ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Left eye dominance and station low 8
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I’m left eye dominant and a right handed shooter. I’ve been shooting skeet for 30 years. I have a piece of tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses. Lately I’ve been missing station 8 low house. I’ve just about come to the conclusion that my left eye is taking over when I’m tracking the target. This didn’t pose a problem when I was really shooting well during the years I was shooting registered targets. Now, in my seventh decade, it’s become an issue.

I used to shoot with my left eye closed but long ago I came to the realization that was a huge disadvantage when shooting high two as I was late seeing the target. It also wreaks havoc with my depth perception.

I think, quite frankly, I can get away with closing my left eye for low 8. I don’t need any peripheral vision for that target and it will keep my left eye from taking over. Wondering if any shooters with an eye dominance problem ever have to deal with this - especially low 8.

BTW, please don’t suggest I learn to shoot left handed. Ain’t gonna happen.

Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Left eye dominance and station low 8
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:54 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm left eye dominant, right handed. Had been shooting one eye closed or with tape all my shooting life(since 1967). A few months ago I decided I wanted to try to do something to improve my shooting and I knew that if I could figure out how to shoot 2 eyes open would be the best thing I could do. Did some research and discovered this: https://www.shootsp.co.uk/. I've been shooting both eyes open ever since and will never go back to one eyed.

If you decide to stay one eyed my best suggestion is to be sure you are focused hard on the target when it comes out of the house. Sounds like you may be peeking at the front bead. Also check the position of your tape. I used to check mine by mounting my gun and pointing it at myself in a mirror. If placed properly your left eye should not be taking over. Maybe try a different hold point that might help with seeing it come out. Even with the bottom of the house and 3 feet out should give you the best look at the target. And of course be sure you are good with your other fundamentals such as good foot position and keeping your head down and follow through. It's very easy to lift your head and stop your gun on Station 8.

NSSA Level 1 Instructor
NSSA Referee
NSSA Life Member
NRA Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:28 am 
Presentation Grade

I shoot right handed and am left eye dominate. I close my left eye on station 8 high and low. I have tape on my glasses and keep both eyes open on every station but 8. Works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:51 am 
Limited Edition

I'm glad I got my two kids (both right handed, left eye dominant) shooting left handed from day one after hearing stories like this. Some suggested the tape, vaseline on the glasses trick, but that seemed terrible for anything but clays (I couldn't imagine hunting with tape on one lens!) and it seemed like they would fight this their whole lives.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:56 am 
Field Grade

Same for me
Right hand, central dominate, tape on glasses
tried every thing and only way can hit H8 or L8 is close left eye
doesn't make sense to me, but doing this I'm very consistent on station 8 (99%)
don't worry about what everyone tells you to do
If closing a eye puts a 'X' on scorecard - do it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 am 
Limited Edition

amboy49 wrote:
I think, quite frankly, I can get away with closing my left eye for low 8.

Maybe. Try it. Please let us know if that helped.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:22 am 
Tournament Grade

It did occur to me to try one other thing. I have a hooded front “sight” on one of my skeet guns. It fits on the front of the rib attached at the muzzle. When I mount the gun properly the fiber optic is visible with my right eye only. If my head is improperly aligned on the stock or my left is trying to take over the fiber isn’t visible.

I’ve found that using this fiber optic enables me to ensure I’m on the gun properly and it helps focus my right eye. Once I’ve made my “spot check” I disregard the front optic when shooting and don’t see it.

I no longer shoot for arms and legs in registered skeet and like to shoot all the guns I own. This means I may shoot my dedicated skeet gun one day (Krieghoff with custom fitted stock), a 20 ga Model 12 with a modified choke, a Browning XS skeet, etc. None of my guns truly fit me exactly the same way. Applying a hooded fiber optic helps me make sure my right eye is aligned with the axis of the rib/barrel. I think I may buy a couple more of these and give that a try. I may also try closing my left eye as well.

Thanks all for the comments

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by amboy49 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:27 am 
Limited Edition

Try one-eye on 8 first.

amboy49 wrote:
It did occur to me to try one other thing. I have a hooded front “sight” on one of my skeet guns. It fits on the front of the rib attached at the muzzle. When I mount the gun properly the fiber optic is visible with my right eye only. If my head is improperly aligned on the stock or my left is trying to take over the fiber isn’t visible.

I’ve found that using this fiber optic enables me to ensure I’m on the gun properly and it helps focus my right eye. Once I’ve made my “spot check” I disregard the the front optic when shooting and don’t see it.

I no longer shoot for arms arms and legs in registered skeet and like to shoot all the guns I own. This means I may shoot my dedicated skeet gun one day (Krieghoff with custom fitted stock), a 20 ga Model 12 with a modified choke, a Browning XS skeet, etc. None of my guns truly fit me exactly the same way. Applying a hooded fiber optic helps me make sure my right eye is aligned with the axis of the rib/barrel. I think I may buy a couple more of these and give that a try. I may also try closing my left eye as well.

