ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Target Setting School
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:50 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

lt0026 wrote:
Many people who had an off day or a poor score find excuses. The target setter who set the targets is first in line for blame. Never the shooter. Everyone shoots the same targets. Take ownership of your scores.

{hs# {RO

https://www.fennellshootingschool.com/b ... er-lessons

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:52 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Image :)

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:01 pm 
Presentation Grade

I have never been able to look at the targets before I have shot -- not because of any prohibition but because I don't have time to walk the course and then shoot it. Once I start shooting, I do the best I can with the targets that have been presented. As Will Fennell points out in the link above, once you're competing the question of whether it's a good target or not is moot.

Regardless, I'm paying good money to be challenged and entertained. Everyone has a different definition of what is entertaining or challenging, but if a range owner/target setter isn't willing to take constructive criticism, I will vote with my wallet.

I recall a club owner/target setter who was IMO overly proud of his abilities. When I pointed out that one of his presentations -- an all orange target flying into an overcast sky -- was extremely difficult for many people to see, particularly older shooters, his response was, "that was a separator station."

It sure was. It separated me from any desire to shoot at that club in the future, as the owner had demonstrated a total lack of concern for his customers.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:46 pm 
Presentation Grade

The NE Regional at M&M was a good example of hittable targets that made you look foolish. Several shooters I know were humbled the first day and didn’t recover the second day. They weren’t complaining but scratching their heads wondering what they did wrong. I’ve been squadded several times with experienced shooters that are there for the first time and comment they’ve never seen targets like these before.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:13 pm 
Diamond Grade

Boomhand wrote:
The NE Regional at M&M was a good example of hittable targets that made you look foolish. Several shooters I know were humbled the first day and didn’t recover the second day. They weren’t complaining but scratching their heads wondering what they did wrong. I’ve been squadded several times with experienced shooters that are there for the first time and comment they’ve never seen targets like these before.

that's a great example of good target setting. I have no problem admitting I got beat by a bad target read, or if I just completely misjudged the target etc.

I think most of us have been around long enough to know good targets from poor ones.

NSCA#620844
"Il suffit de regarder l'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:20 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If a club can't afford to hire trappers , a top-flight target setter ain't gonna happen.

This is one of the reasons that 15 clubs have gone out of business here in Louisiana in the last 20 yrs. Too many people voted w/ their wallets. (I'm one.)

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:54 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm not positive but Joe Scull might have set 1 course on the main.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:31 pm 
Diamond Grade

a few years ago Joe Scull set a course here in Wisconsin for our state shoot, I still talk about that course.

A good target setter aint cheap, but what it can cost you in return business and or no more business, it's a small price to pay in my eyes.

NSCA#620844
"Il suffit de regarder l'oiseau"

Post subject: Oklahoma State Shoot at Silverleaf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:02 am 
Field Grade

This weekends dust bowl (no water truck and a constant dust cloud) Oklahoma State Shoot was a prime example of target setters with no clue. Also, no trappers, pull your own at state championship. That's right, Pull your own..

One 5 stand that was squadded for two 5 stands.

410, 28, 20, pump, and SxS on one overlay. 60 yard chondell with a 40 yard rabbit for 410 and 28. This followed 2 screaming outgoers on the previous station. Worst small gauge targets I have ever seen.

In all of the events it was obvious that the targets were set to beat up the shooters.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:10 am 
Presentation Grade

Target setting is an art form. Anyone that doesn't believe that, just isn't into shooting. And tournaments are not a contest of can you see it.

I've heard great things about Anthony's class. I had the opportunity to work with a outstanding setter. I took a class from Dave Fielder from Oregon. And I listened to shooters...though a lot had to be sifted out.

Takes time....and mistakes will be made. If one cares, puts in the effort then one has a good start. Gotta see them. Speed, distance, edge. Take one, not all three. Ex. Gotta speedy target....don't throw it super far or on edge. One also has to know their customer base...and always willing to push the envelope a little at times. A classroom available for target setting....is going to large, reputable shoots. Seeing what they do, and how. Pay attention.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:18 am 
Presentation Grade

Though I took Anthony's class and learned a lot, it didn't make me a target setter. It gave me a base of understanding that hopefully I could apply later.

Ultimately experience is the best teacher. The best target setters I know can set a course to a certain degree of difficulty and, barring calamity or an out-of-mind performance by a good shooter, the HOA will be with a bird or two of the targeted score.

The really good ones will also set a course that has even separations among the classes, again barring any exceptional performances. Shooters may go home disappointed but not discouraged or defeated.

There aren't that many of those setters, and the ones who can do it are gems.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:21 am 
Crown Grade

Points well made, birdshooter1.

Post subject: Re: Oklahoma State Shoot at Silverleaf
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:07 pm 
Limited Edition

shotgunvette wrote:
This weekends dust bowl (no water truck and a constant dust cloud) Oklahoma State Shoot was a prime example of target setters with no clue. Also, no trappers, pull your own at state championship. That's right, Pull your own..

One 5 stand that was squadded for two 5 stands.

410, 28, 20, pump, and SxS on one overlay. 60 yard chondell with a 40 yard rabbit for 410 and 28. This followed 2 screaming outgoers on the previous station. Worst small gauge targets I have ever seen.

In all of the events it was obvious that the targets were set to beat up the shooters.

That sounds like a clustermess !!!! Had a similar experience a few years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:40 am 
Tournament Grade

I also was at the Oklahoma State shoot this weekend. The targets were tough, visibility early was bad.

One of the toughest small gauge courses I have ever shot. I agree they should have brought in a good setter for this event.

The worse thing is the owners of that club worked super hard to have it ready for the shoot. The owner is fairly new to sporting clays. I hope people will give them another chance and hope they learned from this event.

Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:57 am 
Tournament Grade

It has always amazed me someone will invest large sums of money to open a club, then won't spend the money to learn to set good targets.

I, like many other shooters don't mind hard targets, if you have good visibility and windows big enough to be able to focus. Small gauge should be fun. It is already limited by ounces of lead.

Not enough people shoot small gauge as it is. No need to discourage shooters who are new to small guns.

I really enjoy shooting the little guns, but pass on it at most weekend shoots because of the small number of entries.
Buster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:55 am 
Limited Edition

gdub41 wrote:
a few years ago Joe Scull set a course here in Wisconsin for our state shoot, I still talk about that course.

A good target setter aint cheap, but what it can cost you in return business and or no more business, it's a small price to pay in my eyes.

gdub41,
I agree 100%!! They were the most entertaining targets ( Wern Valley State Shoot) I have shot to date!! I would travel for Joe Scull targets!!

Dave