ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gun case with tube set
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:15 pm 
Presentation Grade

So we have a new O/U and send it away for a set of sub gauge tubes. What is the preferred case to house all the bits and pieces?

Post subject: Re: Gun case with tube set
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:28 pm 
Presentation Grade

leftex wrote:
So we have a new O/U and send it away for a set of sub gauge tubes. What is the preferred case to house all the bits and pieces?

I would have said Americase, but they have discontinued that part of their business. Here's the next best thing.
https://360p9pogrstqp3pq16kp6r5e-wpengi ... 28-ext.jpg

I think this SKB case is a good value for the money, especially if you don't anticipate air travel.
https://www.amazon.com/SKB-Corp-2SKB-32 ... B003QYK30Y

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:53 pm 
Presentation Grade

Forgot to mention it has 32" barrels and extended chokes. SKB looks good but is a little short.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:35 pm 
Limited Edition

If you bot it from dealer, you should get a case with it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 pm 
Crown Grade

I believe Red Oxx quit making their tube set soft case. Boyt makes a tube set case, but the longest one will only take 30" tubes.

Probably left with the Negrini cases. Or see if Americase has any closeouts available.

One of Many

Last edited by John H on Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

D McMillen wrote:
If you bot it from dealer, you should get a case with it.

Not if it didn't have the sub-gauge tubes when it was bought. The OP said he bought the gun and THEN sent it out for tubes. No dealer involved is my guess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:49 pm 
Field Grade

I’m thinking of sending a gun out for tubes and don’t want to spend another $4-500 for a case. Peak makes a nice case that doesn’t break the bank. I bought myself one for Christmas for my trap combo and works great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:08 pm 
Presentation Grade

My skeet gun travels in a Briley branded soft breakdown case (Kolar also offers the same case) equipped for tube set storage. I also have a hard case (Americase) for airline travel. Many of the skeet gun now come in Negrini type cases and I would not check my gun for airline travel. A great alternative to the Americase is a soft case packaged in a Tuffcase (think golf club travel case).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

I have the Negrini case and love it. Switch from Americase and never looked back. Some love the Negrini some hate them but I have never had a problem and have flown with it ALOT and no issue at all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have a 32" Boyt tubeset soft case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:27 am 
Presentation Grade

mpolans, where did you find a Boyt that will accommodate 32" tubes? Per the Boyt web site the longest case they make will only fit 30" tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

leftex wrote:
mpolans, where did you find a Boyt that will accommodate 32" tubes? Per the Boyt web site the longest case they make will only fit 30" tubes.
How about here? :D
https://www.briley.com/p-61858-boyt-two-barrel-tubeset-takedown-case.aspx (30" OR 34" - $189.00)

I switched to Boyt soft cases for both of our Skeet sets back in the 90s and haven't look back. When we had to fly, they were both put inside a 32" TuffPak sport case. They are 99.9% bullet proof. Mine has been all over the USA and twice to South America. None of my firearms flown in the TuffPak have ever been damaged. And the TuffPak has room to put all your shooting gear (glasses, ear plugs, gloves, etc.) in as well. You couldn't pay me to own a hard case for a gun with tubes. I also store our Skeet sets in the case in the gun safe. I couldn't do that with the hard cases; wasn't enough room for 2 hard cases. And no, I have never had an issue with rust by doing that. Humidity is low in Utah and the guns are always well lubed in the cases.

Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:55 am 
Presentation Grade

dubob, that 34" case only holds 30" tubes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:41 am 
Crown Grade

leftex wrote:
My bad - I missed that. We have 28" barrels on our 682 Gold E guns and the Boyt cases just barely hold our 28" tubes. Only option for an over 28" barreled gun would be to go with a Boyt Harness Company Signature Series Takedown Canvas Case (just holds one take down gun) and a Briley Extruded Tube Set Case (28" to 34" lengths & in 1, 2, or 3 tube set configurations). Both would still fit in a TuffPak for airline travel and would be easier to carry (less weight) than a hard case.

Retired

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:32 pm 
Crown Grade

leftex wrote:

I made that mistake when I bought my first boyt case. Bought the 30 inch, not realizing the tube pockets are shorter.

I have pvc tubing in the pockets as a liner for protection.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:30 pm 
Field Grade

I had a hard time finding a case that would take a 34” barre with an extended choke. Peak makes one though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:28 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

In addition to two Americase's, One two SKB, One Nasco and two Negrini, I find that they all have their pluses and minuses. I also have the Boyd Soft Tubeset case and for just getting back and forth to the range, it is fine.

If they are big enough they all work, some give you a better workout using then others. If I had to pick the one I like best it would be the Nasco, but they are out of business now.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:39 pm 
Presentation Grade

Americase, Nasco and SKB are out. Don't really care for the layout of the Peak. I've had two Negrini cases. I like them except when the gun is removed from the case the case falls over backward. I really like the Boyt cases if I could find one long enough. Right now I'm leaning toward the Briley soft case.
Any more suggestions?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:12 pm 
Presentation Grade

Briley soft case, I shoot extended chokes in my 30" barrels and extended chokes in my sub tubes. barrels with tubes installed are overall length of 31-1/2" with ~3" of space to the end of the barrel slot.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:29 pm 
Presentation Grade

kyskeet, I have a 32" F3 with extended chokes and sub gauge tubes with extended chokes in the Briley soft case and everything fits fine. Most likely will go that direction this time unless there is a Boyt out there that is long enouigh.