ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which barrel set to tube? Opinions invited.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:28 am 
Field Grade

My regular skeet/sporting gun is a Krieghoff Model 32. The original barrel set is 28" with fixed skeet chokes. I have a 2nd set - 30" with Briley thinwalls.

The 28" barrels weigh 3lb, 4.6 oz. The 30" set is 3lb, 11.8 oz including 4oz of weights from Skeetman. I have been using the 30" barrels exclusively for several years.

I primarily shoot skeet - all 12 gauge. No registered shoots, but I shoot in a winter league here in CT and enter club competitions. Depending on the weather (we shoot regardless of conditions) I average approx. 98/100.

Lately, recoil has started to wear me down to the point where I'm developing a flinch. I'm switching to a Fabarm XLR5 for 12 gauge shooting, and want to have the Model 32 tubed for subgauges.

Here's the question: which barrel set to tube? I don't want to have either reamed out for a carrier barrel. Appreciate your opinions.

Post subject: Re: Which barrel set to tube? Opinions invited.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:41 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If you tube the set with screw ins you will get a set of SKEET chokes made for the tubes. For me, the 2" would not be an issue and I would tube the 28" Barrels, though I love my carrier barrel for my K-80, though I know you said you didn't want to do that.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:52 am 
Tournament Grade

Recently, most skeet shooters are using 30”-32” barrels. But you need to be strong enough to handle a longer/ heavier gun. I would try to borrow a gun to see if you can handle the added weight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:59 am 
Limited Edition

Which barrel do you shoot best?

Is your primary motivation for tubes to obtain a gun with less recoil?

Do you reload?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:19 am 
Field Grade

Thanks for the responses. Yes, my motivation is primarily reduced recoil. I do reload, and I’m already shooting 7/8 @ 1200 FPS.
I use the 30” barrels - I prefer the screw-in chokes to the fixed.
My gun is weighted fore and aft - total weight 9lbs 3oz.
I’m 6’3” and 225lbs and still reasonably fit (for my age - 64.) I have borrowed and shot tubed guns and the forward weight is no problem.

I very much like the XLR5. Whether real or perceived, it shoots much softer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:57 pm 
Presentation Grade

You'll have less of a change in weight with tubing the 28" barrels compared to the 30" barrels you're used to shooting, but the difference would only be about 4-5oz. I'd probably go with the 28" barrels.

You say you only shoot 12ga, are primarily tubing the gun for reduced recoil, and like the XLR5...why not just shoot the XLR5?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:51 pm 
Field Grade

mpolans wrote:

You say you only shoot 12ga, are primarily tubing the gun for reduced recoil, and like the XLR5...why not just shoot the XLR5?

I will start shooting the XLR5, but I really like the 32 and hate to abandon it.
I’m thinking a single pair of 28ga tubes in the 28” barrels. Just for fun.
I have pails of 28ga STS hulls.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

Tubes are heavy. Your 28" barrels would be closer in weight to what your 30" barrels are. You won't notice the 2".

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:09 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No need for tubes if you aren't going to shoot NSSA, just load 3/4 or 7/8oz 12ga.

Alternately, find yourself a set of M32 subgauge barrels. They are out there in the 800-1k range if you look hard enough.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mike Foley wrote:
mpolans wrote:

I will start shooting the XLR5, but I really like the 32 and hate to abandon it.
I’m thinking a single pair of 28ga tubes in the 28” barrels. Just for fun.
I have pails of 28ga STS hulls.

I think you may have just answered your own question- get a 28 gauge only set of Briley companions for the 28” barrels, see how you like them, and sell them later if you still want to upgrade to a full set of fitted or want to go to 30” tubes. It sounds like you might be happy with just the 28 ga., 28” companions. You could go the fitted route but those really can’t be resold without selling the barrels too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:50 pm 
Field Grade

Skeet_Man wrote:
Alternately, find yourself a set of M32 subgauge barrels. They are out there in the 800-1k range if you look hard enough.

I like that idea - thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:37 am 
Tournament Grade

Another thought, if you go with tubes go with 28" companion tubes and you can use them in either barrel.

Or better yet, get a set of the new sidekicks. If you don't like them you can have them converted to full length tube. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with their performance.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:04 am 
Field Grade

As others have suggested you should get tubes for your 28 inch barrel set. I shoot with a Beretta 686 with 30 inch barrels and Briley Ultralight Companion tubes in standard barrels. BTW, the 28 gauge tubes weigh in at 10.7 ounces and Briley tube feature removable chokes. While I don't really notice the extra weight when shooting it is noticeable at the end of the day. The difference is also noticeable when I shoot 12 gauge or with my 20 gauge Beretta 686, the lower weight and perfect balance make it very easy to go overboard on muscling the gun. If you want to make a standard well balanced gun feel "whippy" just shoot 4 or 6 rounds with tubes.

On the plus side 410 is very inexpensive to reload and the recoil is nearly non existent. In addition it make getting solid its a bit more difficult so the thrill of scoring hits you felt at the start of your shooting clays comes back a bit. That difficulty will also assist in improving your skills with the larger bore shells.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:10 am 
Field Grade

Couple thoughts.

As Ian and John Henry post, a 12 ga .75 oz load is great on the skeet field. Lower cost than 28 ga, even in reloads, as the wads are cheaper and 12 ga hulls dang near anywhere.

The option of Sidekicks then asking Briley to upgrade them to Companions is fools gold. I called and asked about doing that with 410 Sidekick 2’s and the cost was about the same as a new set of companions! I sold the sidekick 2’s.

Used companion tubes, no fitting needed, can be found here for about 60% of new. Watch the classifieds, post a want ad, and be patient if you really want a single set of tubes. You could use them for a year or 2 and get most of your money back!

Apex clays sells new tubes and full sets for less than Briley direct! Even with military discount and that I’ve bought several sets of fitted tubes over the years!

Briley’s customer service is great! I bought a set of 20 ga companions for an old side by side that was well used. They had the 1st generation fitting tabs that had been jacked with. I called Briley and they said send them in and we will replace and lathe turn new tabs AT NO COST. I now shoot that old gun much more without the slap to my face from a poor stock fit/ design.

Another option is 20 ga companions and 3/4 oz reloads. Same hull and wad benefits as the 12 ga, but you get some weight to help smooth swing and dampen recoil.

Tom