ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Could we be damaging our health with excessive recoil?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm 
Crown Grade

Eriehunter wrote:
VTHokiesDuckHunter wrote:
If anything should be a “standard” load for SC it would be 1 Oz.

Hardly, you cannot walk into any store in erie pa (or any other city) and find any decent quantity of 1 oz. shells.

1 1/8 no problem.

Bryan

I don’t disagree with you! Which is why most of the time I’m shooting 1 1/8 Oz loads.

I do like 1 Oz better and find my scores are about the same. With a gas auto or heavy enough O/U I really don’t notice much difference in felt recoil. But 1 Oz loads seem to be a sweet spot for target breaking vs recoil. I especially like them for Skeet. For longer harder SC targets I like 1 1/8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:43 pm 
Shotgun Expert
Shotgun Expert

remdog1187 wrote:
Repetitive recoil to your brain case.

That's probably why the shoulder mount is more popular than the brain case mount.

http://randywakeman.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:43 pm 
Crown Grade

OK, that made me laugh.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:23 pm 
Presentation Grade

RandyWakeman wrote:
remdog1187 wrote:
Repetitive recoil to your brain case.

That's probably why the shoulder mount is more popular than the brain case mount.

If the government gets wind of this they'll require all shooters to wear helmets.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:38 pm 
Crown Grade

If the recoil of a shotgun on your shoulder causes brain trauma, imagine what hitting a soccer ball with you head does.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:52 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Well,

This will not persuade the head bangers but it is a report my efforts yesterday Shot 7/8th at a Super Sporting, first time I ever shot it

When I was able to see the target (use black clays in the FL sky please) I broke every clay on the course.

No not all of them but that was me, there was no clay too far away that 7/8th Nobel #8 would not break.

Did I feel less recoil, can't say I did but I have shot 1oz so long anyway
Was I less tired, I seemed to be as per the resident expert, my wife, who commented on it

So I went out on the 100 bird sporting course with the 28 and 3/4 shells of mostly 8 but some 9

There was no clay too far for the 28 to break and we had some real tough ones, mainly teal and chandelles well above the trees & some rabbits at about 35-40 yards One guy was amazed at what I did with the little gun It was fun to see clays break at a distance when my squad thought I was OOL

I did feel the length of barrel as a handicap as I normally shoot 4 inches more and I have not shot that gun in 6 months

Never the less I score 8 more with the 28 than I did on my last outing there with the 32" 12 ga

As an old fart I now understand how our 'Seniors Customers' enjoyed their 28 gauge shoots at Deer Creek once a week

It will prolong my shooting life to use lighter loads for sure as for damaging my health, well at my age (74) that is a bagatelle anyway

Roger

Just realized forgot to say all the shells were just 1200 fps, (edit 1)

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

Last edited by Roger Gascoigne on Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Eriehunter wrote:

Hardly, you cannot walk into any store in erie pa (or any other city) and find any decent quantity of 1 oz. shells.

1 1/8 no problem.

1 oz. 1180 fps Estate Super Sporting Competition are $5.48 consistently at Wal-Mart in #8 and #71/2. The shot is very close in hardness to the best available; STS, AA, and Federal Target (the old Gold Medal). These are target crushers but without heavy recoil. I am very recoil conscious and shoot 7/8 oz. reloads almost exclusively for practice, skeet and close Sporting targets. However, I use a lot these Super Sporting Competition for NSCA targets so I can just toss the hulls, and have a bit more quality shot in the air. They are comfortable.

I don't shoot all 100 targets with them, but one could, without suffering any handicap. I sometimes load up a reasonable facsimile too...1 oz. @1180. Might try some 1 oz. 1150 reloads. I have a friend who swears by those.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Grouse Gunner wrote:
Eriehunter wrote:

1 1/8 no problem.

1 oz. 1180 fps Estate Super Sporting Competition are $5.48 consistently at Wal-Mart in #8 and #71/2. The shot is very close in hardness to the best available; STS, AA, and Federal Target (the old Gold Medal). These are target crushers but without heavy recoil. I am very recoil conscious and shoot 7/8 oz. reloads almost exclusively for practice, skeet and close Sporting targets. However, I use a lot these Super Sporting Competition for NSCA targets so I can just toss the hulls, and have a bit more quality shot in the air. They are comfortable.

I don't shoot all 100 targets with them, but one could, without suffering any handicap. I sometimes load up a reasonable facsimile too...1 oz. @1180. Might try some 1 oz. 1150 reloads. I have a friend who swears by those.

I've been shooting Winchester loads that are 1 oz @1180 from Academy for a penny more, and I don't have to walk into Walmart. {hs#

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:48 pm 
Presentation Grade

I'm damaging my health with Scotch, Beer, and red meat. I don't think recoil is going to be what gets me, but you never know...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:03 am 
Utility Grade

Unfortunately, this is true. I also once needed to buy kratom urgent but it was so hard to find a decent quality product. My doctor recommended me to use kratom, for my overall health, so I've decided to ask him where could I buy a decent quality product. He recommended me a site where I can buy kratom wholesale. Now I don't have to worry about the quality of the product. By the way, kratom is an awesome product. If you want to find more information check the link above. Stay safe and have a wonderful day!

Last edited by MackenzieSam on Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:51 am 
Crown Grade

MackenzieSam wrote:
Yes, I think that the answer is yes.

Wrong. But thanks for showing up with tHe old thread dredge move for your first post.