ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Money well spent?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Luke485 wrote:
ysr_racer wrote:
OP, if I may ask how old are you? The reason I ask, is do you want to wait until you're 70 or 80 to buy the gun you want?

There's an old Yiddish saying that roughly translated into English says, nobody lays on their deathbed and says gee I wish I spent more time in the office.

I just turned 67 so I'm well aware of the time horizon for buying toys. Now is far better than later. Thanks for the reminder.

I'm enjoying the other suggestions from this group as well. I especially like the suggestions to buy a new gun and also spend a pile of money on lessons and practice. Most likely outcome and it's only money after all. Threatening to buy a motorcycle is a really good tactic as well. More practice and lessons is the sound advice for sure and I would see the most improvement in scores. Hate to be too practical though.

Realistically, my wife would be fine with whatever I want to do. She was just trying to make me think a bit before I act. She often refers to my personality as READY, FIRE, AIM. I'm retired from sales and marketing and she's a retired financial analyst and accountant. We look at money and spending it from very different perspectives. A tribute to her patience for us being together for 34 years.

67? Still too young for ATA Sub Jr :)

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:54 pm 
Crown Grade

Enjoy some of the money that you and your wife worked hard for. You could both get something new together.....CG for you and Syren for her. Beretta 694 for you and one of their Vittoria models for her.

Make it an experience to share together.

And then take a few lessons and shoot a bunch of targets.

I am 58 and still working but as much as I love my kids and grand kids, I plan to spend and enjoy a bunch of their inheritance. Guns and traveling to shoot them a lot part of the plan. My son shoots with me and it is an activity i love sharing with him.

Have fun......

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:49 am 
Tournament Grade

dpe2002 wrote:
Enjoy some of the money that you and your wife worked hard for. You could both get something new together.....CG for you and Syren for her. Beretta 694 for you and one of their Vittoria models for her.

Make it an experience to share together.

And then take a few lessons and shoot a bunch of targets.

I am 58 and still working but as much as I love my kids and grand kids, I plan to spend and enjoy a bunch of their inheritance. Guns and traveling to shoot them a lot part of the plan. My son shoots with me and it is an activity i love sharing with him.

Have fun......

Good thoughts and ideas dpe2002! She already took your advice. She shoots a Fabarm Syren Elos. Nice gun, fits her well and looks great. She is totally satisfied with it. Now it's my turn.

If you've planned well and have good health, you'll enjoy retirement. It's like being a kid on a long (hopefully) summer vacation.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:40 am 
Tournament Grade

Luke485,
I'm with you, since the Mrs. is very happy with her target shotgun, it is your turn to get the target shotgun that will make you happy.
You definitely need to consider a Krieghoff K80 (Parcours or Sporter) or Perazzi High Tech Sporting, and believe me you will be more than Happy & Proud of either.
Best,
Breakemall
Western North Carolina

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:13 am 
Tournament Grade

I'm an old guy, retired and have gone thru the gun selection bit. Long story short, I bought a Zoli Z Sport (which a friend of mine refers to as a poor man's Perazzi) and love it. I have shot friends K guns and P guns and could not justify to myself the $$ difference. Beretta service for me was less than excellent. The exception to that is to use Rich Cole. Zoli service is top shelf. I did shoot a Beretta gas gun in the past and shot it pretty well. As "I mature" sometimes I go back to it for recoil relief.I can find no fault with others comments and similar to the Alaska proverb --I never saw a hearse with a luggage rack.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:36 am 
Diamond Grade

If you want K/P gun quality for less money try a Z gun as mentioned. The action, checkering, finish...it's all right there with the best. But if you want a P or K gun then by golly go get one. How much other crap do you spend money on that immediately becomes worthless? A high quality gun, taken care of, will hold a decent % of its value indefinitely. An accountant will understand that concept.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:39 am 
Diamond Grade

I would also suggest that as a casual shooter you'll not get the value out of dropping thousands on a coach. Go shoot a LOT of shells, work on some basics and THEN go to a good coach. I would recommend Anthony Matarese's videos. He is a very good shooter but an even better coach.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:47 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm glad I wrote the original post and asked for opinions. I got some great perspectives and encouragement from the answers. It's time to shoot some clays and do some shopping.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:27 pm 
Tournament Grade

been their done that you have a very good gun now but i found it to be a little heavy.try your friends gun and find ond that feels more lively. best of luck in your search. my route found me with a beretta auto 28in bbl.so shoot more and make sure your gun shoots were you look

