ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre shot routine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:36 pm 
Presentation Grade

What is yours? Are there any video clips that cover this topic?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Pre shot routine
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:00 pm 
Tournament Grade

First thing I think about after getting on the station is where I want to break the target. That will automatically take me to my feet position as I want to be at my most comfortable body position when I break the target. Mentally see the lead, mount the gun towards my break point while telling myself "head on the gun, eye on the target", bring the gun back to my hold point, call for the bird. I bring the gun down after each target and start the process over. On doubles basically the same thing except my body position is more towards where I will break the second target.

NSSA Level 1 Instructor
NSSA Referee
NSSA Life Member
NRA Member

Last edited by superskeet on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

superskeet wrote:
First thing I think about after getting on the station is where I want to break the target. That will automatically take me to my feet position as I want to be at most my comfortable body position when I break the target. Mentally see the lead, mount the gun towards my break point while telling myself "head on the gun, eye on the target", bring the gun back to my hold point, call for the bird. On doubles basically the same thing except my body position is more towards where I will break the second target.

{hs# Thank You

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:55 am 
Limited Edition

superskeet wrote:
First thing I think about after getting on the station is where I want to break the target. That will automatically take me to my feet position as I want to be at my most comfortable body position when I break the target. Mentally see the lead, mount the gun towards my break point while telling myself "head on the gun, eye on the target", bring the gun back to my hold point, call for the bird. I bring the gun down after each target and start the process over. On doubles basically the same thing except my body position is more towards where I will break the second target.
{hs#

That is pretty much what I did in my Halcyon years. Only thing I will add is that I put a lot of effort into mentally seeing the lead before mounting the gun. Surprisingly, that takes a lot of mental energy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:06 am 
Limited Edition

Unless today is your first day shooting skeet you should already have the routine committed to memory and do it without even thinking about it. Nothing changes on the field, it hasn't changed in decades, today won't be any different. Maybe that's why I feel burned out on Skeet and have gone to Sporting Clays. At least there is a remote possibility that someone moved the trap a foot to the left or right... Heaven forbid.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:08 am 
Tournament Grade

Bailey Boat wrote:
Unless today is your first day shooting skeet you should already have the routine committed to memory and do it without even thinking about it. Nothing changes on the field, it hasn't changed in decades, today won't be any different. Maybe that's why I feel burned out on Skeet and have gone to Sporting Clays. At least there is a remote possibility that someone moved the trap a foot to the left or right... Heaven forbid.....

About the same here. If I am seeing the bird well and relaxed I will shoot well. About 3 seconds of focus on a target is what I need. I keep it simple. Step on the pad and square up about 10’ in front of the stake. Load the shotgun. Turn back to the house and look for the bird and say pull.
The more gyrations I go through, the quicker mental fatigue sets in and I lose focus.
Willie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Funny but even though the field has never changed, I always start each station by getting mentally set by standing on the station, looking from high house to low house and just taking a second to orientate myself visually and mentally. Once orientated, then foot placement is essential. Get your body in the right position for a smooth, continuous swing. Now visually establish your desired break point. Mount the gun, swing from break point to your hold point. Stop. Call for bird, focus on the target, pull the trigger and keep swinging!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:36 pm 
Field Grade

"Pull!"