ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where are all the Skeet guns?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:54 am 
Field Grade

I was just cruising Elite shotguns website and they have a Special run Browning, with tube set if desired, that looks to be a good entry level gun!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:48 pm 
Field Grade

So, what's a Skeet gun. From what I've heard there was a time when a Skeet gun was a Field model equipped with a Trap stock. Now, most of us shooting skeet have gone to adjustable comb stocks with adjustable butt pads. Because nothing beats having a stock you can tune to be a perfect fit for you. Note, we have a member at our club who turns a bit of extra money by converting a fixed stock to an adjustable comb. Cost is 300 bucks and having installed one of these kits myself I can state that 300 dollar price is a bit of a bargain. The Graco kit runs about 110 bucks and I had 3 hours on a Bridgeport mill doing the inletting and making certain I didn't foul up.

If you want a new gun all set up and ready to go the Beretta 694 with the comb kit is a 4400 dollar option. If you need to watch the budget, Stoeger offers a sporting model with an adjustable comb for something like 700 dollars. Yeah they are not pretty and the checkering looks to be about 12 lines per inch but they do shoot well and are good for at least 4 or 5 years of shooting 4-6 rounds of Skeet every weekend. BTW, I shoot with a AA shooter (28 gauge) who started shooting with a Stoeger and he will not allow anyone to disparage a Stoeger in his earshot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 am 
Field Grade

Thanks to all that have given their recommendations. A fee guys even reached out with available guns. As I would love, who wouldn't, to own a Perazzi, DT10, Kolar, whatever, my price range for now will keep me with "B" guns for now. I do have a line on new Cirori CX White, 30" bbls. Anyone's thoughts as a dedicated skeet gun? I will be having an adjustable comb installed. Anyone have any experience or have shot one? Thoughts? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:56 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Put Skeet / Skeet chokes in it (Or Cylinder Bore) and adjust the comb appropriately and you will have yourself a Skeet Gun.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:17 pm 
Field Grade

rkittine wrote:
Put Skeet / Skeet chokes in it (Or Cylinder Bore) and adjust the comb appropriately and you will have yourself a Skeet Gun.

Bob

Really wasn't what I was asking but Hey, why didn't I think of that? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

scooter123 wrote:
So, what's a Skeet gun.

A sporting gun before sporting existed, and skeet was still popular.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:35 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Skeet_Man wrote:
scooter123 wrote:
So, what's a Skeet gun.

Didn't skeet guns mostly have 26" barrels back then?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:36 pm 
Limited Edition

scooter123 wrote:
So, what's a Skeet gun. From what I've heard there was a time when a Skeet gun was a Field model equipped with a Trap stock.

At one time it was a field gun, often shortened to 26", and with a Cutts added. A Model 12 with a Cutts was the iconic Skeet Gun.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:40 pm 
Crown Grade

lossking wrote:
Skeet_Man wrote:
scooter123 wrote:
So, what's a Skeet gun.

Yes, before the age of screw-in choke tubes, there was a standard barrel convention, so to speak, that went something like:

Skt and Imp Cyl, 26"
Modified, 28"
Full, 30"

Since those prehistoric days, the conventional thinking has shifted to say that 30" barrels swing smoother, the short 26" barrels are too whippy.

So now the majority of guns are 30", with screw in chokes to shoot your sport, whatever it may be.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:19 pm 
Field Grade

My first “Skeet” gun was a Citori skeet with 26 inch barrels and invector plus tubes! This was 93 and I learned to shoot it fairly well too.

When I came back to the game in 19 I bought a Beretta Silver Pigeon with 32” barrels. Man those felt and swung differently.

Once I decided I was going to do this I got a K80 with 30” barrels and it has a great feel.

You will be good with either of the B guns, especially if you have an adjustable comb!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Shorter, lighter skeet guns were certainly preferred during the low gun/delayed pull era. Maybe they were better for that game. But many of the early skeet guns were made from field guns by cutting off the ends of barrel behind the choke. That would pretty much leave a 26" barrel if a Cutts wasn't added.

What length barrels are the Olympic Skeet medal winners using?

Last edited by J.Fred_Muggs on Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:40 am 
Limited Edition

Free trivia

J.Fred_Muggs wrote:
But many of the early skeet guns were made by cutting off the ends of barrel behind the choke.

Grant Ilseng reportedly won a World Championship with a Sears or Western Auto side-by-side he modified on the way to the shoot by using a borrowed hacksaw and vice at a gas station.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:40 pm 
Presentation Grade

when Kim Rhodes switched from double trap to skeet, she used the same gun. Just a different stock and chokes.

Andreas Loew of Germany was a finalist in the O games in double trap and now shoots trap. He is making his way up the trap ranks and will prolly will be as good a trap shooter as he was a double trap shooter. When they were canceling double trap and he was shooting both trap and skeet to see which game he should transition to, he shot in the Bavarian skeet championships. He was in my pool and used the exact same gun in skeet that he used in double trap (except for the chokes) and he still managed to shoot a 23/25 in olympic skeet using a gun that was completely wrong for skeet (high rib, parallel stock) My opinion is a skeet gun is any gun that a shooter can use and break a lot of targets.

https://www.issf-sports.org/athletes/at ... 1901198201

NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lossking wrote:
Skeet_Man wrote:
scooter123 wrote:
So, what's a Skeet gun.

No.

26" barrels were dead by the time SC became a reality in the tail end of the 80s, and even 28" guns would have been just starting to be on the way out by the time the 90s started.

SC started out for the most part with 30" barrels (eventually transitioning to 32" and 34" by the mid 90s), at which point the 30" barrels came over to the skeet field as well.

http://www.sminglershotgunsports.com

Manufacturer of Custom Brass Barrel Weights for over/under, top single, and unsingle shotguns.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:52 pm 
Tournament Grade

Here is an XS Skeet for you complete with the tubeset so you can shoot all the gauges. It does have 28' barrels though.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/937691841/B ... S-Skee.htm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 am 
Crown Grade

jerrys wrote:
My opinion is a skeet gun is any gun that a shooter can use and break a lot of targets.

Retired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:47 am 
Tournament Grade

I would buy this before the Elite gun:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =101555680

You figure a new PFS is $1300 and it's like getting the Browning CX new for $1700.

I have the PFS on my 725 Skeet(no longer made) and with the Briley Matched Weight tubes it balances perfectly and weighs 9lbs 8oz. Not to mention the perfect fit and low recoil with the PFS. The Browning stocks are terrible IMO. With an adjustable comb and buttplate I still can not get anywhere near the fit I can with the PFS.

NSSA Level 1 Instructor
NSSA Referee
NSSA Life Member
NRA Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:32 am 
Tournament Grade

Well, there are currently 65 Winchester Skeet/Tournament Model 21's advertised for sale on Guns International. Starting at $3995 and going to $24k. All have short barrels. Interesting. I haven't seen one on the range in 25 years. Are people spending that kind of money for safe queens?