ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mike McAlpine's target Setting Book
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:15 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I am going to keep this post up until my book is on the market. I am setting up a new website for all of you who want a copy. I plan to have this done by a professional and make it easy to order and pay for my book. I am always open to suggestions on how to do this the very best way. Tell me what you think I need to do. I want this to be the best and easiest site online. If the book doesn't lose money, I am planning to publish two more books that I have almost finish. One on shooting and one on how to teach and train shooters. I want to help all of the youth organizations and help get more people evolved in the clay target sports.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine
"Inside the Target Setters Mind"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:55 am 
Crown Grade

Mike, I understand exactly what you mean about setting something up to sell your book directly from your web. site. If you find a way to do that I would be interested to hear about the best way to do that. I sell my books either on Amazon or 2checkout. Amazon take 50% of the sales price of the book and 2 checkout have a $5.00 "handling fee" that is passed on to the buyer.

The Reading Targets book sells at $12.95 and the cost to print the book per copy was $5.25. To ship the book by Media Mail the USPS charge $2.89 plus I need to provide a bubble mailer at $0.60 and of course my time to address the book and take them to the PO. That's a final profit of $4.21 per book sold through 2checkout, $2.98 through Amazon. Digital copies for many don't work, most shooters take either the Unit Lead book or the Reading Targets book with them to the course.

Please let me know if you find a way or if any others on here have suggestions?

http://www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:47 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Pete,

That;s a great price. My editor told me that he wants to use quality paper and bindings; Something that will last. My spiral binding is made to take to the course. I don't know (yet) what the best way is to sell books but for me Amazon is not an option. I am not interested in losing half my profit to someone like Amazon. I plan on using clubs to sell some for me and I had rather give them a percentage of the profit. My books will be more expensive than yours. I am a businessman too so I add up all of my expenses and cost of what it takes to produce the book. My editor is got going to be cheap and the printing cost to produce a book like this is expensive too. My markup is a little higher that what you make but I am trying to create something that will last and hopefully will help new target setters and shooters who come later.

Mike McAlpine

Pete please don't feel that I am knocking you product because I am NOT. I think your book will be great and I hope you sell a lot. You have a great deal of knowledge about the clay target sports and there is no reason not to share it with others. {hs#

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Mike, what you say makes sense. Selling the book through clubs etc. and your own web. will put more money in your pocket. The book contents are based on your experience over the years setting targets and that should be worth a lot. You might also be able to set something up where buyers can pay you direct with CC to a reader on your web. site? I don't know but I'm sure fellow Brit coach Roger Gascoigne does that but with his digital books, not "hard" copies. I will also look into this and see if i can come up with a better solution for us both. :D

www.peteblakeley.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
Pete,

That;s a great price. My editor told me that he wants to use quality paper and bindings; Something that will last. My spiral binding is made to take to the course. I don't know (yet) what the best way is to sell books but for me Amazon is not an option. I am not interested in losing half my profit to someone like Amazon. I plan on using clubs to sell some for me and I had rather give them a percentage of the profit. My books will be more expensive than yours. I am a businessman too so I add up all of my expenses and cost of what it takes to produce the book. My editor is got going to be cheap and the printing cost to produce a book like this is expensive too. My markup is a little higher that what you make but I am trying to create something that will last and hopefully will help new target setters and shooters who come later.

Mike McAlpine

Pete please don't feel that I am knocking you product because I am NOT. I think your book will be great and I hope you sell a lot. You have a great deal of knowledge about the clay target sports and there is no reason not to share it with others. {hs#

Is there a reason you are so set on a physical book vs giving the consumer the option of physical or digital?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:43 pm 

Mike, you should look into using PayPal to get your money. Users can also use a credit card through Paypal, and Paypal gives you the money. I think they get about 5%.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:30 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Curly,

I know alot about shooting, teaching and setting targets but I don't much about computers, cell phones and Ipads. And I sure don't know anything about Paypal and publishing, so I am glad for all of the help I can get. I will take help from anyone that knows about these things. I need to set up a new website but I can't afford to spend a lot of money. I had a great page by Cindy Barton but she sold out to someone else. I set this up on a bank withdraw but for some reason the payment wasn't paid on time and the page canceled me and I lost my website.

Curly,

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, thanks in advance for any other help I might receive.

