:31 pm 
Crown Grade

At my old club, skeet was small but steady; trap was the big thing, but only as long as the snowbirds were there - about 4 months. The 2 5-stands were busy year round and kept the club running through the hot FL summers

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:30 pm 
Presentation Grade

Our club has two trap/skeet overlays, 5-stand layout, 200 yard rifle, 100 yard rifle, pistol and archery. Of the nearly 1000 members, I'd bet that more than 90% are members to have use of the rifle and pistol ranges. They pay little more than their annual dues.

On the shotgun side, the recreational skeet shooters are the most active. Trap has some activity locally but they run Big 50's that bring shooters from 50-60 miles away. The 5-stand was just revamped and yet it doesn't seem to generate any activity.
We're shooting enough clay targets that we buy at least two trailer loads per year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:06 pm 

Location: 35 miles from Normal, Illinois (as close to normal as I'll ever be)
Our small club has trap, 25 - 50 - 100 yd rifle & pistol, and an archery area. The trap field's weekly derbies and token system generate the bulk of our shooting event income. The rifle and pistol get frequent use by members, but has very few revenue generating events. The archery area gets virtually no use.

The majority of our members, by a wide margin, are rifle/pistol shooters. So, while they don't generate a lot of event income, they do pay the majority of the membership dues that provide steady income and keep the lights on. Trap shooters contribute less in the form of membership dues and more in event revenue. The challenge is to avoid the Us vs Them mentality. While one group's contribution may be more visible, everyone contributes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Skeet is far more popular than trap at my club. Each weekend there will be 3 or 4 squads of skeet shooters and there is almost never a single full squad of trap shooters. Most weekends there are no trap shooters.

Several years ago we created a 5 stand course that was very popular for the first 6 months until it died off completely.

However, rifle and pistol shooters generate astronomically more revenue than all skeet and trap shooters combined even though all they pay is annual dues. For every person who shoots trap or skeet there are 20 who pay dues and do nothing but shoot rifle or pistol a few times per year.

Our skeet and trap fees don't generate much revenue; they just cover the cost of targets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:48 pm 
Crown Grade

rkittine wrote:
Put in a 5 stand course or a sporting clays course and see what changes.

We have a 5-stand, recently upgraded, and it almost never gets used!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:38 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
trap is big in the Midwest. skeet is more popular in the east.
professional clay shooting may be on a decline, but backyard and informal club shooting is on a rise.
bottom line is...clay shooting is the primary income for most clubs.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:01 pm 
Crown Grade

bobski wrote:

A club near me has all but given up on skeet. A tournament takes up the entire club for an entire weekend, and almost no kickback to the club.

Whereas they have gone full bore on IDPA. They get a $25-$35 entry fee, and all it costs them is about the cost of a paper plate per shooter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:41 am 
Diamond Grade

It's the same with one of the clubs that I belong to. Trap used to be king and was very active, but now, skeet is much more active and brings in the most money. At that club, trap shooting has pretty much stopped. The other club I belong to has a very active trap shooting group as does another club in the area where trap is the only clay game they have. These clubs are all within 30-40 min drive of each other. The difference? The people who ran the trap shooting at the club with the trap shooting decline were grumpy, miserable, and non-welcoming to new shooters. As a result, people stopped going. The skeet shooters, on the other hand, are a happy, fun and welcoming bunch of guys that people actually want to be around on their limited leisure time. Skeet participation is growing at the same club and we're upgrading the fields and increasing our shooting days.

Trap participation was on the decline at another club where I would occasionally shoot. It too was run by a bunch of unfriendly, cliquish, grumpy old men. The club made a change to their trap committee and it's now run by some very pleasant and friendly people and - - - guess what? Their trap numbers have increased and it's attracting some young shooters. There's a lesson here somewhere. If your club's number in any shooting discipline are going down, it may not be a problem with the activity itself but with the folks running it.

ps some have suggested SC is the answer. Not necessarily. I was occasionally going to a SC facility until one day the mgr was very unfriendly. I haven't been back there since. I have choices.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:41 pm 
Presentation Grade

Lots of good points made here. The attitude at the club dictates to a large extent whether new members join and existing members stay. Bullies running the ranges drive the average guy away pretty quick. Membership nazis demanding papers when new shooters stop in to inquire about the club has a predictable effect. This is where for-profit sporting clays ranges shine, they're in business to sell targets, they don't care from who provided they're safe. You get a big hug while they pick your pocket.

The downside to sporting, and a large part of why skeet and trap remain dominant in less affluent areas is obviously the cost. Something like $12-$20 per hundred vs $50 for sporting turns a lot of shooters off. The skeet/trap clubs profit at those rates is many times razor thin, target theft and breakage can put it in the red. Volunteer labor at membership clubs makes a big difference too, the public sporting facilities many times use paid help so the cost goes up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

My skeet club has a determined, dedicated skeet following, carries the club including the part-time bar. But, not a lot skeet shooters, just active ones.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

John Henry wrote:
bobski wrote:

A club near me has all but given up on skeet. A tournament takes up the entire club for an entire weekend, and almost no kickback to the club.

Whereas they have gone full bore on IDPA. They get a $25-$35 entry fee, and all it costs them is about the cost of a paper plate per shooter.

I shoot IDPA. Not certain how you describe the cost to the club is a “paper plate per shooter.” The clubs where I’ve shot have a minimum of 10 shooting course set up with 10-15 targets per course for each IDPA event. Wooden stands support the approved IDPA targets. It takes 3-4 hours of volunteer time to set up the course before the shoot with at least 10-15 volunteers working the day before or early the morning of the shoot. Normal shoot has 80 shooters split into squads of 8-10 shooters each. There is a range/safety officer assigned to each squad. Also, an overall range officer is present who is in overall control. Once shooting is completed the scores are tabulated and forwarded to IDPA national office.

I don’t see how one paper plate per shooter will quite get it done unless you’re not actually shooting an IDPA sanctioned event or you’re not quite aware of all that’s involved. Lots of volunteer staff required before, during, and after for set up, shooting, and tear down. Plus large outbuilding to store all the target stands, metal and paper targets, and miscellaneous items.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:56 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

One has to separate "income" from "profit".

Of course if you don't include the cost of the targets, machines, maintenance, electricity, ect, clay targets sports will have the most "income", but at least at my club, the rifle/pistol range definitely yields a significantly higher percentage of "profit" since the maintenance cost is very low. Without a doubt, almost all of the clubs improvements over the past decade (including improvements to the trap and skeet facilities) have come on the backs of the additional memberships that the rifle and pistol range brought in.

We also charge a nominal ($5/person/day) guest fee if a member brings a non-member to use the rifle/pistol range. In all honesty, that by itself covers a majority of the ongoing cost of the rifle and pistol facilities.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:03 pm 
Limited Edition

Our club is mostly skeet and 5 stand. No registered shoots. Just a monthly fun shoot plus leagues of some sort most of the year.The fun shoot is about the only time the trap ranges get used. Weekends are pretty good and small groups of old geezers, like myself, shoot during the week. Not turning huge profits but it is staying above water.