ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First time in a tournament
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:59 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

And sadly I probably will do not another as I found no enjoyment in it. I am not use to standing that long and it effects my back. I found no time to know my squad mates ,too much hurry hurry hurry and walking around like ducks in a row. It was not what I expected. At my home range we have several benches where we can sit and visit while waiting our turn, a very relaxed atmosphere and I will stick to that. I enjoy skeet but this was a different game. Each to their own.

Post subject: Re: First time in a tournament
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:17 pm 
Limited Edition

You could go to Walmart and get a foldable stool, and carry with you to each station.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:23 pm 
Crown Grade

Or go shoot sporting clays!

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

You didn't get an idea of what was entailed in registered skeet when you attended a shoot as a spectator last year?

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:07 pm 
Tournament Grade

The atmosphere you are describing actually sounds pretty ideal for shooting registered skeet. Most registered skeet shooters, including myself formerly, don’t really want or welcome much chit chat during the actual rounds. Most of us are working our mental game and focused on shooting at our individual best. Most of us also like to shoot at a good pace because maintaining that mental game takes energy and focus and we are thinking about the targets, our routine, our breaks, the conditions, adjustments to leads, hold points, or break points we are considering, etc. It’s work. Fun, but definitely work. If I was shooting registered and someone I didn’t know well kept trying to talk to me, I would politely ask them if we could chat after the 100.

That being said, the clubhouse, the Saturday dinner, and the parking lot during registered events are great places to seek out the atmosphere and social aspect that you seek. But during the rounds and unless you know your squadmates well, it’s best to go with the squad’s pace and save the chit chat for after the event.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

you need to find other individuals who want to enjoy skeet the same way that you do, and get on a squad with them.

Skeet is what you make it. I , like others, don't want a bunch of talk and socializing during registered skeet.....that is for practice and League shooting. But I know other guys who like it and they squad together.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:59 pm 
Crown Grade

From another thread you started:

wrfish wrote:
I have been shooting with a group of guys,( up to 7), for 5 years . Yesterday was the first time two of us shot a 25 in the same round. 25s are not that rare but never has there been two in the same round.
Is this normal or are we just poor shooters? :lol:

You need to get those guys to form a squad with you for tournament skeet.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:48 pm 
Limited Edition

upland refugee wrote:
The atmosphere you are describing actually sounds pretty ideal for shooting registered skeet. Most registered skeet shooters, including myself formerly, don’t really want or welcome much chit chat during the actual rounds. Most of us are working our mental game and focused on shooting at our individual best. Most of us also like to shoot at a good pace because maintaining that mental game takes energy and focus and we are thinking about the targets, our routine, our breaks, the conditions, adjustments to leads, hold points, or break points we are considering, etc. It’s work. Fun, but definitely work. If I was shooting registered and someone I didn’t know well kept trying to talk to me, I would politely ask them if we could chat after the 100.

That being said, the clubhouse, the Saturday dinner, and the parking lot during registered events are great places to seek out the atmosphere and social aspect that you seek. But during the rounds and unless you know your squadmates well, it’s best to go with the squad’s pace and save the chit chat for after the event.

This right here is registered skeet in a nut shell. Hell the social gathering and partaking in spirits along camper row at St Joe Valley Gun Club St Joe Indiana is the bomb. Man sometimes I have paid for it come 9:00 AM Sunday morning 28 gauge flight.

Kicker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

oneounceload wrote:
Or go shoot sporting clays!

Thats exactly what I did. I entered a benefit shoot today and found it enjoyable

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:04 pm 
Crown Grade

Good for you! Now go shoot AFTER a registered tournament before they change the targets and see how you like some of the tougher presentations. Some folks, like me, like the challenge of harder targets; some do not. If you find you like the tougher challenge, then try a registered shoot

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:50 pm 
Limited Edition

I shoot tournaments for precisely the reasons the original poster stated he won’t be doing so. My skills don’t improve when shooting recreational rounds which are slow and unevenly paced with incessant banter amongst the squad while someone is shooting. That’s why I don’t shoot leagues anymore, they tend to be drinking events, not shooting events. For me competition is a serious endeavor. Shooting for fun and laughs with the guys is good, but that’s not what a tournament is about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:48 am 
Crown Grade

wrfish wrote:
And sadly I probably will do not another as I found no enjoyment in it. I am not use to standing that long and it effects my back. I found no time to know my squad mates ,too much hurry hurry hurry and walking around like ducks in a row. It was not what I expected. At my home range we have several benches where we can sit and visit while waiting our turn, a very relaxed atmosphere and I will stick to that. I enjoy skeet but this was a different game. Each to their own.
Good for you. You did it and found out it wasn't your cup of tea. I will not try to change your mind. Registered Skeet is not life or death. A challenge; yes. Hard work to maintain or improve; yes. Required for all shotgun shooters; Hell no.

