ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help hitting clays
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:05 pm 
Utility Grade

I’ve been a few times and can only hit 1-2 out of 25 if I’m lucky. Any good training videos I should watch? Could it be my gun (20ga Stoeger condor with IC and Mod chokes) not having the reach or pellet count? I think the gun fits me well.

Post subject: Re: Need help hitting clays
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:12 pm 
Crown Grade

Those chokes are just fine for skeet. Google skeet training videos and you'll have a ton to watch.
Most folks miss behind or over (or both)

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:19 pm 
Field Grade

The hardest thing for me to learn when shooting skeet is to not aim. Once I shoulder the shotgun and line up the bead, don't look at the barrel again. Focus on the bird, you can see the bead in your side vision, but focus on the bird. Keep your head down on the stock, and don't stop the gun when you pull the trigger.

Chokes for skeet are actually more open than your ic and mod chokes. Run the least restriction chokes you have the more marks on rim or stars on body of choke the less restriction. 5* or rim marks is cylinder, 4 is ic, or get skeet chokes.

Last edited by 47MolineRTU on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:24 pm 
Field Grade

https://youtu.be/2txe0bDytJA
There are 3 methods of shooting clays shown in the video above. At my club all the experienced shooters use sustained lead this channel also has lots of good skeet technique video

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

axis, find someone at the club willing to help you. Most shooters are happy to give pointers on where to hold the gun and where to look for the target. I always like to help new shooters break more targets because that will keep you coming back for more. Be sure and listen to the guys who can break targets themselves. There are more ways than one to shoot skeet but getting some basics will have you shooting in the teens in no time and they you can start to refine your game and be in the 20's. Like someone else mentioned the modified choke would be a little tight. Also seeing where your gun is shooting in relation to where it is pointed is very important. I would pattern the gun and make sure it is hitting where you are pointing it. Some guns can be off by a quite a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:40 pm 
Crown Grade

Try to miss in front of the bird, using far too much lead. As someone else said, look at the target, not the shotgun's bead. Don't stop your swing; follow through.

You'll probably start hitting them.

-Securitization
Take your pick.

Always make an even number of mistakes. One may cancel out another.

"People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything." --Thomas Sowell

Last edited by Zbigniew on Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

Most people at the club are willing to help you, but not all are capable of helping you. Ask some of the shooters who they think can do you some good.

At our club we have level 1, level 3, and level 4 instructors available. The level one guy, while willing to help, is not the guy to take you the farthest, the fastest. While he's absolutely the best shooter of those I've mentioned, he's got the least teaching experience and does not communicate what he knows, particularly well. He will also guide you to shoot the way HE does. What works for him, will not necessarily work for you.
We also have an uncredentialed fellow, whose execution of shooting is not at an extremely high level, but has a good eye for what you are doing and can offer sound advice to fix it.

So, be careful who you ask to help you and don't listen to everybody that wants to help you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm 
Field Grade

Skeet shooting is as much about foot position, gun hold point, and eye look point as it is about pointing the gun and lead on the target. This link is the best I’ve found for learning those fundamentals.
http://toddbenderintl.com/station-by-station-analysis/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 pm 
Field Grade

I like Chris Batha’s YouTube series too https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL441DA01D2404EE9C

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:15 pm 
Field Grade

axis ii wrote:
I’ve been a few times and can only hit 1-2 out of 25 if I’m lucky. Any good training videos I should watch? Could it be my gun (20ga Stoeger condor with IC and Mod chokes) not having the reach or pellet count? I think the gun fits me well.

As you mention, gun fit is a good place to start. Just out of curiosity . . what criteria were used to determine your gun fits you well? I ask because when I started I shot my gun for a long time thinking it fit me ok, but it didn’t. I’m not saying that’s your situation, but a few changes made a huge difference for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:17 pm 
Field Grade

Some of this has been said, and some of what I'll say contradicts some of what has been said. You don't say what overall shotgun experience you have so I'll assume you're relatively new to them in general.

1) get yourself skeet chokes. Trying to shoot skeet with a mod choke when you don't know much about what you're doing is just going to complicate things

2) figure out if your gun fits you. Simple trick is to tape a soda straw to the center of the rib and mount the gun like you do at the field. are you looking somewhat down the straw at the bead? if not then something is off.

3) Shoot the gun at a pattern board / pattern paper and see if it's hitting where you are pointing. Alternatively shoot some stationary targets, like clays tossed on the backstop of a rifle or pistol range.

4) If possible go to the field and just shoot low 7 over and over again until you break it cleanly every time. if you can't hit this bird reliably then you don't have much chance at the other stations.

