ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Your favorite brand and style of choke tube is....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:14 am 
Crown Grade

the Rev wrote:
Factory chokes will break any target anywhere.

Yup, they sure will.

But I’ve become a fan of the lighter weight choke tubes you get with titanium. If the factory Perazzi CT’s where made that way, I’d stick with them. Especially if they were pretty. I’m a sucker for pretty.

Not a fan of ported CT’s. Just too fricking messy. They turn ugly looking. I don’t like ugly. I like pretty.

Last edited by Mule Driver on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If it don't shine it ain't mine. :lol:

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 am 
Crown Grade

rbdjr wrote:
I have a Browning 725 12ga 32" and I have tried several brand chokes and pattern them with the ammo I shoot trap with. I have tried the OE chokes INV-DS, Muller, Briley, TRULOCK, out of those chokes the TRULOCKs have the best pattern, Muller actually refunded me the cost of the chokes, the other have been in my bag unused. The Browning chokes did not measure or pattern to the tradition constrictions except for the Full choke, all chokes are not ported as my barrels are.(unfortunately)
I just ordered a TRULOCK PHDS12700 Extra Full 0.040, to pattern and try, I now shoot IM first shot and Full 2nd shot, see what the extra full does for maybe 2nd shot doubles?
The TRULOCK pattern superior to the rest, and clean easy, and never loosen up while shooting, I do use "Super Lube Silicone Lubricating grease, "on threads and outside of tube when installing.

Shotgun Ballistic's expert Tom Roster is a big fan of Trulock chokes as well. He claims they are of tremendous value.

In my very limited pattern testing I found that all of the quality after market chokes I've owned seem to pattern well, and about the same. What can and usually does make a difference, is the quality of the ammunition.

I shoot longer barrels, and like lighter weight extended titanium CTs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:02 am 
Limited Edition

the Rev wrote:
You spend 10's of thousands of dollars on the perfect gun for yourself. It has all of the best stuff with stock, trigger, barrel length and weight that fits you to a tee. The manufacturer has spent millions of dollars in development and the latest machining processes. We take it home and marvel at the beauty and function of the gun that will take us to the next level. Then we do the unthinkable. We take out the factory chokes that were designed for our new treasure and throw them away for something we buy from a guy selling stuff from a trailer he towed to the shoot with a pickup truck. Makes sense to me.
I recently purchased a set of Pure Gold from a guy that had rarely used them and was selling the gun so needless to say I got them for 1/2 price. They worked well and looked neat but added a little bit of weight to the barrels. Shot them for a few weeks when a friend asked me if I wanted to sell them. I screwed them out took the money and went to the store and bought more ammo. I won't have to clean them again and it didn't cost me one target to sell them. Factory chokes will break any target anywhere.

Yes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:04 am 
Limited Edition

Mule Driver wrote:
the Rev wrote:
Factory chokes will break any target anywhere.

Yup, they sure will.

But I’ve become a fan of the lighter weight choke tubes you get with titanium. If the factory Perazzi CT’s where made that way, I’d stick with them. Especially if they were pretty. I’m a sucker for pretty.

Not a fan of ported CT’s. Just too fricking messy. They turn ugly looking. I don’t like ugly. I like pretty.

Pretty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. All extended choke tubes are ugly. Nothing makes an expensive, beautiful gun look worse than extended tubes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:18 am 
Crown Grade

the Rev wrote:
You spend 10's of thousands of dollars on the perfect gun for yourself. It has all of the best stuff with stock, trigger, barrel length and weight that fits you to a tee. The manufacturer has spent millions of dollars in development and the latest machining processes. We take it home and marvel at the beauty and function of the gun that will take us to the next level. Then we do the unthinkable. We take out the factory chokes that were designed for our new treasure and throw them away for something we buy from a guy selling stuff from a trailer he towed to the shoot with a pickup truck. Makes sense to me.
I recently purchased a set of Pure Gold from a guy that had rarely used them and was selling the gun so needless to say I got them for 1/2 price. They worked well and looked neat but added a little bit of weight to the barrels. Shot them for a few weeks when a friend asked me if I wanted to sell them. I screwed them out took the money and went to the store and bought more ammo. I won't have to clean them again and it didn't cost me one target to sell them. Factory chokes will break any target anywhere.

This has been my thought for quite some time. What makes one choke better than another, and better than what was designed to work with your particular gun? I like the convenience of extended chokes for clay shooting, although for hunting I almost like flush chokes better. I have shot patterns with the chokes that came with my Benellis and ithacas, and then with aftermarket chokes, and quite honestly, they both looked fine. No blown out patterns or something I thought would make me miss either a flushing pheasant, or a clay target.

I think a lot of it is physiological, which is fine, if you think you'll shoot better with a particular choke, you probably will. But overall, I think sometimes we spend a lot of money (over $100 for a choke tube!) that we don't necessarily need to spend, and we are making someone wealthy. Good for the economy, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:35 am 
Diamond Grade

I love my Extreme Chokes but... I am biased ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:59 am 
Crown Grade

mortum wrote:
I love my Extreme Chokes but... I am biased ;)

I love mine too.

