ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine's target Setting Book
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:15 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike, I sympathize! I know how long things take....... and it's always longer than you think. "Successful Shotgunning" took me over five years to get to the publishers and "You're Behind it!" took me another three. You begin to wonder if it's worth it..... but you soldier on. Why? Because we love this game, we wouldn't do it otherwise and we love to help shooters. Hang in there! It will be worth it in the end! :wink:

http://www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:24 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Pete, I really value your friendship. Pete, you and I both know that we think and do things a little different but we are both successful.Just because we are different doesn't mean that we don't respect each other.

Mike McAlpine
Look for my PM to you. I am about to tell you something that I am going to try. please keep this to yourself for a while. I want to make some headway with this.

You are the only shooter/ coach That I have told this too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike, I will keep and eye open for your PM.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:52 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Pete I sent is about two hours ago. Let me know when you get it. This will make you mouth drop open and might even bring a belly laugh to you. When I first received this request to be a part of this project, I had to read it a couple of times to believe what I was reading. I forgot, curly knows about this and jokingly told me that I should do this at night. I got a good laugh out of this and told Curly that he may be right but I had to try. If I can accomplish this I think that those out there that think I don't know anything about teaching and might change their mind. In reality, I doubt that would happen. :lol: :o :shock: :? :wink: :roll: :idea: :mrgreen: {hs#

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 am 
Crown Grade

Mike, I have not received your PM yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:17 am 
Crown Grade

pete blakeley wrote:
Mike, I have not received your PM yet.

Is your PM Inbox full??

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade

YevetS No, only one message in there. But at the top it does say " you have 3 new messages but due to full folder they can't be downloaded, please make space" It has said that for several years. Alternatively, Mike can e mail me on my web. site.

www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Pete
Some good reading here
https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewto ... 3&t=499478

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:34 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have some great news. We will be taking the pictures (By a professional) tomorrow morning. My editor should receive them friday. I have mailed a list of the corrections that I found. All that will be left when these two things are finished is the publishing. I thought I had a printer but was recently told that this company didn't do things like this. If any of you have contacts to a publisher, please let me know. We will be ready to print by early next week, I hope.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

If you had a literary agent you wouldn't have that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:58 pm 
Limited Edition

Mike McAlpine wrote:
I thought I had a printer but was recently told that this company didn't do things like this. If any of you have contacts to a publisher, please let me know. We will be ready to print by early next week, I hope.

Mike McAlpine

An important point here, Mike.
You want a printer (print shop) . . . not a publisher, right?
Because, you are self-publishing, self-marketing, and self-distributing your book, correct?

Printer (print shop): a business you hire that simply prints your book on paper, binds the copies as instructed, and provides them all to you for you to do with as you wish. They don't care about the content of the book, and they own no part of it.

Publisher: an entity to which you assign your copyright and production rights (they'll agree to publish your book only if they like it and can turn a profit from it . . . and unless you're already a million-selling author, they'll make this decision only after a lengthy back and forth between you (the author) and their marketing department, subject-matter experts, and content editors). Since the publisher now owns the copyright, they have a vested interest in the book's quality, content, grammar, and target audience, and seldom publish anyone's book as-is.

The publisher assumes all the financial risks for printing, marketing, warehousing, fulfilling orders, and collecting sales tax, alleviating you of all this burden (which you must do if you self-publish). Of course, you must then accept the other side of the bargain: since you assign the copyright and production rights to the publisher, and they take all the financial risk, your financial gain from book sales will be only whatever royalty percentage you negotiate with the publisher.

both available direct from the publisher: http://www.gunshowbooks.com/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:50 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Trap,

Thank you so much for this information. This is what my editor told me at the beginning of this project. I checked with two printing companies and they both told me that they don't do things like this. I guess I need to look further into this. After reading your definitions of both printer and publisher I truly understand what you mean. I sure don't want anyone getting my copyright.
Thanks again for this very important information,

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine
"Inside the Mind of a Target Setter"

A book for target setters as well as shooters. Let me help you to figure out what the setter is trying to do to you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

