ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine's target Setting Book
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:54 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Jim,

I find this interesting. Please let me know all about this game.

Thanks,

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:49 am 
Presentation Grade

jimbloomfield wrote:
Actually Argentina is a new clay game. It is made to attach to a Long Range Controller. It throws 5 pairs from 4 machines in random order. All in under a minute.

That sounds like a hoot and a blast rolled up in a minute!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:03 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I have something like this I call "The Dove Tank." I use four standard machines and one wobble trap. Four people can shoot this game at a time. I set each station so it is totally protected from the other shooters and the shot. Then I set the targets to throw one, two, three, four and even five targets at a time many are released together sometimes they are released randomly. This is supposed to simulate dove coming to water. I have set these up in several places across the country. I think it is great for hunters. We make all of the shooters shoot from a setting position. This will simulated actual tank shooting and will make the game much safer for the shooters. Glasses and earplugs are mandatory. Maybe I should make masks. mandatory too.LOL

Mike

I don't allow spectators too close to the shooters. They can set well behind the firing line and and see the targets in flight. Everything is up in the air and I vary the distances too. All of the birds are outgoing, crossing, quartering incoming. (I set the incoming targets so the shooter can't turn around and shoot behind them.) One other thing that I do is vary the speed of the targets. Birds fly a lot slower that clay targets. These birds will cause a lot of misses for people who shoot a lot of clays.

I also have a quail or Pheasant walk later in the year. Only two shooters at a time here. They must walk side by side. There is enough room for them to swing. The machines are set down a clear path with brush and trees on each side of the path. Some of the birds will fly down the pathy and they are sometimes low. I usually use ten to twelve machines for this game. I use proximity switches to release the birds. This is a fun way to spend a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and it is great upland bird practice. I some time teach students while shooting these games. After all I teach wingshooting as well as target shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:41 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

I will get together some video links that give a idea on how it works. It is a rush

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:02 am 
Tournament Grade

Mike

Ever seen one of these mean machines before?
Four midi clays per second and 200 yard range.

https://flurrylauncher.com/

https://m.facebook.com/devonclayshooting/videos/568881893634471/

https://youtu.be/SyyhNF202W8

Regards

Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:23 am 
Limited Edition

I am in the process of building a 5 stand set up on our farm so I would find this book very helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:20 pm 
Utility Grade

Mike, Please let me know when the book is published. [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:00 pm 
Field Grade

Yes please let us know when this book drops. I'm also looking to setup a 5 stand on some farm ground. The more I think about it, the more questions I have. Looking forward to purchasing this book.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:29 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Pat, Kam Vance,

Thanks for your interest in my new book. There are 160 pages (not including pictures yet) and I tried to put everything I know about target setting. I am sure I have left out some things but I am still proofing everything. My editor said I can add things until I go to the printer. Also, there is a lot of information for the shooters too. Shooters should learn all they can about target setters so they can figure out what the setter is trying to do to them. These things will also help when learning to read targets before you shoot them. I am very tricky with some of my presentations and I also try to help some of the new or less experienced shooters. I believe in variety,balance and setting to all classes. I don't set fluff but I don't cater to the top shooters either. They can hit anything anyway.

As a target setter, shooter, former range owner, Instructor / Coach, the former NSCA Chief instructor and Chief setter at many major shoots, I have learned a lot about all aspects of the game. I was on the AC for ten years and understand what NSCA does. While I got into the politics of our game, I would discourage many people to avoid doing this. It will take away from your enjoyment of shooting and you can't help to upset other AC and EC members. This is the reason I quit the NSCA. Although, I still support the sport and the association, I found that I hurt myself being vocal about things that the committees looked at. All I was guilty of was speaking my mind and giving my opinion. I always went along with whatever was voted in even though I might have disagreed with some of these things. I probably shouldn't have even commented on the NSCA but I was shooting Sporting before they even formed. (1984)

Thanks for listening and always speak your mind. This way others know your thoughts and opinions!

Mike McAlpine
Author "In the Mind of a Target Setter"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:11 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

For those of you who are interested in my new book, please bare with me. I have had some problems come up the last month. I am still going to the doctors but I am feeling much better. I still haven't sent the few pictures I have to my editor but will very soon. I PROMISE you that I will get back n it ASAP. I too want to get this book out.

Thanks for your patience.

Mike McAlpine
"Inside the Mind of a Target Setter"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:40 pm 
Field Grade

Interested.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:53 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike please put me on the list for a Autographed copy.

The Very Best,
Rich Colo