Thanks all for the comments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm right handed, right eye dominant - but a few years ago I found that I was having big issues with low 8. I finally decided to close my left eye, and problem solved. I also now close my left eye for low 1 single.

Eye dominance, to say the least, is a complicated matter. I don't have a piece of tape on my left lens, and shoot with both eyes open on all of the other targets. But there's something about low 8 - and to a lesser extent low 1 - that allows my left eye to try to take over.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

Shot just a few low 8’s this week employing the closing my left eye technique. I think it was a definite improvement. Didn’t miss a one. Never thought to try it on high one.

Not saying it’s foolproof - but I do think the shooting position and target path on low 8 make it more likely that the right eye - left eye thing can be a problem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:01 pm 
Field Grade

There is a new product that I read about that that’s supposed to help. Not specifically with low 8, just with eye dominance issues. Just search for ‘SP eye dominance’ and you’ll find information about it. I put a temporary home made version on my gun for trial before buy purposes. Still trialing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:04 pm 
Tournament Grade

I ran across that. Don’t think it’s worth $125 though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:56 pm 
Tournament Grade

Close your eye and dust it. Easiest target on the field.
Mike B

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:07 am 
Presentation Grade

When I am struggling on H & L 8 it is because I am shifting my weight during my swing. I might be wrong, but I never heard Todd Bender or Paul Giambrone recommend closing one eye.

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:23 pm 
Utility Grade

I was struggling with this issue. As we get older our eye dominance begins to change or weaken.
I started to have issues with low 1 and particularly low 8. As low 8 gets closer, if your right eye dominate, the left eye will begin to take over and you will actually shoot in front. The simplest solution is to close your left eye. You don’t need the depth perception or peripheral vision for that target, or low 1 if it is an issue. A couple of years ago LP wrote an article on this very subject.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:00 pm 
Presentation Grade

Left eyed and have always shot left handed. Recent uncorrectable eye problems with my left eye make the corrected vision in my right eye better than that in the left. After training myself to shoot both eyes open for the last 40+ years, closing that right eye is hard to do. I tried slightly blurring the right lens with a crayola, which especially seemed to help on station 8. Clean it off after the event, no residue or scratches.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

amboy49 wrote:
I’m left eye dominant and a right handed shooter. I’ve been shooting skeet for 30 years. I have a piece of tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses. Lately I’ve been missing station 8 low house. I’ve just about come to the conclusion that my left eye is taking over when I’m tracking the target.

If you have the tape on there, how can your eye see through it and take over? Once upon a time I used the tape also, back many years. I never was able to see through it, and never had any doubt about where the target was in relation to the gun. The whole idea of the tape is to block off that eye from seeing the target. It sounds like your problem is something else. There are lots of things that can go wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

The purpose of the tape is to fuzz out the focus of tue left eye to ensure the right eye becomes the primary eye for distance vision. I’ve come to the conclusion, when shooting low eight, that the target trajectory results in me being to “seeing around” the tape. As I’ve gotten older it takes just a little bit longer to pick up the target. Instead of shooting the target in front of me, so to speak, I’m now shooting over my left shoulder. This opens my left side and when turning to pivot for the target and raising the gun I believe I am subsequently having my left eye take over.

I shot again today, notwithstanding the 25 degree temps, and when my glasses weren’t fogging up I broke all the low eights shooting with just my right eye open.

Still work to be done, I think.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:06 am 
Limited Edition

For all you guys that use tape, vaseline, dots, etc., do any of you hunt and if so, do you do anything for hunting or only clays shooting?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:26 am 
Tournament Grade

amboy49 wrote:
The purpose of the tape is to fuzz out the focus of tue left eye to ensure the right eye becomes the primary eye for distance vision. I’ve come to the conclusion, when shooting low eight, that the target trajectory results in me being to “seeing around” the tape. As I’ve gotten older it takes just a little bit longer to pick up the target. Instead of shooting the target in front of me, so to speak, I’m now shooting over my left shoulder. This opens my left side and when turning to pivot for the target and raising the gun I believe I am subsequently having my left eye take over.

I shot again today, notwithstanding the 25 degree temps, and when my glasses weren’t fogging up I broke all the low eights shooting with just my right eye open.

Still work to be done, I think.

According to you closing your eye only fixed half your problem. You may be hitting the target today, but what about next time when that other problem of taking longer to pick up the target causes you miss? One of 2 reasons you may be peeking around the tape: 1) Your eyes are moving up with the target and not your gun causing you to look over the tape, and(or) 2) you don't have enough tape on your glasses. Frankly I think you should address seeing the target quicker by experimenting with different hold points and feet positions.

NSSA Level 1 Instructor
NSSA Referee
NSSA Life Member
NRA Member