ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mid-level O/U Shotgun Recommendation?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:50 pm 
Field Grade

Blaser F16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:43 am 
Crown Grade

How long has your son been shooting sporting? If less than a year, it is unlikely that his shooting form has stabilized.

If it were me, I would stash most of that o/u money and buy a good sporting model semi-auto. Shoot that for a couple (or more) years while perfecting form. Autos are far less expensive than o/u to begin with, and autos are easier and cheaper to adjust for stock drop and cast than o/u. Reduced recoil is a nice side benefit if one is shooting lots of targets.

When your son has solidified his game, he will have a better idea of what kind of gun he wants to shoot and why. However you decide to proceed, have fun and be safe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm with you Xshooter on the Perazzi listed here on SGW for a little more money, and he will be a happy camper.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:31 am 
Presentation Grade

drawdc wrote:
mpolans wrote:
Tons of options, at that price. If he likes a Beretta, you can get a good used Beretta 682 or 686. You could also get a used Zoli Kronos for under $4000 (but it has 32" barrels) or a Perazzi MT6 with 29.5" barrels for under $3000; I've got them listed in the the classifieds section on this forum and on gunbroker.com .

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 9&t=514534
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 9&t=504524

He could buy two 686s for that price.

Sure, and that's why I mentioned them first; 686s are good guns.
But if you want an O/U that'll last you a couple lifetimes, it's hard to beat the strength of a Perazzi square monobloc action. I think the Zoli design is also better than Beretta's 680 series (though not as good as Perazzi's square monobloc action). I do think 680 series actions are better than Perazzi's round monobloc actions though.

Last edited by mpolans on Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:06 am 
Tournament Grade

mpolans wrote:
drawdc wrote:
mpolans wrote:
Tons of options, at that price. If he likes a Beretta, you can get a good used Beretta 682 or 686. You could also get a used Zoli Kronos for under $4000 (but it has 32" barrels) or a Perazzi MT6 with 29.5" barrels for under $3000; I've got them listed in the the classifieds section on this forum and on gunbroker.com .

https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 9&t=514534
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 9&t=504524

He could buy two 686s for that price.

Sure, and that's why I mentioned them first; 686s are good guns.
But if you want an O/U that'll last you a couple lifetimes, it's hard to be the strength of a Perazzi square monobloc action. I think the Zoli design is also better than Beretta's 680 series (though not as good as Perazzi's square monobloc action). I do think 680 series actions are better than Perazzi's round monobloc actions though.

Rich Cole uses 680 actions in an awful lot of semi-custom gun assemblies, pulling together and assembling action, barrels, and stock to meet a customer needs and wants. He considers the 680 action a real workhorse. Now the DT-11, well that is a total Clydesdale.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:27 pm 
Diamond Grade

Beretta 694

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:26 pm 
Limited Edition

My thoughts: Glad to have a new shooter on board.
Get a new gun that fits. There is nothing like a new gun. 8)
My choice would be CG Summit Sporting. Quality is excellent as is reliability. Great customer service if needed so no downstream surprise costs.
Keep in mind that no matter which gun you choose, it won't be your last one so spending more than your budget is shortsighted.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:37 pm 
Presentation Grade

beretta 686 don’t look back

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:38 am 
Crown Grade

Well first of all people seem to have different ideas as to what mid level means. Some of those mentioned aren't what I consider mid level. The Beretta 686 while a very nice gun, is an entry level Beretta O/U. New can be had under 2k. Nice gun but not what I would consider mid level. The higher priced 686's are just cosmetic bells and whistles.
The Browning Citori also a nice entry level gun isn't what I would call a mid level gun. Can also be had new for well under 2k. Not mid level.
The CG Summit is a nice looking gun. Great looks and marketing. CG has a way of making a very ordinary gun look fancy. CG has raised prices considerably over the past few years. Mid level price but not a mid level gun. Resale on the CG is poor.
I would try and find a gently used DT10, 682 or Zoli Kronos. If some pre owned 694 pops up that would also be a good option. Of course if they feel right to you. I am not a fan of new guns, depreciation is really tough on mid and entry level guns.
Many of the best shooters and instructors like new shooters to start with a semi auto. That being the case the Beretta A400 is a great option.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:49 am 
Presentation Grade

It's like you read my mind. agree with that entire post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:56 pm 
Utility Grade

Thank you for the tips, guys. My son is in his 40s and has been shooting various clays games for about 10 years. He started getting serious about two years ago and decided it was time to up his game. We have been looking at used lately for the reasons many of you have mentioned. I personally really like the Z-gun and had the opportunity to tour the Zoli factory and meet the Zolis a few years ago; they are a really class act by the way. We have been looking at the Zoli guns, the Blaser F16, and the Beretta 682. I had not considered a used Perazzi as I assumed they were out of our budget range. The $4,500 is the top end.