ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine's target Setting Book
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 pm 
Presentation Grade

Mike, I'd like to gift a copy of your book to a new club manager, former All American Skeet shooter, who knows little about sporting clays. Also I'd like to send him to a clinic, if/when one is available.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:33 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Pin,

I would be happy to do both. I don't have anything scheduled for 2021. (Yet) With Covid, most of my business is on hold. I am willing to travel to teach a Target setting school. If you club would like to get one up, I will come. Maybe we could do a combination Target Setting a shooting clinic. I have done these before and they have turned out great. Give this some thought and see what you think. One of the things that made me a successful target setter was clay target shooting. Understanding what shooters like and what is over the top. This was a big plus to be. I shot my first clay target in 1972. I started with trap and became a tournament shooter, then became a skeet shooter. There is a lot more to setting a trap or skeet range than most people realize. Throughout the years I have came up with a lot of different things for the sport. I guess you could call me Gungho.

I shot my first sporting in 1984. I thought it was the greatest clay target game I had ever shot. Right then, I made it my business to learn everything about this new game I could. My club was one of the earliest clubs in the nation and right at the first in Texas. I have promoted our sport ever since. Well that is enough about my history. My point was is that I became very knowledgeable with all aspects of the sport. I set my first target in 1986 and am still setting courses. (although I have slowed down some)

Sorry for the long reply, this is just me being an enthused target setter instructor / coach and shooter. I love all of the games and have shot them all.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine

[email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:46 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jim,

Tequila used to work for me. I still hurt but if I drank enough I didn't know it. Seriously, I sure know what you mean. Getting old is not what it is cracked up to be. Yes, I am smarter but I can't remember the things I have learned. I can't run outside because I probably will fall on my a$$. I don't drink anymore (Liver cirrhosis, not caused from drinking) so I am not as funny as I used to be. I also have lost my singing voice. I guess that is because of the absence of tequila. I don't like to drive at night anymore so my wife has to do that.I can't hear worth a flip but I can't afford hearing aids. I can't see near as well but my eye doctor tells me I have 20/20 vision. Got to find a new doctor. Because of the liver cirrhosis, I can't eat raw oysters anymore. I love these things too. I weigh too much and have since I got married. I would tell you it's my wifes fault but I do 95% of the cooking. My teeth are falling out and soon will all be gone. I don't like the thought of dentures and implants are too expensive. Yep, get old is not my favorite thing but I wouldn't change a thing. LOL

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mike

Any news on your upcoming book?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:39 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

tuf,

I am getting a little closer. I have added several more chapters that had slipped my mind. These were important chapters too. I still haven't sent my editor the pictures he has ask for. The Holidays have slowed me down on my proofing. After these things, all I have left is the printing.

I am trying to get another Website up and running. I will start out selling my book from it. I have about a 100 or so people who have told me that they wanted one. After I get the printing paid for and my editor paid, I may look at putting it on Amazon. I will be sending all of the NSCA clubs a flyer about selling them for me. I will pay a fair commission to any club that decides to do this. Please don't give up on me. It is my fault for it not being completely finished yet. I have had some issues that have slowed me down.

Mike McAlpine
"Inside the Mind of a Target Setter" A book for target setters and shooters too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:46 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mike--CORVID-19 and my wife's stroke have kept me off ASGW and the range for too long a time. P{lease put me down for a signed copy. Thank you for hanging tough and seeing this project through to completion. You are a role model for us aLL. Thank you--Ken

CSM/TRACS Instructor

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

The Internet is a Delphi Process without the experts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:09 pm 
Utility Grade

Hi Mike
I am also really interested in your book, please let me know as soon is out!
Thanks from rainy Oregon!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:18 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

pdx,

I am finally back on the proofing of all parts of the book. I want to make double sure that everything makes good sense and the way I mean it. It will take about a week to do this. As soon as I send this to my editor and he is finished with everything he has left, it will go to the printer. I am not sure how long this will take or how much it will cost. As soon as I find out, I will list the prices on SGW. My plan is to do a short run on the hard copy version. Then the main run on the glued wrap around book. It will have a soft back and a short run on the spiral notebook for the target setters.

Thanks,

Mike McAlpine

"Inside the mind of a Target Setter" A book for target setters as well as shooters!