I would encourage you to go back to shooting with your 7 buddies and enjoy it. I'm 78, have been shooting registered since 1986, and enjoy the heck out of the registered game. It keeps me on my toes mentally. I'm no longer competitive and can't justify the cost to travel anymore, but try to get in 4 or 5 registered shoots each year here in my home state.

Shooting clay targets should be about enjoyment in blowing stuff up and making lots of noise doing it. If you have an additional goal of doing it better than the next guy, then registered is the way to go. But if you just want the laid back kibitzing with your buds while you do it, then I think you have decided on the right track for you. Congatulations and the best of fun to you. And always remember to shoot more and shoot more often.
{hs# :D

Retired

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:13 am 
Crown Grade

Location: somewhere east of the I-95 corridor, until you get to connecticut. but you can bank on vanzant, mo..
wrfish....it does me good to see im not the only one on this site who learned this fact.
if youd like to spend time having fun with us, make the trip to mo twice a year and see the fun side to skeet/trap shooting. competition is for a certain kind of personality. its tense, not fun. or should I say competition in general requires shooters to be totally different people when they step into the ring. the heart rate increases, focus changes, and a do or die attitude is taken on.
this is all required to compete. nothing wrong with it. competitive spirits are good for some. those that can push thru all the pitfalls and perfect the match environment mindset are truly special. but as I aged, I stepped back and asked myself the question everyone eventually does....why?
for those like me who don't like my heart beat to increase with every shot...I stopped. and with what I saw over the years what people would do to have that 30 seconds of fame...helped me step out of the arena for good.
im glad I did. competing is like a hamster on a running wheel that never quits. you learned this early. dont let it ruin your enjoyment of the sport itself.

NRA Shotgun Instructor
Range Owner:
https://606f79f3c2431.site123.me/
https://www.claytargetsonline.com/location/vanzant-clay-pigeon-farm/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:27 pm 
Utility Grade

Yeah, comp skeet is not for everyone.

If you can find or get your own squad together, with like sensibilities, it may be "fun", but for the most part, it is kind of intense. I personally like it a lot.

I have a revolving squad, depending on people's availability, and we all get it that during registered shoots, it doesn't have to be church quiet, but there is a certain level of intensity and focus that needs to be there. We can BS all we want during casual, training rounds but come registered shoot day, everyone knows what's up.

After the round we go back to being casual and loose. Throw back beers and BS and just enjoy the previous round's sucesses and failures and relive them all with a lot of laughs. That's what's it's all about for us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:44 pm 
Tournament Grade

I think it takes a certain type of personality to shoot skeet competitively. I knew a fellow who was an excellent shooter, often ran a straight with his Winchester 101 .410 over and under. However, put any kind of pressure on him and he was barely able to break 15 out f 25. His personality just wasn’t geared to be a competitive shooter.

This is not meant to be a criticism. When I started shooting registered skeet I had a desire to compete and I worked hard on the practice range as well as the mental aspect of competing. I eventually became a AA shooter in all four guns. I had some success and won a few belt buckles. However, time diminished my reflexes, eyesight, and overall competitive capabilities. I still love to shoot skeet a couple of times a week with friends who are similar ability and temperament. I enjoye(d) both of these scenarios. I will admit I like what I’m doing now more.

Shooting skeet competitively is not an inexpensive endeavor. Especially if you’re shooting all four guns. Shells, travel, incidentals, entry fees, etc. all add up quickly. Count yourself lucky you found out early on competing isn’t for you. If nothing else, you’ll be money ahead !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:52 am 
Crown Grade

amboy49 wrote:
Shooting skeet competitively is not an inexpensive endeavor. Especially if you’re shooting all four guns. Shells, travel, incidentals, entry fees, etc. all add up quickly. Count yourself lucky you found out early on competing isn’t for you. If nothing else, you’ll be money ahead !
Boy, you sure got that right. I tracked total expenses for three years back when we were still working and shooting 17/18 tournaments a year. Included were travel, lodging, eats, event fees, shell costs, practice sessions, etc. Ouch! We were spending very close to $30,000/year for each of those 3 years. That was over 20 years ago. The cost today for the same amount of activity would probably be closer to $40,000. That's part of why I only shoot 4 or 5 local events now and only practice a couple times a month. My bride no longer shoots.

Retired