ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: skeet is hard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:39 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I have been shooting with a group of guys,( up to 7), for 5 years . Yesterday was the first time two of us shot a 25 in the same round. 25s are not that rare but never has there been two in the same round.
Is this normal or are we just poor shooters? :lol:

Post subject: Re: skeet is hard
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:47 am 
Field Grade

I don't really pay attention, but in 3 years I remember one person getting 25 once. I shoot around 100 rounds of skeet a year with a group of 4 diehards that shoot every week and 6 to 10 others that shoot when they can.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:05 pm 
Presentation Grade

Well you guys would be impressed at the club I shoot, 23's & 24's are routine and there are guy's who shoot 25 every time I've been there, even in 410. I've shot some 25's with my MOD choke 870 and a couple with the FULL choke Model 12. I'm not the skeet robot, the most I've ever ran (1 time, Skeet choke 870) in my life was 98 I missed station 8 on my last set of 25.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:14 pm 
Crown Grade

I can't help but smile. A few years ago when we were still shooting skeet league, my 14 year old son shot his first 25 straight doing a makeup round. His mom, also a good skeet shooter, spent lots of time trying to explain to him that this was pretty rare and not to get upset when it didn't happen every time. Two days later when shooting our regular skeet league round, three out of our 4 man squad ran 50 straights, including my son and me. His mom didn't give him too much skeet advice after that.

He turned into a really fine skeet competitor. I took up sporting clays!

If you want 25s, you have to practice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

wrfish wrote:
I have been shooting with a group of guys,( up to 7), for 5 years . Yesterday was the first time two of us shot a 25 in the same round. 25s are not that rare but never has there been two in the same round.

A lot of people say "skeet is easy." And, they are correct if they are looking at each individual target. There are really no "hard" shots on a skeet field.

But the goal is to break 25s and 100s!

That's not easy!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:40 pm 
Crown Grade

A few years ago I watched Valery Shomin, the Russian skeet Champion miss his last target for a new 125/125 World record. He had obviously shot the same target thousands of times without a miss, but the pressure was too much. A perfect round of Skeet is definitely not easy, it is the game of perfection.

http://www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:17 pm 
Presentation Grade

wrfish wrote:

Nah, I'd say you all are about normal. Today, about 15 shooters shot probably a total of 40 rounds. I was the only one who shot a 25. And, this included two fellows who are AA across the board. Only one of the shooters shot a 12 gauge. There were a couple 20 gauges and the rest were 28 and .410.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:37 pm 
Field Grade

I did not take that into consideration, the really good shooters at my club almost always shoot 28ga or 410. I am not great shoot 21-22 normally best I have ever shot was a 23 and furthest I have made it without a miss is station 6.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:24 pm 
Limited Edition

pete blakeley wrote:
A few years ago I watched Valery Shomin, the Russian skeet Champion miss his last target for a new 125/125 World record. He had obviously shot the same target thousands of times without a miss, but the pressure was too much. A perfect round of Skeet is definitely not easy, it is the game of perfection.

http://www.peteblakeley.com

I thought Vincent Hancock already has that World record.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:48 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
skeet shooting isn't hard. navigating the rules and regs and things designed to aid or trip you up...is.
I got tired of getting the big 100-200, etc...
I began to view it like salmon swimming upstream. more often, the current pushed you downstream. sometimes you got to jump further upstream. eventually, in the end, you got wore out and floated back towards the sea to start again.
and it never ended. every year, that same river over and over.

so now I took out the stress and cost of the pro' side of the game. I make 25 my simple goal. to make it more interesting, I visit 4 different clubs looking to combine the 25's at each one, to hit 100 at 4 different clubs. I meet different people, shoot different backdrops, travel different roads, different conditions, and still have fun. if I drop a bird, I just keep going to another club.
to mix it up, I change guns. pump, o&u, semi, lever.
youre not a poor shot. you just might be stuck in a rut. mix it up and who knows, you might shoot better than where you are.
keep having fun!

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Rules and regs ‘designed’ to trip up the shooters!? Wow, that a new take on perspectives.....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

This may sound strange, but I don't think you can tell by the score! First, I mainly shoot the sub gauges, in particular, the 28 ga. but, I will also shoot different guns. For example I will periodically pull out my CSMC RBL SxS 20 ga. just because I like shooting it. I have several different skeet guns that I will use, just to use them. I do not expect to shoot the same scores, neither do I expect to shoot the best scores every week.
So, when you say "skeet is hard", I assume you mean shooting 25 straight. That is a true statement. But I do not go out every week expecting to shoot 25 straight. I have mental lapses, use different guns, and, most, importantly shoot for fun.
When things are going well, I will shoot doubles at 3, 4 and 5. Again, I don't expect to shoot 25 straight.
Just my thoughts.
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

Of the group of 3 regulars I shoot with, one of us will shoot a straight round out of four rounds. Usually, it's more than one of us, unless, like yesterday, the weather (wind, rain) was really crappy. We're out there almost every weekend, so we shoot "a lot".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 pm 
Presentation Grade

One of the most stressful rounds of skeet was when all 4 of us were clean stepping up to station eight. Pretty cool feeling when the last guy was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:48 am 
Diamond Grade

Many moons ago I shot practice rounds every Tuesday with 4 AA skeet shooters in all four gages. A few of which are now in the Wisconsin skeet hall of fame. They pretty much never missed with 20 gage which they all shot in the 12 gage event. Practice was only a few regular rounds just to warm up, and then it was all doubles on 3, 4, and 5. You’d line up and when you missed you went to end of line. Goal was to be first in line when dust settled. I pretty much was always last! I only shot the traveling 50 target winter league in snow and cold for fun and never got into registered shooting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:09 pm 
Presentation Grade

For perspective ,in a well attended state , zone , or other major skeet tournament about 10 percent of the shooters in 12-20-28 ga will shoot 100 straights.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:16 pm 
Crown Grade

In my experience that is not normal. Where I shoot it is not unusual for two or three out of a squad to shoot a straight in the same round.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:31 pm 
Crown Grade

pknimrod wrote:
I do not go out every week expecting to shoot 25 straight.

A person's expectations often pay a significant roll in actual performance.