ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pre Shot Routine Madness
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:15 pm 
Crown Grade

:-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:17 pm 
Limited Edition

If I’m shooting well I don’t take that much time between shots. I’m not rushing but I’m certainly not the human rain delay by any means. I like to keep the rhythm “flowing “ as you might say.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:08 pm 
Field Grade

It is becoming a problem in big shoots. A lot of the younger shooters have been coached to use these drawn out pre-shot routines. The way its going, a time limit may become a necessity on State, Region, National, Open shoots. On smaller shoots its a non starter due to lack of or absence of qualified referees/scorers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:28 pm 
Crown Grade

sierra42 wrote:
It is becoming a problem in big shoots. A lot of the younger shooters have been coached to use these drawn out pre-shot routines. The way its going, a time limit may become a necessity on State, Region, National, Open shoots. On smaller shoots its a non starter due to lack of or absence of qualified referees/scorers.

Well said

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:21 pm 
Presentation Grade

I shot a big event last year, it was pouring rain, and the squad of 4 in front of us, decided that they all needed to change chokes after seeing show pairs every time, I finally made a comment of "you know why don't you just take your chokes out after you shoot, this way at the next station you don't have to take as much time taking chokes out, then back in" one dude starred at me and said "they are my targets and I'll take as much time as I want". Another one backed it up with "why the rush Francis" so at that point, I just accepted that I was going to be just as wet that day as I'am duck hunting.

Apparently I found the squad of Karen's and Brad's out in the wild that day.

They also liked to change chokes after missing a bird in a pair, sometimes after two pairs of four, they would stop and change lenses in their glasses or as mentioned their choke. I mean if it was 80 degree's and sunny it wouldn't have been a big deal, but when I'm draining water from barrels when I break my gun open, I think you might be using up too much time.

Pace of play.......ask Ian Poultier and Bubba Watson about it.......those two seem to have different opinions on the subject matter.

I get the pre-shot routine, I have one as well, but when squads are dragging their butts, it screws up the entire shoot, I've seen squads of three bring entire shoots to a screaming halt and back up 5 to 6 stations.

Can't really enforce a shot clock rule, because then you will need refs, a club could put simple signs "to keep this shoot moving along nicely and promptly please make sure that you aren't taken excessive time between pairs" something to that affect. However I'm of the mindset that, that's the last thing this sport needs is shooters turning on each other about a "rule violation". Besides the biggest and offense/no no that there is in shooting, and that involves using your MD degree to do emergency surgery on your piece of paper with your name and score on it.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:34 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

gdub41 wrote:
They also liked to change chokes after missing a bird in a pair, sometimes after two pairs of four,

That would be a violation of NSCA rule VII, B, 3.

Youtube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:38 pm 
Presentation Grade

Feeeetask! wrote:
gdub41 wrote:
They also liked to change chokes after missing a bird in a pair, sometimes after two pairs of four,

Rules and rule book?

I carry one actually in my bag in a zip lock bag so it doesn't become a soggy mess, at the time I was so frustrated I didn't even care anymore, I should have busted it out.

NSCA#620844

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:54 pm 
Crown Grade

gdub41 wrote:
Feeeetask! wrote:
gdub41 wrote:

Rules and rule book?

I carry one actually in my bag in a zip lock bag so it doesn't become a soggy mess, at the time I was so frustrated I didn't even care anymore, I should have busted it out.

I would guess that they all had a lot on the line that day. A legitimate shot at C8 or D5. Just needed to run those last 5 stations for a nice solid 60 for the round. :lol:

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:39 am 
Limited Edition

The main reason I hate shooting sporting…I used to shoot it just about every weekend until it got to the point of changing chokes, taking an hour to call for the bird, then there’s the carts. It’s my understanding (and more than likely I’m wrong)…sporting started out to mimic actual hunting. Granted I’m not a huge bird hunter due to lack of places to do it local to me, but I have never seen anyone changing chokes, nor in a cart where I’ve hunted, but that is another thread.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:31 am 
Crown Grade

GE-Mini-gun wrote:
The main reason I hate shooting sporting…I used to shoot it just about every weekend until it got to the point of changing chokes, taking an hour to call for the bird, then there’s the carts. It’s my understanding (and more than likely I’m wrong)…sporting started out to mimic actual hunting. Granted I’m not a huge bird hunter due to lack of places to do it local to me, but I have never seen anyone changing chokes, nor in a cart where I’ve hunted, but that is another thread.

