ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Money well spent?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:36 am 
Tournament Grade

Like most, I haven't been shooting as much as I'd like this spring. I'm getting antsy and I told my wife that I was thinking of upgrading my clays shotgun. I'm retired and have shot mostly charity shoots and hunter class in sporting clays but I like to always be working on my game and hitting more targets. My plan was to start shooting registered targets this year but that has been postponed by the cancellations of shoots I planned on attending. Right now, I'm kind of stuck at scores of 75 to 80 at my home club. Pretty average I guess. I shoot a Browning Citori Crossover with Muller chokes and an adjustable comb and the gun fits me well and I enjoy shooting it. I know the pros and cons of this gun.

So, I mentioned to my wife that I was going to buy a new gun in the $3000 to $5000 range (looking at a CG Summit, Blaser F16 or a used P or K gun). My wife shoots clays as well but is more casual about it than I am. She's a retired accountant and she looks at things a little different than I do. Her first question was, why do you need a new gun? My emotional answer was that I just wanted one. Realistic answer was that I want to hit more targets and a better gun may help me do that. Her next question was, if you want your scores to improve, why not spend 3 to 5 grand on a coach, more shells and targets instead and keep shooting your perfectly good Citori? Good points. Any opinions on this?

Post subject: Re: Money well spent?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:41 am 
Crown Grade

Your wife seems like a very smart women.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:42 am 
Limited Edition

:lol: Your problem is that your wife understands both you and the game

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:57 am 
Crown Grade

You aren't going to find a pre-owned P or K gun in that price range. You may be able to find a pre-owned Beretta DT10 or even pick up a new Beretta 694 in that price range. The F 16 is very light and whippy. I shot one and that's what it felt like to me. YMMV. I would also look at a pre-owned Zoli Kronos.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

Your wife is smart, and her advice is sound. With one tiny little exception. She may not fully grasp the illness ‘newgunitis’. There’s only one cure.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:10 am 
Crown Grade

Mule Driver wrote:

With that said, it is a good thing to get to a gun that you really like, and stick with it.

When I started sporting clays in 1984, it seemed like we were shooting a different gun every six months. Then, in 1990, I got a KGun, and shot it for 10 years. In 1997, I got a Perazzi to shoot at live birds, but in 2000, I switched to it for sporting clays as well, and have not looked back, or even given a second thot to shooting anything else.

Might be a good thing to scratch that "newgunitis" itch, and have even more fun. Do your research and get the right one for you.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:21 am 
Tournament Grade

Mule Driver wrote:

Yeah, I just re-read my post and I guess I advertised that pretty well. In a nice way, she told me to just go out and learn how to shoot. Probably the best advice at this point.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 am 
Presentation Grade

lt0026 wrote:
You aren't going to find a pre-owned P or K gun in that price range. You may be able to find a pre-owned Beretta DT10 or even pick up a new Beretta 694 in that price range. The F 16 is very light and whippy. I shot one and that's what it felt like to me. YMMV. I would also look at a pre-owned Zoli Kronos.

You can find several Perazzis in the $3-5k range. Several Perazzi MT6s, a Grand Italia (but I don't like having one fixed and one removable choke), tons of round monobloc guns (I don't like them), some Type 3 MX8s, even some MX3 Specials and Type 4 MX8s can be had for $5k or less.

I love my MT6s, but Zoli Kronos are nice too. You can sometimes find an early Zoli Kronos that were sold in the US as a Verona LX980, back when Verona was the imported (before Zoli USA was formed). They're the same gun, but tend to sell for less.

Last edited by mpolans on Fri May 29, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:34 am 
Crown Grade

Tell your wife to make you a sandwich, and buy what you want, not what you need?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 pm 
Crown Grade

Buy the gun, yet still compromise with your better half. Brand new 694, and still have a grand left for your "ammo & lessons". You KNOW you won't be satisfied till you scratch the itch......lol

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:27 pm 
Presentation Grade

Spend it on lessons with a topnotch instructor first. Shorten the learning curve by years. No O/U will make you shoot better if you’re doing it wrong.
Also a $2000 semi will make you as good a shot as any O/U if later on you can’t afford it.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:43 pm 
Crown Grade

OP, if I may ask how old are you? The reason I ask, is do you want to wait until you're 70 or 80 to buy the gun you want?

There's an old Yiddish saying that roughly translated into English says, nobody lays on their deathbed and says gee I wish I spent more time in the office.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Coach and shells if you want to hit more targets. Gun if you want to have a new gun.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:15 pm 
Tournament Grade

ysr_racer wrote:
OP, if I may ask how old are you? The reason I ask, is do you want to wait until you're 70 or 80 to buy the gun you want?

There's an old Yiddish saying that roughly translated into English says, nobody lays on their deathbed and says gee I wish I spent more time in the office.

The Irish version of that is “There are no pockets in a shroud”.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:30 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Buy your wife a new Perazzi. Then get what you want.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:27 pm 
Crown Grade

Jiggskid wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:

The Irish version of that is “There are no pockets in a shroud”.

The Alaska version is, there are no trailer hitches on the hearse

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

Tell your wife you are planning to buy a motorcycle. Leave some magazines laying around and talk about it a lot. Take her by the Harley store and look around. Then ... tell her that you decided to buy a new Krieghoff instead. She’ll be delighted and so will you. Enjoy the people you shoot with, enjoy your gun(s) and don’t worry about the game too much. Take a couple of lessons from a solid instructor and shoot a lot of shells ingraining good, basic habits. Have fun.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:06 pm 
Field Grade

Luke485 wrote:
... I like to always be working on my game and hitting more targets.
... the gun fits me well and I enjoy shooting it.
Any opinions on this?

It sounds like you got the gear sorted out already. The gun fits and you enjoy it.

But if you like working on your game, then instruction and practice might be the way to go.

My opinion is only worth the price you paid of course...

Good luck! :)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:24 pm 
Crown Grade

mpolans wrote:
lt0026 wrote:

You can find several Perazzis in the $3-5k range. Several Perazzi MT6s, a Grand Italia (but I don't like having one fixed and one removable choke), tons of round monobloc guns (I don't like them), some Type 3 MX8s, even some MX3 Specials and Type 4 MX8s can be had for $5k or less.

I love my MT6s, but Zoli Kronos are nice too. You can sometimes find an early Zoli Kronos that were sold in the US as a Verona LX980, back when Verona was the imported (before Zoli USA was formed). They're the same gun, but tend to sell for less.

I don't think the OP was looking for high mileage guns, especially a P gun that's 40 years old like the MT6.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:26 pm 
Tournament Grade

ysr_racer wrote:

I just turned 67 so I'm well aware of the time horizon for buying toys. Now is far better than later. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm enjoying the other suggestions from this group as well. I especially like the suggestions to buy a new gun and also spend a pile of money on lessons and practice. Most likely outcome and it's only money after all. Threatening to buy a motorcycle is a really good tactic as well. More practice and lessons is the sound advice for sure and I would see the most improvement in scores. Hate to be too practical though.

Realistically, my wife would be fine with whatever I want to do. She was just trying to make me think a bit before I act. She often refers to my personality as READY, FIRE, AIM. I'm retired from sales and marketing and she's a retired financial analyst and accountant. We look at money and spending it from very different perspectives. A tribute to her patience for us being together for 34 years.