ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Skeet- pulling (best practices)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:46 pm 
Crown Grade

This could all be solved by going back to the original rule of up to 3 second delay from the call. No wait-that is blasphemy! :shock:

Next thing is that people would not be able to keep gun mounted for entire 3 second interval of time and would assume more of low gun style position and then call! What insanity are you screaming now, Bill! :evil:

I am just kidding of course, because it is much too late for NSSA to revert back to much earlier (and tougher) rules. So be it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:24 pm 
Tournament Grade

Getting good pulls, when shooting informally, is a difficult thing. Other shooters talking, the puller listening to conversations, etc. are some reasons for bad pulls.

In my experience, explaining how to pull, is a good thing. Most pullers want to get it right. A good ref will apply slight pressure to the button and crush the button on the first sound. Of course, keeping the conversation down and having a puller who pays attention is necessary. Sometimes, folks shooting on an adjacent field can cause a good referee to pull fast. A shooter, whose call mimics a Canadian Goose, can cause "fast pulls" 2 fields away.

Then again, some shooters just have "chronic complaint syndrome" and cannot be pleased. I was on a squad that had a complaining shooter. The ref was doing an excellent job. The ref, finally, had enough of the complaining and told the guy. "If you complain again, I'll show you just how many times I can divide 1 second." The guy ceased with his complaints.

I was referring one squad when a shooter accused me of slow pulling him on low one. He shot, missed high one, replaced the shell and shot his option. Missed the option and before the target made it past the low house called for low one. If I slow pulled him, it wasn't more than 1/4 second. Heck, I was giving him the benefit of a doubt and watching the bird until it hit the ground.

Anticipation is a killer for referees. A shooter who gets on the station parks the gun and waits 4 to 5 seconds before calling, usually has fast and slow pulls.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

Couple of thoughts about your comments. You said a good referee will keep slight pressure on the button and crush it when the target is called for. Are you inferring that if the referee crushes the button it will cause the electricity to flow through the cord faster to get to the machine and result in a cleaner more immediate bird flight ? I pretty much call poppycock. I’ve refereed thousands of rounds and pulled for friend and foe. Just touch the button when the target is called for. No crushing is required. Anyone that finds fault with that while shooting on my squad will pretty quickly be looking for different shooting partners. When I was shooting competitively many years ago I was a AA shooter in all four guns. I can probably count on one hand when a referee and I had an actual disagreement on what was a slow pull. Now that I’m just shooting with friends for the camaraderie fast or slow doesn’t make much difference. If the pull is fast and the target gets away from the shooter we just throw another target. If it’s a slow pull, a lot depends on the station. Give me a slow pull on high two or low six and I might ask for another target. Pull me slow on just about any other target and I could care less unless it’s doubles on two or six. That doesn’t count shooting doubles all around or in pairs on three, four, and five. A referee watching a shooter and trying to anticipate his call often results in too quick of a target. Regardless, life ain’t perfect. If you ain’t at the World in San Antonio don’t sweat it.

Lastly, and this is just a pet peeve. There is no such thing as a Canadian goose. The proper name is Canada goose.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:52 am 
Presentation Grade

amboy49 wrote:
Just touch the button when the target is called for. No crushing is required.

You obviously haven't used some of the stiffer, less-sensitive buttons that are available out there. Your method would result in 25 straight no-birds with the wireless Long-Range remotes one of my nearby clubs uses :lol:

However, I think all oldskeetshooter meant by "crush the button" was a concerted, purposeful, immediate pressing of the button.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:20 am 
Tournament Grade

I’ve never used a wireless button. The response was written pretty much tongue in cheek. The cords we have to deal with where I shoot are, oftentimes, problematic. It’s kind of a standing joke that if we push the button harder it will cause the electric impulse to travel more quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:14 pm 
Crown Grade

It's been my experience there will always be a person or two at the club that most shooters learn to avoid handing the pickle, but they will still get hold of it on occasion.

If you are shooting recreational target practice it's not worth mentioning. If you let it ruin your round; reconsider your priorities.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Some guys just don't have the reflexes to give timely pulls or the concentration it requires. Most want to participate in conversation and don't the full comprehend the responsibility of pulling the birds when the "P" part of "Pull" is heard. The club recently acquired a voice activated puller for a single guy that is shooting alone on the skeet field. This might be a solution as the technology becomes more available.

Although somewhat off topic, I enjoy taking my grandsons to the skeet range with me; one will score the round, the other will pull the birds. Often the club is slow enough that when we do this I am the only shooter. Yup, I have a few slow pulls, or singles when doubles are called for, but it's fun to get the boys out there to begin their shooting experiences. Soon they will be able to handle a youth model gun and then the fun will really begin!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:59 am 
Tournament Grade

At my old club, every once in a while to change things up, my squad would shoot International/Olympic style skeet. We had a wireless release system that could be programmed to vary release times. Low gun, faster targets, different sequences and variable delay. I like the variety and find it both fun and challenging. When I competed in NSSA, I expected a consistent puller, but as a recreational shooter now, I like changing things up. I think it makes me a better shooter. It does wonders for your humility as well. International skeet is a LOT harder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:39 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot all the time on Delay to get in early practice so I'm not at all bothered by a slow pull. Fact is that in many tournaments the machines are setup for a random delay up to 3 seconds. So I just don't get it why the puller has to throw the clay the exact moment you say Pull. However due the Arthritis in both of my thumbs the guys I shoot with never ask me to pull and I am just fine with that. While I can use my fingers it won't ever be as fast as what a good thumb push can do.

One thing I've learned is that Skeet shooters can be a rather particular bunch and then there are the superstitions. There is one member who wont shoot a round of Skeet with his right shoe laced up because when he shot his first 25 he found the laces on his right show had come untied. We have another who has a real ritual worked up, bring the gun to the hold point then sweep it to the break point and then back to ready then wait 3 seconds. Just one time this isn't that bad, however after exactly 3 cycles of doing this you'll see some of the shooters on his squad doing the foot to foot rock. I suspect that a good comedian could spend a day at a Skeet Range and come away with enough material to keep an audience rolling in the isles for an hour or two.