I have been competing at sporting for 11 years and during my time there really hasn’t been any attempt to mimic hunting. It is a shooting game only now

A couple of fundraiser type shoots for DU or ruffed grouse society had some social fun side games like flurries but that was besides the competition round.

Shooting clays of any type I think helps you out in the field just due to increased trigger time. You can’t really simulate the randomness of wild game birds and how they react and fly

Both hunting and assorted shooting games are just fun activities to undertake with your guns but all are very different.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:55 am 
Tournament Grade

A shorter pre shot routine allows for more time for fist bumps at the end.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:43 pm 
Limited Edition

No bumps with covid. We will be done shooting 100 birds in one hour!

But back to the pre shot routines, I agree with another poster that young shooters are being coached into having these elaborate preshot routines aka Wendell and his proteges. I mean, I would love to stare blankly out into space for 15-30 seconds each pair and imagine the shot happening. But I am a guy....my mind will wander and think about hot exes, porsches, scotch/tequila, etc. in that time. I like a succinct and application based method.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:56 pm 
Crown Grade

The Swanny wrote:

But back to the pre shot routines, I agree with another poster that young shooters are being coached into having these elaborate preshot routines aka Wendell and his proteges. I mean, I would love to stare blankly out into space for 15-30 seconds each pair and imagine the shot happening. But I am a guy....my mind will wander and think about hot exes, porsches, scotch/tequila, etc. in that time. I like a succinct and application based method.

Either that, or just plain forget what the hell youre doing there.:-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:18 pm 
Presentation Grade

I can do without the fist bumps as well, and yes I have accepted my fate as someone that walks everywhere at sporting clays events, it's only a matter of time before I get hit by someone flying around in a UTV and then of course it will be my fault. Also another thread and another topic for another day.

My pet peeve is the squad of front of you that acts like they have never shot before, asking what the rotation is by station 8, changing the score cards around, turning around in the box and asking the other squad members "was I behind that" or "where was I on that" yada yada yada.

NSCA#620844

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:21 pm 
Crown Grade

gdub41 wrote:
I can do without the fist bumps as well, and yes I have accepted my fate as someone that walks everywhere at sporting clays events, it's only a matter of time before I get hit by someone flying around in a UTV and then of course it will be my fault. Also another thread and another topic for another day.

My pet peeve is the squad of front of you that acts like they have never shot before, asking what the rotation is by station 8, changing the score cards around, turning around in the box and asking the other squad members "was I behind that" or "where was I on that" yada yada yada.

You’re invited to be a member of the ‘SUAS’ club. We’d be honored:-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Rooster booster wrote:
The Swanny wrote:

Either that, or just plain forget what the hell youre doing there.:-)

That is by far the most common lol!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:55 pm 
Crown Grade

It is with me lately!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:42 pm 
Crown Grade

The simulated shooting and tracing the line in between pairs seems to take the most time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:16 pm 
Crown Grade

hopper810 wrote:
See Bird-KILL Bird ------PULL, Easy -peasy :)

Been shooting sporting since ‘91 and my pre- shot routine follows the mantra above. In terms of this discussion out of ignorance I must ask, what the hell does “ chase the witches “ mean?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:31 pm 
Presentation Grade

winmod21 wrote:
hopper810 wrote:
See Bird-KILL Bird ------PULL, Easy -peasy :)

Been shooting sporting since ‘91 and my pre- shot routine follows the mantra above. In terms of this discussion out of ignorance I must ask, what the hell does “ chase the witches “ mean?

And "SUAS". Still working on catching up with you guys. :oops:

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting >3 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next