Since the storm, the two people that have offered to take my pictures have had to put their help on hold. The weather caused a lot of damage and one of the guys had to put the Pictures on hold. He lives in Houston and works for some kind of plant that is down. Until I get the pictures to my editor, I can't send my book off for printing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:37 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Yes, I want a paper book for many reasons but I do plan to make an Ebook later. Roger, and his late wife Cathy knew a lot about this type of book and he has offered to help me when I get ready to do this. Roger is a great friend and so was his wife Cathy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roger, I believe your wife's name starts with a C My wife Kathy's name starts with a K. Please correct me if I am wrong

Thanks for asking a good question!!!!

Looking at you page name I am assuming that this is Zak. Please let me know if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:21 pm 
Crown Grade

zxcvbnm A few years ago the demise of printed books as a result of the introduction of the e book hasn't materialized as predicted. Many of my clients take the books onto the SC course, compare the target presentation and then make their evaluation of how and where to shoot each target on that. By doing that it's like having a personal coach with them, they learn how to read the presentations very quickly and it's tough to do that with a cell phone. Also, e sales of my top selling book, Successful Shotgunning have not been very successful, sales are certainly not as good as hard book sales. Mike suggested that may have something to do with his comment "quality paper and bindings" and perhaps autographed copies?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:27 pm 
Limited Edition

Curly N wrote:
Mike, you should look into using PayPal to get your money. Users can also use a credit card through Paypal, and Paypal gives you the money. I think they get about 5%.

Mike/Curly,
I realize Mike's book isn't directly a firearms-related book but it certainly is indirectly connected.
Do your homework prior to using PayPal. They have been notoriously unfriendly to firearm-related businesses!! I for one will NEVER utilize their service. Google firearm friendly credit card processing. There are many services interested in our business that are not striving to curtail or end our business.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:37 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Gun,

Thanks for your mail. What other services are you talking about? I can google and maybe find out but I was wanting to know the ones that you have confidence in.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine
"Inside the Mind of a Target Setter" A book for target setters and shooters too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:17 pm 
Limited Edition

Mike,
You mentioned setting up a website. Website hosting services are not all friendly to firearm-related content. Shopify, Amazon as well as Godaddy are all reportedly unfriendly to firearm-related businesses.
Below is a link to some good information. A lot of it doesn't pertain to you as you are only selling one product but I would still utilize a firearm-friendly web hosting service which will also provide you a credit card/payment service built-in.

Best of luck,
Dave
https://www.nssf.org/choosing-an-e-commerce-platform/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:01 pm 
Field Grade

Just sent you a text concerning the pics.

SBEIII, Left-handed
Franchi Instinct L
SBEII Max 5, Left-Hand
Super Nova
Super Nova Tactical
Canon 5D Mk IV
Canon 7D Mk II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:07 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks Left Ray. I will look at it now. I hope you made it through the last few week without too much trouble.

Mike McAlpine

I just looked at my texts and I didn't see one from you. Can you send it PM or email. Either that resend the text.

Thanks again

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:59 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I am in the process of developing a new website designed to make buying one of my books easy. The new address will be clay target. biz. My old site that I lost was clay target.us. My guy is working hard to do this the right way and is cutting me some slack on the price. It will be up before that printing is finished. I am just trying to keep everyone informed.

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:29 pm 
Utility Grade

GEEZ Mike get it done already. George.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:53 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

George,

If you have never done something like this (I haven't) you can't imagine all of the things that have to be done. As far as the text goes, I have been finished with it for several months. There is no one who wants to finish this project more than me. Please understand that I am doing everything I can. I never thought that it would take this long but on the other side of the coin, I keep coming up with more things that hadn't thought o. I want this to be a quality book; using good quality paper and three different bindings so everyone that is interested will get a quality book. As of now, this book as over 200 pages in it.

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine
"Inside the Mind of a Target Setter

I want to apologize to everyone for the time that this is taking. I am very embarrassed about this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:56 am 
Limited Edition

Mike

consider General patton's comment

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week"

Other people have written two or three books while you strive for perfection.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:48 am 

Come on guys, be patient with Mike. I know the wait is difficult, but quit bustin' on the guy. Nobody wants it on the market any more than he does.

Let us endeavor so to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
Mark Twain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:18 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Curly,

I have been waiting for the flaming to start. Old Brown guy seems to like to do this. He is just showing his IQ. No problem but thank you for the help. I am trying everyday to get this book out but right now, it is no longer up to me. I really hope people enjoy and learn from my book. As I have mentioned, I tried to write in a way so shooters can get a lot out if it too.

Mike McAlpine

I again apologize for the time this project is taking.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next