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:51 pm 
Utility Grade

Ohh man, that sounds so familiar to me. I mean, i never could actually buy something that i wanted, because my girlfriend always starts giving differnet questions to me, if i really need it and so on and so forth, and we just look for a compromise. However, sometimes there are some cases when you just want it, you just get emotional and you just want to buy a thing for yourself. That is why right now i am also looking for some side hustles so i won't have to ask my girlfriend if we can spend this money on something. I will just buy what i want when i want, our money will be our money, and my money will be my money. So i consider that taking a coach, is a better decision, but surely that is not what you want.

Last edited by AlexanderOgden on Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:01 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Get a new girlfriend.

Find one who wants to shoot. My wife has 2 nice guns and I have 6. You see how that works. :wink:

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:11 pm 
Field Grade

I agree with the idea of getting some good coaching and shooting a lot of targets. You already have a good gun and after your shooting is improved then you can always reward yourself with the new gun. Maybe your wife would even buy it for you :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:59 am 
Presentation Grade

This is how I read this, with some personal views and experiences mixed in.

OP stated, he wants to get better. Wants to shoot registered which puts a whole new gambit to experiences and goals. He feels, a new gun will help him get better. Never said he doesn't like his Browning, nor he has came across a piece he just has to have. In fact, says enjoys his gun and it fits him well.

He has a solid gun. IMO, he can get a piece and be where he is at, maybe pick up a target, enjoy having the piece. Or....he can get some quality instruction and work with his current gun which will certainly pick up more targets, and having more enjoyment seeing-feeling the progression by way of hitting more targets.

No brainer. Find the coach. Lots of top quality guys available where as it can turn into a trip for two. Shooting more, without that nagging thought that occurs in the back of the pond of how much is being spent.

During this time, you will come across a gun that you'll pick up and at that moment just know, this is it. By then, well, a new discussion with wife will be had. Until then......I'd put the money into the work. Guns may change, but basic and high level fundamentals do not change.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:57 am 
Crown Grade

Ok, so you want a new gun, and you want to shoot better. You have $3000-$5000 to do either, or both. If you want a new gun more than you want to get better, have at it. Pick out something pretty and enjoy it.

If you want to shoot better more than you want a new gun, then take $1000 and set it aside for lessons. If you click with the first guy you take a lessons with, stick with him. If not, find another who can meet where you where you are and help you to your next goal.

At the same time take $1000 and set it aside for additional shells and targets, that is, $1000 more ammo and targets than you shoot now. You will need to shoot a LOT to unlearn your old habits and ingrain what you are learning in the lessons. This is work and it will take time, maybe a lot of work and time. You do not want to make it harder by throwing a new gun in the mix at this time.

During this time, you are saving your dimes and nickels, replenishing your new gun fund.

After a year or so of taking lessons and working hard to put all you learn into practice, assess whether the $2000 spent on lessons, shells and targets has helped. At that point, you might want to spend another $2000 on lessons, ammo and targets, you might want to spend $2000 on tournament fees to test your new skills against others, or just spend $5000 on a new gun and stay where you are. But regardless, you will have learned a lot more about both shooting and yourself, and will be far better equipped to make that decision.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:31 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bdog58 wrote:
This is how I read this, with some personal views and experiences mixed in.

OP stated, he wants to get better. Wants to shoot registered which puts a whole new gambit to experiences and goals. He feels, a new gun will help him get better. Never said he doesn't like his Browning, nor he has came across a piece he just has to have. In fact, says enjoys his gun and it fits him well.

He has a solid gun. IMO, he can get a piece and be where he is at, maybe pick up a target, enjoy having the piece. Or....he can get some quality instruction and work with his current gun which will certainly pick up more targets, and having more enjoyment seeing-feeling the progression by way of hitting more targets.

No brainer. Find the coach. Lots of top quality guys available where as it can turn into a trip for two. Shooting more, without that nagging thought that occurs in the back of the pond of how much is being spent.

