ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to break the birds on the middle peg
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:05 pm 
Tournament Grade

When you're standing at the last station I believe it is, out in the middle of the field, how do you break them? I tried a few times on the high house and never got a hit. The low house I tried once and got it. I was shooting low gun, and had a fun time playing around on the skeet field. A lot easier game than trap or sc.

Post subject: Re: How to break the birds on the middle peg
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
When you're standing at the last station I believe it is, out in the middle of the field, how do you break them? I tried a few times on the high house and never got a hit. The low house I tried once and got it. I was shooting low gun, and had a fun time playing around on the skeet field. A lot easier game than trap or sc.

If it's so easy, why do you need help?

Fact is, give any novice a gun and have them shoot their first round of skeet and first round of trap, they will almost always score better in trap.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

To break high 8. Hold on the lower right corner of the window. Wait until you actually see the target. Cover it with the gun and pull the trigger. To break low 8: I do not know yet. It is still very iffy for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:46 am 
Crown Grade

Bill M. wrote:
To break high 8. Hold on the lower right corner of the window. Wait until you actually see the target. Cover it with the gun and pull the trigger. To break low 8: I do not know yet. It is still very iffy for me.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:46 am 
Crown Grade

Life of Riley wrote:
A lot easier game than trap or sc.

Yea right :roll: :lol:

That's why most skeet shooter are ex trap shooters who got bored out of their mind shooting trap and most trap shooters are retired skeet shooters with hip arthritis that prevents them from swinging on a skeet target.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:19 am 
Crown Grade

I am going to provide my assessment of the two sports although no one asked for it.

I believe to compete at upper levels in either sport; is is equally difficult! There I said it!

However, both don't compare well with their Olympic versions.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:18 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The skeet vs trap argument can be a lively one. I shoot registered skeet and trap. To put things in perspective, let's say a AA skeet shooter will shoot nearly a perfect score over 300 targets (12, 20, and 28 gauge events). In trap, a AA, 27 yard, AA will rarely shoot a perfect score. That is simply a fact of life. I didn't include the .410 event in skeet to keep pace with the 300 target reference. Wayne Mayes shot 200 perfect 100 target scores with the .410. 16 yard trap can be shot with great proficiency but even the best get fooled occasionally. When it comes to trap handicap, that's where everything changes. There is no comparison between handicap trap and any event in skeet. Throw in trap doubles and things get interesting really quickly. Skeet shooters should give it a try. So to say which sport is 'easier', you decide. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:09 pm 
Utility Grade

I am a skeet shooter who has just started to shoot trap. When someone tells me that trap is boring I have tell them that you must be breaking them all then. When you are missing them it is a heck of a challenge and I am really enjoying the journey of what it takes to break them all, ok, most of them. Anyway, I'm enjoying it and I wish I hadn't waited so long to walk over to the other side o the range. Shayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:30 pm 
Crown Grade

shootingcajun wrote:
The skeet vs trap argument can be a lively one. I shoot registered skeet and trap. To put things in perspective, let's say a AA skeet shooter will shoot nearly a perfect score over 300 targets (12, 20, and 28 gauge events). In trap, a AA, 27 yard, AA will rarely shoot a perfect score. That is simply a fact of life. I didn't include the .410 event in skeet to keep pace with the 300 target reference. Wayne Mayes shot 200 perfect 100 target scores with the .410. 16 yard trap can be shot with great proficiency but even the best get fooled occasionally. When it comes to trap handicap, that's where everything changes. There is no comparison between handicap trap and any event in skeet. Throw in trap doubles and things get interesting really quickly. Skeet shooters should give it a try. So to say which sport is 'easier', you decide. Good luck!

In trap the most difficult is the 27 yard line; in skeet the most difficult is the 410. Hardly a fair comparison if you consider the most difficult part of trap and ignore the most difficult part of skeet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:31 pm 
Limited Edition

Back to the original question. I have found the biggest problem on both high and low 8 is shooters getting behind and never catching up. Therefore I have moved my hold point out from the house a bit. Wait for the bird to come out, swing hard and shoot as the bird disappears behind the barrels and keep swinging. Not perfect, but works for me
As far as skeet vs. trap.
Nothing personal but my biggest complaint with shooting trap is trap shooters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Using the proper hold point on Sta 8, especially the low house, almost allows you to "trap" the bird, shooting it with a dead gun. Very little gun movement required.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 am 
Limited Edition

I shoot low gun skeet. The thing about station 8 is (IMO) once you figure it out, it's pretty simple. When I'm telling new shooters how to shoot it, I tell them to cover the target and shoot. No lead necessary.

Also, I'd start shooting mounted until you figure it out, then move to the low gun mount. Also, when starting mounted gun, I aim directly into the window and track it from there.

Also, I don't find Trap to be easy, particularly from further back from the 16 yard line, but I find it boring. I like crossers. What I do find interesting is that the trap shooters at my club will say how easy skeet is, but never come down and shoot it. I go shoot trap from time to time because, well, I like to shoot stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:22 am 
Presentation Grade

I was missing most of my shots on staton 8. I tried everything to fix my misses: changing hold and look points, closeing one eye, etc. The only thing that finally helped was the realization that I was shifting my weight during the shot.

Now I try to get a little bit ahead of the bird and shoot, without shifting my weight.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:39 am 
Diamond Grade

What I see is mostly is beginners just being too slow with their swing and never catching up, or, lifting their head off the stock to get a real good look at the target. We have a new shooter at our club and yesterday I watched him do exactly that. He pulled the trigger when the target and his head were at about 85 degrees in elevation but his shotgun was stopped somewhere at around 70 degrees.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:22 am 
Tournament Grade

I shoot low gun skeet. New shooters often struggle with 8. They square up to the house, looking in the window, and try to shoot it like an incoming riser, leaning back as it comes. It usually results in trying to catch up to the target. Here is how I shoot 8. Square up 5-10 feet from the pole. Wind back till you are 4-5 feet outside the window. Now you are in front of the target. With your eyes in the window call for the target. You are now set up to swing with it like a crosser. Look at the top front edge of the target and move with it when it comes out. Mount to what you see. Trust it and shoot it. At the steep angle, it comes slow and the front top edge is plenty of lead. Hopefully that helps. Once you get on to it, it is the easiest station on the field.
Willie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:51 pm 
Field Grade

If someone is complaining about Trap being boring just turn on the motor for the Wobble feature. Take a pretty good Trap shooter who's never shot Wobble Trap and flip that switch and he'll be walking in circles trying to figure out how to beat that machine. As for me, I find straight Trap to be just a bit easier than Skeet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:28 pm 
Utility Grade

On both high and low I set up 4 feet outside lower part of the window
I raise my muzzle up and when clay is covered by the muzzle I pull the trigger. If I am seeing the clay when I shoot, I shoot under it every time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

My 2 cents. First I assume that you can shoot station1 Low and Station 7 high OK. Given that, then don't shoot station 8 from station 8! Instead shoot station 8 high from a point between 8 and 7, and shoot 8 low, from a point between station 1 and 8. Many shooters will let you do that, especially if you are the last shooter in the squad, or offer to be. After you have shot a few times, you will feel the speed of the clay target.
Peter.