Curtis sold them to me directly 5 or 6 years ago at the California State Shoot, and they've been my go to CTs since. But, I've kinda grown fond of Briley Titaniums lately. Something cute and different for a change.

I believe I paid $800 for my 10 Extreme chokes. I hear they cost $135 apiece now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:03 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I've been shooting extremes for years and now I just keep a set of their black 20's in and never change them. I do this both in my K gun as well as my Beretta back up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:10 pm 
Presentation Grade

Extreme 15s
Teague Flush Skeet
Done.

The factory tubes are perfectly fine but cmon, there's so little you can do to modify your gun why not have fun with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:58 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

IMHO;

If you want lighter weight out front, Extreme Ti are about the best made 3rd party chokes available.
If you want more weight out front, Pure Gold and Brain are going to be hard to beat.
I have Kicks Smoke chokes for 3 of my semi autos and think they are excellent.
I have a semi with a custom Angleport barrel and tuned chokes, it is also excellent.
I have three barrels that Briley thinwalled, all pattern exceptionally well.
I have one barrel tuned and thinwalled by Tom Wilkinson, and it throws very even and consistent patterns.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:03 pm 
Limited Edition

I shoot a couple of Teague stainless chokes. After an adjustment period I REALLY like them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Currently shooting black titanium Extreme chokes in my 690.

Youtube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:21 pm 
Field Grade

I shoot fixed chokes nowadays but I've really enjoyed the Brain chokes out of my auto!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:11 am 
Tournament Grade

Extreme 15 & 20.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:38 am 
Tournament Grade

I love the smoky breaks I get thru my thin wall super extended ported Teague chokes. Check them out here: https://littletrapper.com/brand/teague- ... on-chokes/
And don't forget to use the 10% discount code (SGW10TEAGUE) when purchasing any Teague product from my website {hs# During the month of August only and for SGW members only :wink:

NSCA Instructor
http://www.littletrapper.com
http://www.frenchnick.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/nikoberry

Sponsors: Laporte, Krieghoff, B&P, Shurley Bros, Teague Chokes, Pilla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:26 am 
Presentation Grade

One way folks can invest in an idea of aftermarket chokes, is not to buy a set. If I were choke shopping, I'd buy 2 mods, maybe a skeet.....maybe a full.

Mule does have nice, and pretty stuff. You may though Mule...wanna wax that Mule you drive...LOL. Jacksback for sure......knows equipment.

When I was shooting a auto, or the browning 425 I went through the choke search. The A400 married really well with a kicks. Muller both A400 and 425 performed extremely well. As did the extreme's. I started with a Benelli super sport and ran comp n chokes......good combo.

Like what Rev said. When I went all in on a high end ou, I did a lot of research which included reading....talking with specific individuals, and hands on shooting. Shot a lot of guns. Made my choice. And I thought, how could a high end piece.....whether its a P, K gun, Kolar, Beretta, Blaser or Zoli (etc) personal-matched up chokes be outdone by the aftermarket. I wasn't looking for a weight change, so I stayed with the factory. And.....I've been really happy with it. Another thing, been easy to pick up a extra choke...as when other owners pick up a aftermarket, they'll move the factory.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:39 am 
Crown Grade

Hey Nick,

Cleaning the ports on those chokes could be a real pain — how do you deal with that? They sure do have a lot of visual appeal, but those particular ports look like real powder residue snot catchers to me.

When I had some ported chokes, I did the following: When I got home I would hit them with some gun oil, and let ‘um sit for a bit. Then I would rub them clean with a rag, and put them in an ultra-sonic denture cleaner with dish washer soap (don’t use regular dish soap as it will foam over) for 15 minutes or so. Took them out and dried them off with my air compressor hose after that. Then, let them stand out in the air on my work bench.

Right before leave for my next shoot, I’d spray the ported end of the CT’s down with PAM vegetable oil to lessen the sticking of the black residue to come when shooting. The threads got some gun oil. The PAM really helps, BTW.

Worked really well, but it was a PIA to keep up with. I detested looking at dirty ported chokes when they’re in my gun.

You can get your dentist to order you a dentures cleaner. They hold about 5 or 6 chokes at a time, and cost about $225.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:46 am 
Crown Grade

None.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:47 am 
Tournament Grade

I've been using this product and it is amazing (quick and effortless): https://www.amazon.com/Shooters-Choice- ... B0000C529Y
It is dirty, but the quality of the breaks improves a lot with the Teague ports in my opinion...

NSCA Instructor
http://www.littletrapper.com
http://www.frenchnick.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/nikoberry

Sponsors: Laporte, Krieghoff, B&P, Shurley Bros, Teague Chokes, Pilla