ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choke Question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:32 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm shooting a 1100 28 ga with the flush factory skeet choke tube in it. At 21 yards, my effective patterns with 3/4 oz #9 mag shot are about 22"-24" in diameter. One of the guys at the range, who shoots alot of skeet, told me that my pattern should be 30" at 21 yards. I patterned a Briley flush-fit cylinder choke and it gave a pattern about 26" in diameter but there were alot of gaps in the pattern. Should I be looking to upgrade my choke and, if so, to what?

Post subject: Re: Choke Question
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:13 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

10 ga Bob wrote:
I'm shooting a 1100 28 ga with the flush factory skeet choke tube in it. At 21 yards, my effective patterns with 3/4 oz #9 mag shot are about 22"-24" in diameter. One of the guys at the range, who shoots alot of skeet, told me that my pattern should be 30" at 21 yards. I patterned a Briley flush-fit cylinder choke and it gave a pattern about 26" in diameter but there were alot of gaps in the pattern. Should I be looking to upgrade my choke and, if so, to what?

How many targets are you breaking? That's the only measure that matters.

There's a quote I heard and can't recall the source, "Chokes give us inches, but we miss by feet"

If your patterns are uneven or patchy, try a higher or lower velocity or a different wad.

If you really want to open patterns forget the magnum shot and go with soft chill shot. The increased deformation will open your pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:11 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yeah, maybe 12 ga is 30" pattern but not 28. 22" seems to me like its a bit tight for 28 ga but, as cerberus said, if you like the breaks you are getting, don't mess with it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:45 pm 
Limited Edition

Baron23 wrote:
Yeah, maybe 12 ga is 30" pattern but not 28. 22" seems to me like its a bit tight for 28 ga but, as cerberus said, if you like the breaks you are getting, don't mess with it.

The breaks are good and, as long as I keep the gun moving and on track with the bird, it breaks. I'm hitting in the low 20's, usually having trouble with high 5, low 6 single (I break station 6 doubles with no problem) and I'm not consistently smooth on station 8.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:10 pm 
Crown Grade

If you are happy with it, leave it. Sounds like you are aware the reason for your misses has nothing to do with your chokes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:00 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

10 ga Bob wrote:
Baron23 wrote:

The breaks are good and, as long as I keep the gun moving and on track with the bird, it breaks. I'm hitting in the low 20's, usually having trouble with high 5, low 6 single (I break station 6 doubles with no problem) and I'm not consistently smooth on station 8.

You are hitting in the low 20's your pattern isn't the problem.

Do you know WHY you are having trouble with those targets? Have someone watch you shoot them and see if its in your swing or hold points.

For both H5 and L6, I want to break them just on my side of the center stake. On the H5 I may let it run in a little closer. Use the Todd Bender Cheat Sheet sticky at the top of this forum and see how that relates to what your are doing.

Then, go practice at the stations you are missing. Go on a day when you can have the field to your self and shoot nothing but H5, L6 or whatever station is giving you trouble. Do it until you get it figured out and committed to muscle memory.

Shooting in the 20's with a 28ga is quite respectable performance. Work on the fundamentals and don't worry about the chokes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:21 pm 
Limited Edition

When I find I'm missing singles but smoking doubles, it's because I've been riding my singles, i.e. trying too hard and swinging too slow. Speeding up my swing on the singles has been helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 am 
Limited Edition

Cerberus wrote:
10 ga Bob wrote:
Baron23 wrote:
Use the Todd Bender Cheat Sheet sticky at the top of this forum and see how that relates to what your are doing.

Then, go practice at the stations you are missing. Go on a day when you can have the field to your self and shoot nothing but H5, L6 or whatever station is giving you trouble. Do it until you get it figured out and committed to muscle memory.

Shooting in the 20's with a 28ga is quite respectable performance. Work on the fundamentals and don't worry about the chokes.

Thanks for the reference to Todd bender's cheat sheet. It really helped me at station 8. I just need to practice his tips so they become second nature. My first couple of rounds were pretty good (23,22). On my fourth round, I tried to focus on the gun and the target at the same time and found myself looking downrange like a one-eyed dog in a meat market and my shooting then went to pieces.