ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where are all the Skeet guns?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:53 pm 
Field Grade

I shot a lot of skeet about twelve years ago but due to family obligations, I stopped shooting skeet. Anyway, I just got back into it and I can’t believe that no one is really making skeet guns, o/u’s to be exact. Lol! I,d really like my XS skeet back and like the citori’s. Can anyone help me out here with some recommendations? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Where are all the Skeet guns?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:28 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

No market for it, skeet shooters will buy sporting guns or trap guns that fit the bill.

I'm not sure anyone is making what is advertised as a "skeet" gun anymore, Browning may have been the last.

Elite has a Citori CX Skeet they had done for them as a special run (so not a normal production item), that may be the last one left standing.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:38 pm 
Field Grade

So which CX model would be more well suited for skeet shooting? The CX or the CXS? I will check out elite. Thanks for the input.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:41 pm 
Crown Grade

If you mean 26" guns, correct as no one wants those -even the skeet shooters. Look for 30 or 32" guns

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:00 pm 
Field Grade

oneounceload wrote:
If you mean 26" guns, correct as no one wants those -even the skeet shooters. Look for 30 or 32" guns

No, not 26" guns. Thinking 30" will fit the bill.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:04 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Steelie68 wrote:
So which CX model would be more well suited for skeet shooting? The CX or the CXS? I will check out elite. Thanks for the input.

Either or, just depends on if you want 50/50 or 60/40 POI, a flat rib or ramp rib, and a schnable forend or field forend. Won't make a hell of a lot of difference either way.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Kolar and Krieghoff offer the Max Skeet and Pro Skeet, respectively.

But like Skeetman said, these are really standard trap guns, longer barrels, with parallel monte Carlo combs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:17 pm 
Tournament Grade

Steelie68 wrote:

The stock fit is pretty different. The CX has a 14.25 lop and close to a parallel comb with very little drop. The CXS has a 14.75 lop and more drop, similar to a field gun. I would try to shoulder both, one will feel better.

As others have mentioned, the ribs are also different. The CX has a high rib, while the CXS has a flat rib. The stock and the rib differences produce the 50/50 p.o.i. for the CXS vs the 60/40 p.o.i. for the CX. High ribs seem to have hung around in skeet, but have become less popular in sporting clays.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:46 am 
Field Grade

upland refugee wrote:
Steelie68 wrote:

The stock fit is pretty different. The CX has a 14.25 lop and close to a parallel comb with very little drop. The CXS has a 14.75 lop and more drop, similar to a field gun. I would try to shoulder both, one will feel better.

As others have mentioned, the ribs are also different. The CX has a high rib, while the CXS has a flat rib. The stock and the rib differences produce the 50/50 p.o.i. for the CXS vs the 60/40 p.o.i. for the CX. High ribs seem to have hung around in skeet, but have become less popular in sporting clays.

Thank you. Well, my XS Skeet was 14.25 I believe and I do prefer the rib raised. Sounds like maybe leaning towards the CX. I also prefer a parallel comb.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:26 am 
Tournament Grade

Steelie68 wrote:
upland refugee wrote:
Steelie68 wrote:

Thank you. Well, my XS Skeet was 14.25 I believe and I do prefer the rib raised. Sounds like maybe leaning towards the CX. I also prefer a parallel comb.

Yes, you’re right, a CX will be pretty close to an XS in terms of stock & rib configuration, though not a true parallel comb like the XS . . . but close.

The citori skeet gun sold by Elite Shotguns appears to have a CXS stock on it with the beavertail forend from the CXT. I prefer the CX over the CXS and CXT, especially for skeet. You should be able to pick up a CX for around $1800-1900. I would try to get a CX “white” if you can still find one as the receiver finish holds up better to target gun use. It seems like they are going back to the blued receiver after a Shot-show limited run of the white. If you get it tubed, that’s a pretty solid “return to skeet” gun for $4k.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:37 am 
Field Grade

upland refugee wrote:
Steelie68 wrote:
upland refugee wrote:
Steelie68 wrote:

Yes, you’re right, a CX will be pretty close to an XS in terms of stock & rib configuration, though not a true parallel comb like the XS . . . but close.

