ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is happening to this site ???????
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:11 am 
Limited Edition

Bailey Boat wrote:
I won't waste space on my machine with FB, if you truly know me then you know how to reach me and for some reason I don't want to be friends with people that I don't already know.

Now that that's out in the open, I read the SC forum daily but don't have anything to add because I don't know enough to share. I'm a newby at SC and about the only thing I can add would be to shoot in front, not behind!!

Never stopped me.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

Post subject: Re: Whit is happening to this site ???????
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:30 pm 
Field Grade

The virus may be part to blame. Our club quit allowing guest to shoot, only members. And other clubs in my area have limited numbers allowed. And the factor, some shooters can not, or do not go due to the risk of catching the virus. Especially older shooters who are more at risk. Just my thoughts, yours may differ.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:37 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Here's what I think happens:

1) Newer shooter asks a question;
2) Helpful but perhaps not so knowledgable guy answers, mostly correctly but not fully correctly;
3) Nicer and more knowing guy answers a little more completely;
4) After a few iterations from #2's and #3's a smartass who thinks he owns the forum comes on and slams the OP for asking a stupid question, flames the helpful but not so knowledgable guys for giving lame answers, then chastises the more polite knowing guys for being arrogant know-it-alls.
5) #3's now dogfight the #4's and the thread ends up being a $&!# show of a few decent, usable facts versus a whole bunch of fallacy.
6)Then that thread may or may not get locked down.
7) Ergo, #1's stop asking, #2's stop answering even when new #1's ask, and #3's give up after months of trying to deal nicely with the #4's continued crap spewing.

PS: FB is not any better, in fact IMHO it's worse. Too many jerks that think they're humorous and popular trying to turn every thread into a joke, and instead take an otherwise good discussion into the nonsensical musings of a few egotistical jackasses.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:05 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Yep. Sometimes it’s that way, but not always. We’ve certainly had our share of trolls and know-it-all’s, end even those who enjoy being condescending. But I still find that most aren’t that way at all.

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:23 pm 
Field Grade

JacksBack wrote:

2) Helpful but perhaps not so knowledgable guy answers, mostly correctly but not fully correctly;
4) After a few iterations from #2's and #3's a smartass who thinks he owns the forum comes on and slams the OP for asking a stupid question, flames the helpful but not so knowledgable guys for giving lame answers, then chastises the more polite knowing guys for being arrogant know-it-alls.
5) #3's now dogfight the #4's and the thread ends up being a $&!# show of a few decent, usable facts versus a whole bunch of fallacy.
7) Ergo, #1's stop asking, #2's stop answering even when new #1's ask, and #3's give up after months of trying to deal nicely with the #4's continued crap spewing.

PS: FB is not any better, in fact IMHO it's worse. Too many jerks that think they're humorous and popular trying to turn every thread into a joke, and instead take an otherwise good discussion into the nonsensical musings of a few egotistical jackasses.

I have seen that play out several times, and been the #2 and #3 in your scenario. I never get too worked up about #s though. If being a chastising know it all on forums is what makes them feel good so be it I feel sorry for them but wont let them bring me down.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

The other part of the story is that MEC shot drops are also usually a little light

"We pulled the trigger, the safety went forward, both barrels fired almost together, the gun opened, ejectors kicked the fired cases over our shoulder ...the most completely automatic gun we ever fired" Elmer Keith- Shotguns by Keith

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:28 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:

Great summary, I love it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:44 pm 
Crown Grade

mwr01 wrote:
JacksBack wrote:

Great summary, I love it!

Certainly been a bunch of threads that have turned into a nasty back and forth between two individuals that totally derails anything good that may have occurred in an effort to answer the OP question or comments. No doubt that crap drives some people away or discourages their participation.

There is still a lot of good discussion on here regardless. Lots of knowledge and most participants are good about sharing it.

I use Facebook marketplace for my hobby business selling John Deere tractors and attachments but I have never been able to get used to the social media aspect of it and as a result, I don't spend hardly any time exploring it. I am aware that there is quite a bit of content for sporting clays but haven't participated. I do check in here several times a day though.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Jack, One of the best replies to a post ever.

Thanks!

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:31 am 
Crown Grade

Like I said, too many crybabies.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:02 pm 
Crown Grade

This site is junk anymore. Between the redirect when you first get to the site, issues that Jack mentioned, fun patrol that says you are evil if you expect to get paid for shooting well, pandemic, the guy that says he can't see the rings on the targets so therefore you can't bickering ..... Etc.. it's just not worth the hassle.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:31 am 
Diamond Grade

I’ve noticed it down on content as well. Bummer as fb posts are almost always a crap show of ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:04 am 
Crown Grade

There are two different forums on this web site that are pretty close to the same thing. With the Chinese virus shutting everything down there's less events to talk about. With that in mind, if someone has a general statement about clay shooting he can post on the other forum. I don't think it's about people loosing interest, but the interesting things they use to post about just ain't happening right now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:07 am 
Diamond Grade

Sadly i think you are right!

Gotta get out and shoot!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:59 am 
Diamond Grade

I personally have not been able to do much shooting at all due to this idiotic pandemic crap and the resulting shelter in place orders. Only in the last couple of months have things started to look better for our discretionary spending budget. I did get to the local T&S range and was able to get a couple rounds in, but it will be some time before it can be a regular part of life again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

There is more on Facebook. Clay Shooting and American Field Sporting are just two of the groups. Not a lot of bickering, nice photos and good posts.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:06 pm 
Crown Grade

dogchaser37 wrote:
There is more on Facebook. Clay Shooting and American Field Sporting are just two of the groups. Not a lot of bickering, nice photos and good posts.

But a lot of really bad advice.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:25 pm 
Crown Grade

I refuse to use FB and give Zuckerberg any money. I know I may be alone in that decision but so be it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:26 pm 
Presentation Grade

drawdc wrote:
dogchaser37 wrote:

But a lot of really bad advice.

Which is usually corrected pretty quickly by more knowledgeable people.

Facebook in general is a cesspool, but there are three clay shooting pages that I find worthwhile, two of which are moderated by people who used to be frequent posters here. The FB pages don't seem to attract as many self-important blowhards as SGW, probably because it's harder to be anonymous there. That said, I regard the FB pages as an addition, not a replacement. I still enjoy SGW and find it to be a good source of information most of the time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:39 pm 
Crown Grade

JacksBack wrote:

BINGO!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next