It,

I don't know what a literary agent. If possible can you tell me more. Remember this is my first time writing a book but I want to learn all about this.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike McAlpine

Mike McAlpine

A book for target setters as well as shooters. Let me help you to figure out what the setter is trying to do to you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:14 pm 
Crown Grade

Basically for a commission they hook you up with publishers and get your work printed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:20 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike, You can get your book published by a company like DiggyPod www.diggypod.com and I have found them to be very good. Its up to you to provide all the content for the book, pictures etc. and they will guide you through the process of formatting the book to get it ready for printing. Once they have all that information, you can get books printed "on demand". That means they will print a minimum order of 24 copies but the more you get printed, the cheaper per copy it will be. The advantage of doing it that way is so that you don't order a huge number of copies and then get left with a lot if they don't sell. The advantage of self-publishing (as Trapshooter Jeff says) is that you will keep the lions share of the profits. If you go with a big publishing outfit, they will pay you a 7% royalty on sales because they have all the costs. Please remember also that if you sell on Amazon, they take 50% of the retail sales.

Sometimes, it will take time for the book to "sink in" to your readers. I wrote "You're Behind it!" in 2007 but because it was something new in the shooting World, for several years it received bad publicity. Today I'm pleased to say it is selling Worldwide better than ever and its the same with Reading Targets. Once a company like DiggyPod has your book onfile, they can run off 500 copies in about a week. Good Luck with the book!

http://www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:20 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Pete for the great advice. I will look into it. I think trapshooter is my editor because I got a mail from him right I posted about a publisher.

Mike McAlpine

Setters, I want to help you to be the best target setter you can be. My book will show and explain how to do this.

Jeff is this you? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:13 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Mike,

When Cathy and I first published the 3 Books we went to Office Depot and they printed and bound all three, for a price, and we had to do a certain number, I don't remember but I feel it was around 50 maybe of each.

Then we discovered the pain of selling them, responding to customers emails, getting their credit cards and then shipping them, dealing with lost copies and having to follow up.

We were sick of it so we looked at Amazon.

Yes they take a chunk of the price but I believe it was worth it, I now do nothing, they ship them, all over the world, get paid, convert currency if needed and once a month a direct deposit to my bank.

They even send me the Tax Form to report the earnings.

As with everything, yes I could change my oil and filters my self, but I pay someone to do it, and avoid the oil disposal performance.

Cathy and I learned the usefulness of out sourcing in business, and applied it to Deer Creek when appropriate and the three books. When she fell ill and that took my time, the money still flowed.

We never would have guessed we would still be getting paid 11 years later.

Roger

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:07 am 
Diamond Grade

If a publisher thinks there is a demand for your book, they will give you a contract to write the book and pay you in advance. That is how well known writers get published.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:21 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Dick for the information but as I have always said, I am not a real writer. I just have the ability to write down my thoughts. I never figured I would make money out of this project but I was hoping I wouldn't lose too much either. I have a plan for two more books. For me, this is about leaving all of the things I have learned over the last 31 years of my target setting and teaching career to another generation. I believe that clay target shooting along with other gun related sports are in trouble. I sure hope not but the signs are there.

My next try at writing will be a book on teaching others to teach new instructors. I learned to do this when I was the NSCA Chief Instructor. My target audience will be all of the youth coaches out there. Then, I might do a book on shooting. Most of this is already done and many of them are great. Peter Blakeley has done a great job of teaching shooters, plus my friend Gil Ash and his wife Vicki as well as others. To do a book on this subject might interest more people but I would probably be repeating what others have already said. I do however have many different ideas that may be a little more unorthodox, so there may be a chance for a book. who knows. At least, I am staying busy doing something I love.

Thanks again.

Mike McAlpine

Last edited by Mike McAlpine on Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:16 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Mike, have you had someone proof read it for you? I would be glad to read a few chapters to see if it needs a professional proof reading.

"A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. Whatever his acts, they are dictated by his own conscience, rather than by a mob of onlookers." Aldo Leopold

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next