ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Browning choke constrictions for skeet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:40 pm 
Field Grade

I'm starting to shoot skeet, only have tighter trap appropriate chokes, and want to buy a couple of skeet appropriate chokes. I shoot a 1989 Citori with standard Invector chokes. Looking at the constriction charts I see the standard Invector Skeet choke listed as 0.722 which is tighter than many others listed between 0.724 up to as much as 0.735 for the Invector Plus chokes. I notice that the standard Invector Cylinder choke is listed at 0.727 which seems to put it in the middle range for all the different brands of listed chokes.

My question is . . should I go with the Browning standard Cylinder choke at 0.727 or the Skeet at 0.722?

As the standard Invector choke is a flush, not extended like the Invector Plus and many newer chokes . . I'm wondering if the tighter 0.722 constriction actually produces a similar pattern size as an extended choke like the Invector Plus at 0.735?

Post subject: Re: Browning choke constrictions for skeet
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:10 pm 
Limited Edition

I like extended IC for skeet.

I'm sure there are many other opinions...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:19 pm 
Presentation Grade

Minus .005" is pretty much the standard for a skeet choke.

What does your bore measure?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:48 pm 
Field Grade

icyclefar wrote:

I have no tool for accurately measuring the bore. However, the Cylinder choke should be same as bore and is listed as 0.727. The Skeet choke is (as it should be) listed as .005 constricted at 0.722.

What I’m trying to get at is . . will a flush standard Invector Skeet choke at .722 produce a similar size pattern as an extended choke of .730-35 diameter? I expect some of you have experience with this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:52 pm 
Limited Edition

If every target counts, get Skeet and Skeet and use 1 1/8 ounce of #9 shot.

If you are looking for something better that what you have and will work pretty good, get IC, Skeet, or Cylinder; whatever is cheap and convenient. Use a target sized shot. 1 ounce will kick less.

I read that Browning chokes were (are?) notoriously mis-marked. If that is a problem for you, buy a pair of Skeet Chokes from an aftermarket maker.

Last edited by J.Fred_Muggs on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

The extended chokes will protect the end of your barrel and make it easier to check them for tightness.

Either way, I’d be buying SKEET

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Westender wrote:
icyclefar wrote:

I have no tool for accurately measuring the bore. However, the Cylinder choke should be same as bore and is listed as 0.727. The Skeet choke is (as it should be) listed as .005 constricted at 0.722.

What I’m trying to get at is . . will a flush standard Invector Skeet choke at .722 produce a similar size pattern as an extended choke of .730-35 diameter? I expect some of you have experience with this.

The answer to your question is no. Flush or extended chokes should produce the same pattern. There are some that claim extended chokes give a more even distribution within that pattern. I shoot extended chokes, but that is not the reason. Browning factory (they actually aren't made by Browning) Invector and Invector Plus chokes have a good reputation for consistency. The problem has mostly been with the Invector DS chokes in 725s and the new A5s. Browning changed the choke maker for the DS and they are very unpredictable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:41 pm 
Field Grade

So a given choke size (any size) should produce the same size pattern regardless if the choke is a flush or extended model. It seems the only thing that is constant is that the so named Skeet chokes, almost invariably, are .005 constricted from bore/cylinder size. It doesn’t seem to matter if that ends up producing a choke of .722 or .735 and thus producing a significantly different pattern size . . they are both called Skeet chokes, implying they produce the correct pattern size for shooting skeet. Interesting.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

It is a bit of a conundrum, I would agree.

My last gun had a bore diameter of .740, and as you’d expect my skeet chokes were .735

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:54 pm 
Field Grade

icyclefar wrote:
It is a bit of a conundrum, I would agree.

My last gun had a bore diameter of .740, and as you’d expect my skeet chokes were .735

This is why I’m wondering if the standard Invector Cylinder choke at 0.727, which is closer to most Skeet chokes I saw listed, might be a better choice than the Invector Skeet at 0.722 which is on the tightest end of the list of Skeet chokes?

