Shotgun Forum banner

Price of gas affecting you shooting?

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Chris Ferres 
#1 ·
Greetings,
With the price of fuel on the rise and the fact that I must travel 350+ miles round trip to shoot a good club, I have cut way back on my trips. How is it with the rest of you? I love this game but it is getting farther out of reach each day.
Regards,
Boyce

#2 ·
It did last year---and more significantly than what has occured here lately. I just got back from just over a 1000 mile trip, the pickup gets right at 20 mpg, usually just over or under that. I was fortunate to find gas along the way from $1.779 to $1.799 with most at $2, so if I had been forced to get the $2 stuff that is $.020 X 50 gallons or $10, or two boxes of premium bullets, or probably close to two rounds of trap or skeet, for that much I can cut back on shooting while there.

But it's alot (55%) higher than this time last year. :x

The thing that gets me, it appears I am the only one concered with it, I sure can't tell other peoples driving habits have changed any----still driving 85+, wanting to race off of every light or at least try to impress you :roll:

The hard part is, everything you buy or do is being affected by the fuel cost as well, so living took the biggest hit.

On the news last nite, the economists gave their usual speel about how cheap fuel is compared to everything else----like people paying way more than that for bottled water etc etc. When I buy bottled water it costs $.53 a gallon :roll:

If you think gasoline is bad, try buying a butt load of Natural Gas :roll: :( :evil:

#9 ·
True Brit,

So you are paying around 80 pence a litre?

The exchange rate makes that close to $7.20 a gallon :shock:

OUCH that is how we in the US pay for keeping our interstes rates low.

Roger

(who could not afford to drive a Range Rover in the UK)

#10 ·
hi Roger
currently 79.9p per litre at the moment but could change anytime, I could not afford to run a 4wd either :) but fortunately our weather does not require one often. Fortunately there are four shooting grounds within 25 miles of my location so travelling is not to much of a problem.

regards
steve

#12 ·
In Northern Ontario we are usually between .70/l and .85/l.

I drive a 3/4 ton extracab 4x4...........ya, the price of gas has affected everything I do.

This year I only put on 17,000km. 4 years ago when i had a car that was decent on fuel, I put on 45,000.

I travel about 80km round trip to the range. Or about $9 in fuel.

#14 ·
NO. I usually log 6,000 miles per year chasing sporting clays. My old Tahoe get about 16 mpg, so I figure about 375 gals. per year for shooting. Gas at $1.75 per gal (probably would be welcomed by most drivers) compared to $2.00 per gal means that I am spending an additional $93.75 per year.

With the cost of guns, shells, entry fees, etc., if I can't afford the $7.81 per month of additional cost in gas, I should not be shooting at all.

Shooting, unfortunately, has never been cheap entertainment.

#18 ·
Well, we all make choices. You made the choice to drive a V-8, I drive a V-8 also, but in doing so I think I give up some right to complain about gas prices. There are many ways to make up for the price of gas, it hasn't gone up that much, surely not at the rate of inflation.

#19 ·
Claydog

Be very carefull - your comment "it hasn't gone up that much," can lead to complacency - we in the UK said that when the papers said gas was going up by 20 or 30pence a gallon and it "only went up by 15pence" we thought we had got off light but it was a government ploy to lull us into a false sense of security as it went up again by "only 15p a gallon" and before you know it, it's up by a pound or a dollar and it very rarely comes down again. resist every price rise as best you can as we pay around $6.60 a gallon. Fortunately I have around 4 or 5 good shooting ground within a radius of 40 miles so we don't cover the mileage you do, but it's insiduous these price rises and slowly eats into your finances.

Dave

#20 ·
Dave, you are absolutely right, and the gas prices in the U.K. are out of hand. I hope we don't see that here any time soon. I was simply pointing out that if someone is going to ride in style they are going to pay for it. I'm considering getting something better on gas to ride to work and anywhere else I don't need the extra room.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.