ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low gun for skeet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:24 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Have you ever tried it? I am thinking about entering a FITASC contest later this year and thought low gun skeet would be good practice. It went well until station 6 and everything went south but in my defense I was freezing at the time with 34 degrees and breezy. Overall it was not that difficult except for station 8. No way I will ever get the low house with a low gun I'm too old and slow. Is it possible?

Post subject: Re: Low gun for skeet
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

That’s the only way I shoot all the clays games. A mounted gun now seems awkward. I’m 71 and I have no problem with station 8 which we often shoot as a true pair just for fun

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

You'll like FITASC; I practice for that shooting both skeet and 5-stand with the FITASC low mount with one exception, a close short window rabbit; odds are you won't see that combination on a parcour. Enjoy your shoot!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

casonet wrote:
That’s the only way I shoot all the clays games. A mounted gun now seems awkward. I’m 71 and I have no problem with station 8 which we often shoot as a true pair just for fun

+1 {hs#

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:21 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Fish,
Did you measure down and put a line on your vest?

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Low gun is the only way that I shoot.

I started shooting low gun in the late 80s, so that I would better in the field. This evolved into a game that our club calls "Vintage Skeet". Before I call for the bird, I can feel the gun consistently on my rib. Call for the bird, swing and mount as I track the bird. The gun mount is important and I practice that indoors (unloaded of course)

Occasionally, I shoot by myself and work on one or two stations. I have shot MANY rounds focusing on my pain points (H2?!?!?!? ) and have also focused on station 8.(both High and low)

It can be done! If I can get past H2.. I usually start to count Station 8 as "in the bag"...

Remember... "There's a lot of room around 'em". :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:35 pm 
Diamond Grade

Low gun is most fun! Station 8 low house is my favorite bird on the course and I'm about to turn 60. We often "duel" by taking turns at the 8 low bird, taking a step closer to the house after each break until someone misses.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:46 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
Have you ever tried it? I am thinking about entering a FITASC contest later this year and thought low gun skeet would be good practice. It went well until station 6 and everything went south but in my defense I was freezing at the time with 34 degrees and breezy. Overall it was not that difficult except for station 8. No way I will ever get the low house with a low gun I'm too old and slow. Is it possible?

It’s very possible with some work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:54 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I once shot with a man who shot skeet from the hip. He was always in the 20 and occasionally shot ac25

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:08 pm 
Diamond Grade

casonet wrote:
I once shot with a man who shot skeet from the hip. He was always in the 20 and occasionally shot ac25

When I was in the Navy and stationed in Wash.DC, I had to re-take a hunter safety course to get my hunting license as I didn't have proof of my previous NY licenses with me. I took it in Maryland. They let each attendee try a couple of shots of skeet. One of the instructors started things out by breaking a couple of birds shooting behind his back.

That was before I had heard of guys like Tom Knapp or had seen any trick shooting. I was mighty impressed!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I still shoot with a guy who holds the gun upside down over his head and usually hits them

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

hopper810 wrote:
Fish,

No as this was not planned, I just did it. I held the gun where the stock was about at my belt line. Do you have to be on the line or can you be below it.
Another question , how do you shoot pairs on number 8?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:17 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
hopper810 wrote:
Fish,

No as this was not planned, I just did it. I held the gun where the stock was about at my belt line. Do you have to be on the line or can you be below it.

You shoot the incomes first. But most clubs don’t allow it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

I always shoot low gun. Both sporting and skeet. It just feels strange to start mounted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:41 pm 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
hopper810 wrote:
Fish,

Sounds like International skeet position. FITASC is 25CM down from the centerline of your shoulder (the seam on your vest) to about where your man boob nipple will be. No need to hold any lower unless you like it that way.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:58 pm 
Tournament Grade

wrfish, I’m 60 and shoot low gun skeet. I do it as practice for walking behind pointing dogs. I run my share of 25’s low gun. A smooth motion mount that lands on the desired sight picture and moving with the target is the key. If you miss the mount, you will be behind and your performance will reflect that. Work on your mount in the mirror, mounting on the pupil of your dominant eye. Mount the gun to your eye and roll your shoulder up and into the butt stock. It is a one piece mount and a shotgun that fits dead nuts helps, a lot. Quality practice rather than quantity. Be smooth and don’t rush. When it clicks, speed will come if you stay smooth. When shooting low gun I shoot quicker and better when I don’t cheat. See the bird and move with it. Mount to your sight picture. Trust your mount. Keep moving and cut it lose. With a motion mount, you have ample time if your mount is sound and you trust it. On station 8, if you can stick the mount, it is an easy target.
Good luck mastering low gun, it is more fun.
Willie T

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:41 pm 
Limited Edition

I started shooting low gun years ago. It started when I got into wobble skeet. I got so used to it I even drop and reshoulder the gun between birds on doubles. Once you get used to it, it becomes very quick and smooth. People laugh but on doubles I do what the guys call “my dance”. Call for bird, shoulder gun, shoot first bird, drop stock, slide lead foot over for better position on second bird, pick up second bird, shoudering gun simultaneously, shoot second bird. It just becomes a smooth routine after a while. You soon learn to pick up the lead as the gun is coming up and fire when the gun hits the shoulder. Works for me anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:28 pm 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
now you know why old skeet guns never had pads on them. they stick to your clothes.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/