5) foot position, hold points, leads, all the other stuff. If you can hit low 7 easily then you are mounting and pointing the gun correctly enough to shoot something out of the air. The rest is all the other stuff you need to learn. If you are a righty point your belt buckle at the low house window on almost every station, rotate your body back to your hold point, and when you see the flash of the bird start to unwind your body at your waist at the same rate the bird is moving. Always keep the gun moving. If you shoot where the bird is then you missed it, it takes a long time for the shot to get there, relatively speaking.

Lookup Shotkam on Youtube, they have video examples of what the leads are on each station. Much easier to go look at that than have us (or the guy at the field) saying "be 2 feed in front!".

Nice thing about skeet is it's the same ALL the time, so once you learn the leads at each station it's about repetition and being perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:24 am 
Utility Grade

Westender wrote:
axis ii wrote:

As you mention, gun fit is a good place to start. Just out of curiosity . . what criteria were used to determine your gun fits you well? I ask because when I started I shot my gun for a long time thinking it fit me ok, but it didn’t. I’m not saying that’s your situation, but a few changes made a huge difference for me.

It shoulders very well when I pop it into my shoulder and I can look right down the rib and at the bead without seeing the rib.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Have you checked your eye dominance? That's the 1st thing I check when I get a new student and sounds very possibly what could be your issue. .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Gbkca4RM-4

NSSA Level 1 Instructor
NSSA Referee
NSSA Life Member
NRA Member

Last edited by superskeet on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:12 am 
Tournament Grade

axis ii wrote:
Westender wrote:
axis ii wrote:

It shoulders very well when I pop it into my shoulder and I can look right down the rib and at the bead without seeing the rib.

Actually you should see a little bit of rib. There's what's called "stacking the beads" where it looks like the front bead is sitting on top of the center bead. I suggest you try that. If I try shooting without seeing any rib I'll have more misses.

VERY IMPORTANT!! See my above posts about checking your eye dominance. You need to do that before you fire another cap. If you are left eye dominant and shoot right handed you'll rarely hit the side of a barn, so you'll need to start shooting with your left eye closed. If you are right eye dominant and shoot right handed you want both eyes open.

Also just shoot singles with your IC barrel til you can get better. Modified is tough on a skeet field.

NSSA Level 1 Instructor
NSSA Referee
NSSA Life Member
NRA Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

Why not put full chokes in both barrels? That’s the only way to know if your shooting above, below or in front.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:26 pm 
Crown Grade

Not totally............hitting the pattern plate will tell you more in that regard

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:47 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

superskeet wrote:
Have you checked your eye dominance? . . .

Ding, ding, ding!

Almost sure to be the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Westender wrote:
Skeet shooting is as much about foot position, gun hold point, and eye look point as it is about pointing the gun and lead on the target. This link is the best I’ve found for learning those fundamentals.
http://toddbenderintl.com/station-by-station-analysis/

I don’t think so. That advice is excellent, standard, and right on........assuming you have the basics down. Pointing the gun, and leading targets decently is much more important than feet, holds, etc..

Behind the back, over the head, gun upside down, from a unicycle on a rope, etc., etc......couldn’t be done without putting the gun in the right spot when the shot is triggered.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:52 am 
Crown Grade

axis II... go find an instructor. Take a series of lessons. Only listen to one voice...his...the guy you are paying to stand behind you. You will learn much quicker and save thousands in shells and targets and time and frustration. A good instructor will check out eye dominance, gun fit, and gun mount. A good instructor will help you build your game. Instill good form and good habits now....or you can spend more time and money correcting and relearning later.

IMO, these forums can be the absolute worst place to learn how to shoot for several reasons. First we can not see you shoot. We can spout most misses are behind or above or below...hell we don't know, we can't see you shoot. The problem is seldom WHERE you shot, the problem is more often WHY you shot there in first place. Second, you get so much well meaning information here (and at gun clubs everywhere) that it will make your head spin. Taking advice from 14 different well meaning fellow shooters is a recipe for frustration, fatigue, and failure. Start right Stay right axis.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:19 pm 
Field Grade

That was my story until I happened on an instructor. Skeet was something for one or twice a year with fly fishing friends who shot skeet. At a conference at the Homestead in Hot Springs Virginia I brought along a shotgun because they have a skeet field. There was an instructor on site who saw me shoot station 1 and couldn't stand it. When I missed at station 2 he came over and started giving me pointers. I shot the rest of the box at low house station 2 until I could hit everything that came in. I think I got the last 5 or 6 in a row.
I didn't know that I needed an instructor and was just used to missing a lot but just lucked out with the instructor helping out. I don't think I paid him but should have in retrospect, although instruction might have been part of the cost since everything was charged to the hotel bill.
As an aside, I have since shot several places but none more beautiful than that, on a mountain overlooking a valley.