In reality it may not make a noticeable difference to scores, but the 0.013 difference between 0.722 and 0.735 just seems like a lot . . and the Cylinder at 0.727 still wouldn’t be as open as the .0735 Skeet models?

Last edited by Westender on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Stop way overthinking this. .005 is not going to make a damn bit of difference at skeet distances,

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Westender wrote:
This is why I’m wondering if the standard Invector Cylinder choke at 0.727, which is closer to most Skeet chokes I saw listed, might be a better choice than the Invector Skeet at 0.722 which is on the tightest end of the list of Skeet chokes?

In reality it may not make a noticeable difference to scores, but the 0.013 difference between 0.722 and 0.735 just seems like a lot?

Where are you getting these numbers? Link please.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:02 pm 
Field Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Westender wrote:

In reality it may not make a noticeable difference to scores, but the 0.013 difference between 0.722 and 0.735 just seems like a lot?

https://waterfowlchoke.com/choke-tube-d ... ion-table/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:06 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Stop way overthinking this. .005 is not going to make a damn bit of difference at skeet distances,

Haha . . I agree . . but my inquiring mind wants to know :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:10 pm 
Limited Edition

Westender wrote:
J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Westender wrote:

Forget that chart. Those numbers are based on the diameter of the bore, and that changes by barrel and brand.

Browning, Briley, Carlson all indicate .005" of constriction for their Skeet chokes. Pick one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:14 pm 
Field Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Westender wrote:
J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Westender wrote:

Forget that chart. Those numbers are based on the diameter of the bore, and that changes by barrel and brand.

Browning, Briley, Carlson all indicate .005" of constriction for their Skeet chokes. Pick one.

Well, yes, I’m sure everyone can see that. I’m just thinking that since the standard Invector Cylinder choke is not even as open as some other Skeet chokes, I may as well just choose Cylinder/Cylinder and take advantage of whatever advantage the extra 0.005 may or may not offer. I don’t see any reason not to, and it seems like the logical thing To do . . unless someone just wants to only use a choke that is, for the arbitrary reason that it is 0.005 constricted from bore, called Skeet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Westender wrote:
I’m just thinking that since the standard Invector Cylinder choke is not even as open as some other Skeet chokes,

You are reading those numbers incorrectly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:23 pm 
Field Grade

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Westender wrote:
I’m just thinking that since the standard Invector Cylinder choke is not even as open as some other Skeet chokes,

Hhmmm . . my understanding is that a 0.727 diameter choke is tighter than a 0.735 diameter choke. Is that not correct?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:51 am 
Limited Edition

Westender wrote:
J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
Westender wrote:

Hhmmm . . my understanding is that a 0.727 diameter choke is tighter than a 0.735 diameter choke. Is that not correct?

Choke constrictions are measured relative to their barrel diameter. Barrel diameters vary by brand and model.

Since 0.727 is the diameter of a cylinder choke in an Invector barrel, then the nominal diameter of an Invector barrel should be 0.727. So an Invector Skeet choke at 0.722 gives 0.005 constriction (0.727-0.722), which is usual constriction for a Skeet choke.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:46 am 
Limited Edition

Westender wrote:
I may as well just choose Cylinder/Cylinder and take advantage of whatever advantage the extra 0.005 may or may not offer.

That may work. It may actually help a tad at H2 and L6. Those that were around at the very beginnings of skeet told me cylinder was very common then, mainly because many 'skeet guns' were created by cutting several inches off the end of a field barrel.

Conventional Wisdom was those patterns were too open and it was best to add a bit of choke, thus the .005" Skeet Choke was born. Others have suggested the "Skeet Choke" was invented by gun-makers so they could sell genuine "Skeet Guns" with genuine "Skeet Chokes".

But consider that Conventional Wisdom was born in the era of paper ammo with fiber/cork wads and no shot column protection. So maybe Cylinder will work with today's ammo. Cylinder versus Skeet won't make much difference.

If you get full-length skeet tubes for that gun, you'll want Skeet Chokes.