During this time, you will come across a gun that you'll pick up and at that moment just know, this is it. By then, well, a new discussion with wife will be had. Until then......I'd put the money into the work. Guns may change, but basic and high level fundamentals do not change.

Great post, I agree 100%.

"Train like you have never won, compete like you have never lost."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:12 pm 
Tournament Grade

It looks like this thread has been resurrected, so time for an update. I've enjoyed reading the great variety of posts from others on this forum. I am still shooting the Citori and I really feel comfortable shooting it. I affectionately call it "the club". It's a big, heavy, 32" barrel, some would say outdated OU. That's OK, I like it and it feels right for me at this time. I decided to concentrate on the basics and take the time to learn to shoot, instead of just being another inconsistent guy out there with a fancy shotgun. I have a weekly practice plan now instead of just shooting the course with my wife and buddies and I've budgeted the time and money for targets and coaching.

On coaching, I had some lessons with Don Currie about a year and a half ago (way before my original post). He helped me a lot but I can't see him regularly due to where I live. I bought a Shotkam. That is a great tool and it has helped me "self coach". I joined Gil Ash's Knowledge Vault on his website. I feel that I get a lot of good tips and coaching from that source, for the money. I plan on visiting the Houston area and attending one of Gil's clinics and then some private lessons with him this winter.

I shoot twice a week now about 100 to 150 shots per session, mostly at my home club. My club is very flexible for members and I can use the course when it is closed to the public and get in good practice on a wide variety of presentations and backgrounds. I get a good price on my targets by buying them 1000 at a time. I'm seeing decent improvement in my shooting and confidence. Following Gil's advice, I shoot a lot of single targets during my "deliberate practice" sessions and I now have a comfortable and effective pre and post shot routine. I'm confident on presentations now that scared me a few months ago because I've seen and practiced those shots multiple times. I use tighter chokes and have learned correct sight pictures. I make a plan on how I'm going to shoot the station and follow the plan. I visualize it like a slow motion movie. Most of my hits are dusted targets now and when I miss, I don't have a negative emotional reaction. I just work on correcting my approach for the next pair. My consistency is better round to round now. Scores are about the same but I know they'll continue to improve as I work on my game. As Sera on this forum likes to say, "just learn to shoot". That is great and simple advice.

My extra practice, the Shotkam and coaching will end up costing about $5000 by the time I do some lessons with Gil. About the same as a new gun. I've learned that for me, it's more fun hitting the hard targets with new skills instead of just changing equipment and hoping for the best. Now I can go into shooting some tournaments in the coming year with more confidence and hopefully climb the ladder. I have to be realistic about that part, based on my age, but hell, the fun is in trying to compete and get better at the sport.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:47 pm 
Diamond Grade

While not as exciting as a new gun i think you did the smart thing. Nothing wrong with a Citori at all. Weight, fit and balance are all that matter once you're into a Citori or above.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Great update and sounds like you have a path forward that has some sound logic built into it.....careful cause you might be too smart to hang out with this crowd on SGW.. :lol:

And they make guns every day so if the urge comes along, I bet you can scratch that itch whenever you like.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:07 pm 
Presentation Grade

Your doing fine but don’t kid yourself the new gun urge will not go away. Sera has the right idea, if you can afford 6 target shotguns you should own six target shotguns.

Whatever you do, don’t sell or trade the Browning on something new until you’ve shot the new one long enough to know that you will shoot it as well or better than the Browning. You are used to the weight and feel of a Browning so a regular KRieghoff will become familiar easily. A Perazzi or a K gun Parcours model handle differently and would take a little more time to get used to.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:22 pm 
Presentation Grade

My 2 cents - You did the right thing... heck, you could by a second citori as a backup. I’ve thought about it many times as I also shoot a citori and it’s a 525 model with 32” barrels... its my old faithful. My other gun is a perazzi mx2000 which presently has loose mid ribs & trunions as I’ve shot the tar out it and then some. It will soon be repaired by lucio. I love the Perazzi but in the end it’s the Indian and not the arrow. I will say that when the browning eats firing pins and springs and this can be a quick repair for some but generally it’s a trip to a gunsmith. With the Perazzi it’s a 2 minute repair due to drop out trigger. Would I buy the Perazzi again... sure. I’ll not lose a dime if I ever choose to sell it. So if you want one go buy it but don’t sell your citori.

DL