Shotgun Forum banner

Best glasses for clay shooting

5K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  mdlott 
#1 ·
I no this has probably been beat to death but this is a new year with new products. looking for a good set of glasses that are scratch resistant and fog proof. I need lens that I can change or maybe a color that is in the medium range if there is such a thing.

#9 ·
Take it from someone who had tried going the cheap route and tried many different glasses. Skip to the end and get Pillas. There are others like the Rangers, etc., that are OK, but none compare to the clarity of the Pillas. If you are serious about shooting and really want to SEE the target, bite the bullet and get a set of Pillas. Only problem is deciding on which lens choices to get. I like the progressive lens, but others don't. If you can find someone that has a set that will let you try them that will really help you decide what you like.

#10 ·
For my Pilla lenses (being here in the SW USA, but shoot all over) I went with a plethora of lenses:

10CED
35DC
40CN
44CMX
48RHC
60CHCW
70PWC

This covers me from 100% sun shine, black targets, orange boost, tree backgrounds, cloudy/overcast days and shooting under the lights. YMMV on lens tints (I am 36) but recommend them over any other manufacturer.

#15 ·
Pilla and Ranger on their own only make frames. At the current time, both companies have lenses made by Zeiss. The lenses are the most important part. In my loooong search for quality binos, the top two dogs were always Swarovski and Zeiss. Pilla has enough lense colors to confuse anybody. I'm sure they both are great glasses. I don't see how Pilla can claim superiority when Randolph has the EXACT SAME COMPANY making their lenses. I don't own either. If my facts are wrong please let me know. Straight from Rangers website

"RE RANGER LENSES ARE PROUDLY MANUFACTURED BY CARL ZEISS VISION, THE WORLD'S LEADING MAKER OF PRECISION OPTICS."

#16 ·
I have a set of the older Ray-Ban shooters in 7 different shades that I really like. They have the flexible wire side arms that wrap around the back of your ear that hold the glasses firmly in place

#18 ·
My observation on Pilla:
Pros: Excellent lens quality, clarity
Very comfortable

Cons: I use the Rx insert and the double later effect is noticeable, especially around the periphery. The insert sits close to my brow line and gets smudged in warmer weather.
Costly for multiple sets.
YMMV,
bc

#21 ·
hopper810 said:
Thanks,

I have the Castallani's and have used my friends Pillas. I was aware that the Castallani used "Ziess" lenses and knew they were not as high quality of lenses as the Pillas but didn't know the specifics of the levels of Ziess branding and specifications.

I dont know anything about the Rangers but I generally assume their "Ziess" lenses are also the lower tier "optics by Carl Ziess" as opposed to the ecthed and branded lenses. Please correct me if I am wrong.

With that said I still stand by my original comment and think they are good quality with similar functionality juat not as good as the Pillas.

I have not felt like paying the cost of entry into those lenses yet. I need to move a couple classes before I make that purchase. I dont want to be the C class shooter with $1000 glasses and a $15k gun......

#26 ·
Oh good lord, I can't imagine ever spending that kind of money on glasses just on principle and value. Seriously, other than the placebo effect, how much is each dollar spent adding to your score?

If you want value, take that money and get some lessons from a pro.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.