The citori skeet gun sold by Elite Shotguns appears to have a CXS stock on it with the beavertail forend from the CXT. I prefer the CX over the CXS and CXT, especially for skeet. You should be able to pick up a CX for around $1800-1900. I would try to get a CX “white” if you can still find one as the receiver finish holds up better to target gun use. It seems like they are going back to the blued receiver after a Shot-show limited run of the white. If you get it tubed, that’s a pretty solid “return to skeet” gun for $4k.

I do prefer the white over the blued finish. Hopefully I can find one with a decent piece of furniture on it, but I know the pickings are slim. I'll probably wind up having an adjustable comb put on eventually also, depending how I break those little orange clay disc's. Lol. Thanks for the insight!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:20 am 
Utility Grade

Depending upon how price sensitive you are, a XS Skeet is up for sale at guns international.com item number 101617817.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:40 am 
Crown Grade

The following 'Skeet' guns are shown in various gun dealer inventories: Beretta 692 Skeet, Perazzi MX2000/8 Skeet, Krieghoff K-80 Skeet, & Blaser F3 Skeet. And many field/sporting model shotguns without modifications have been used successfully for competition Skeet shooting as long as the sport has been around. If Browning is your choice, I would guess that several of the Citori CX/CXS or Cirori 725 guns would work for you. And some of the Ceasar Guerini guns are popular amongst Skeet shooters. Just because a guns Model name doesn't have a Skeet moniker attached to it doesn't mean that it won't work as a Skeet gun. Think outside the box as the saying goes. {hs#

Retired

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Sporting guns are perfectly adequate for skeet. I have an old Citori Skeet with the wide beaver tail forend but I usually shoot my Browning and Miroku Sporting guns for skeet these days. Any shotgun that shoots 50/50 POI will work if it fits you well. Most of the guys I shoot skeet with are shooting sporting clay shotguns.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:15 am 
Presentation Grade

Beretta All Around.
https://www.joeletchenguns.com/new-guns ... all-around

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:58 am 
Field Grade

I just started shooting skeet again after a 40 year hiatus. Around my main home it is all trap, but we bought a pre-retirement home in an area where it is all skeet and sporting clays. The local club there shoots skeet and 5 stand so I bought a Beretta 694 Sporting Clays. The other club members with new guns have guns that the manufacturer call Sporting Clays guns but are used almost exclusively for skeet. Many of the newer shooters have Caesar Guerini sporting guns for skeet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:30 am 
Field Grade

Finprof wrote:
I just started shooting skeet again after a 40 year hiatus. Around my main home it is all trap, but we bought a pre-retirement home in an area where it is all skeet and sporting clays. The local club there shoots skeet and 5 stand so I bought a Beretta 694 Sporting Clays. The other club members with new guns have guns that the manufacturer call Sporting Clays guns but are used almost exclusively for skeet. Many of the newer shooters have Caesar Guerini sporting guns for skeet.

That's awesome! I had a 682 Gold e sporting years ago and loved that also, but not the same price range as the citoris, which I shot both well. Should of never sold either one. Lol. I have been hearing more and more about the Caesar Guerini's though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:57 am 
Field Grade

The newer skeet guns are parallel combed for a reason. In premounted games it keeps the eye in the same position over the rib. Trap guys had it right.. You look at the combs the top guys shoot skeet with. Parallel or very close. The All Clays models out have a Parallel comb.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:57 pm 
Field Grade

Now that I've pretty much narrowed it down to a Browning CX White, has anyone heard when these guns might be back on stores racks? I'm not big on buying without seeing and holding a gun. Man did I pick a bad time to get back into shooting again. Lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:21 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

My recently purchased K-80 is a PRO-SKEET model, with the appropriate stock dimensions. One of my Caesar Guerini's is a Summit Type-S Skeet, so there are some out there still designated skeet.

Bob