ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Left eye dominance and station low 8
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:47 am 
Presentation Grade

Can you please tell me one great skeet shooter who shot station 8 with one eye closed. Does Mike Schmidt? Did Wayne Mayes? I am not asking this question to challenge anyone's opinion. I want to get to where I never miss at station 8. Maybe shooting with one eye closed is a good solution. I am saying that when I was really struggling at station 8 and closing one eye, well it just didn't work. When I stopped shifting my weight - I didn't even realize I was doing it - I started hitting station 8 targets much more consistently.

Randy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:38 am 
Limited Edition

IMHO - One eye everywhere, or two eyes everywhere. One or the other. Name your poison.

KISS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:33 pm 
Tournament Grade

superskeet wrote:
amboy49 wrote:
The purpose of the tape is to fuzz out the focus of tue left eye to ensure the right eye becomes the primary eye for distance vision. I’ve come to the conclusion, when shooting low eight, that the target trajectory results in me being to “seeing around” the tape. As I’ve gotten older it takes just a little bit longer to pick up the target. Instead of shooting the target in front of me, so to speak, I’m now shooting over my left shoulder. This opens my left side and when turning to pivot for the target and raising the gun I believe I am subsequently having my left eye take over.

I shot again today, notwithstanding the 25 degree temps, and when my glasses weren’t fogging up I broke all the low eights shooting with just my right eye open.

Still work to be done, I think.

According to you closing your eye only fixed half your problem. You may be hitting the target today, but what about next time when that other problem of taking longer to pick up the target causes you miss? One of 2 reasons you may be peeking around the tape: 1) Your eyes are moving up with the target and not your gun causing you to look over the tape, and(or) 2) you don't have enough tape on your glasses. Frankly I think you should address seeing the target quicker by experimenting with different hold points and feet positions.

I appreciate your comments. However, I’ve considered the two things you suggest - foot position and hold point. My foot position doesn’t restrict my gun movement to track the target. I recognized my deterioration in acquiring the target and have experimented with moving my hold point out to the left of the window opening and up as well. I am very resistant to simply chalking this up to “old” age as I shoot with others who are my senior by at least a decade and they are not experiencing this problem. I have had regular visits to my optometrist and he has found nothing out of the ordinary.

I was hoping for warmer weather to shoot more but today and tomorrow temps will not rise above 10 degrees Fahrenheit and we are supposed to receive 10-12” of snow. Damn Biden. I’m blaming him for the freakishly cold Midwest weather which has extended all the way down into Texas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:38 pm 
Tournament Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
Can you please tell me one great skeet shooter who shot station 8 with one eye closed. Does Mike Schmidt? Did Wayne Mayes? I am not asking this question to challenge anyone's opinion. I want to get to where I never miss at station 8. Maybe shooting with one eye closed is a good solution. I am saying that when I was really struggling at station 8 and closing one eye, well it just didn't work. When I stopped shifting my weight - I didn't even realize I was doing it - I started hitting station 8 targets much more consistently.

Randy

There are those of us who are actually mere mortals unlike Schmidt and Mayes. Trying to mimic the shooting qualities of those two would be like me trying to participate in limitless batting practice so that I can attain Hank Aaron capabilities. So we have to recognize our shortcomings and make the appropriate allowances..

Last edited by amboy49 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I'm right eye dominant, but at one time I had issues with the left eye taking over on H1 and L8.

I found I could prevent my eyes from shifting if a momentarily closed my left eye and focused on the front bead for a second before calling for the target. Then opened both eyes and called for the target.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:57 pm 
Limited Edition

randyflycaster wrote:
Can you please tell me one great skeet shooter who shot station 8 with one eye closed.

I know of at least one.

When we had the Skeet Shooting Review they regularly interviewed World Champions and First Team Open All-Americans. They often asked if they shot one-eyed or two-eyed. Many replied they shot one-eyed.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:20 pm 
Limited Edition

randyflycaster wrote:
When I am struggling on H & L 8 it is because I am shifting my weight during my swing. I might be wrong, but I never heard Todd Bender or Paul Giambrone recommend closing one eye.

Randy

Well, I've heard both of them say that it is not uncommon for right handed shooters to have an issue with the left eye trying to take over at low 8. Not in a video or an article, but in a personal conversation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:51 pm 
Utility Grade

I knew Wayne Mayes for a while. When he lived in Rhode Island fhe belonged to same gun club that I did and I was able to #hoot with him on occasion.
A couple of years before he died he came back to RI to give some lessons. I was having issues with low 8. Not only did he suggest that I close my left eye he moved my hold point 6 feet out and 6 feet up. It worked for me.
Also, LP Giambrone did write an article for Clay Target Nation a couple of years ago addressing the same issue. I am getting old and my memory isn’t what it used to be, but I’m pretty sure he suggested closing the left eye as a possible solution.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:49 pm 
Field Grade

randyflycaster wrote:
When I am struggling on H & L 8 it is because I am shifting my weight during my swing. I might be wrong, but I never heard Todd Bender or Paul Giambrone recommend closing one eye.

Randy

I experienced an entirely similar issue to the OP a few years ago and at that time was fortunate enough to have a lesson with LP. His recommendation was to close my left eye on L8 which worked almost immediately for me. I’ve since had my left eye treated for astigmatism while also “depowering” my left lens which corrected this need to close the eye, positively impacted my consistency, & how I look at targets.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:34 pm 
Tournament Grade

Part of my problem may also be the result of another possibility. My distance vision is a little compromised and, as a result, my optometrist has given me some thing called mono vision. I wear one contact lense in my right eye. It enables me to see clearly and in focus near and far. As I mentioned the weather here in Indiana has been very cold this year. Knowing my shooting performance will be less than stellar I haven’t bothered in putting in my single contact lense. Most likely I am not seeing the target crystal clear with my right eye.

All of the little pieces to the puzzle contribute to success. . . . . . or failure, as the case may be.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:25 am 
Field Grade

When it comes to eye dominance, I’ve learned that everyone has an opinion! I also have learned that as we age it becomes a constant chase for my eyes. Some days my eyes are better than others. Some days my left eye has a mind of its own and tries to dominate crossing shots. Some days I simply see the targets better - never had that issue until I got in the other side of 40.

I too have struggled with low 8 on some days when my eyes are whacky. I think it’s important to recognize that your eyes can change day to days and be ready to recognize what is happening on that day and make adjustments that will help YOU hit targets that day.

It’s very similar to other sports in that way. Be prepared to adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 am 
Presentation Grade

Thanks for your information. I will experiment again with closing one eye.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:46 pm 
Field Grade

MNGunner wrote:
For all you guys that use tape, vaseline, dots, etc., do any of you hunt and if so, do you do anything for hunting or only clays shooting?

Yes I use a magic dot for hunting really helps and it doesn't hinder me walking.