ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pre Shot Routine Madness
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:01 pm 
Field Grade

OHH this is funny. I love watching guys go through their crazy pre-shot routine to only blank on the pair. If you're really really good, shooting for your lively hood, go ahead and do whatever. But, for the rest of us, take a second to settle in, call pull, and shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:40 pm 
Crown Grade

The Swanny wrote:
Eriehunter wrote:
Take as long as you want in the box to prepare yourself mentally to shoot your targets, I will respect your time in the box, however long or short that may be.

For those of you that get in the box and shoot your targets rapidly with very little set up and forethought what is your average?

So....you are parlaying the longer time in the box automatically = better scores?! Really?! Totally unsubstantiated baloney.

I think most everyone has a 'process'. Just some are ridiculously long and tedious and don't mean higher scores.

In regards to averages I tend to worry about my own and don't care about anyone else's. Since you brought it up, I did check yours and I suggest you worry more about your own perhaps and a change in process by speeding up may help raise your average :)

Actually, thanks for bringing it up. I noticed my routine has been a little faster than it should be and I need to slow down. I have better success when I step into the box with a plan and rehearse the plan before calling for the targets.

I have shot with and watched many of the best shooters in the world, generally they hardly step into the box throw shells into the gun call for the pair and get out of the box w/o running some kind of moderate to lengthy preshot routine. If I recall correctly Digweed was probably the fastest most others were quite a bit longer.

Since you looked me up at least provide the courtesy of your NSCA number so I can check you up.

gdub41 wrote:
"pace of play"

the reason why the PGA had to push for a standardized "pace of play rule" take your time, but lets not get nuts here and then start spending 45 minutes per station.

I am not familiar with the rules of golf, please explain.

Although the little bit I have watched golf on TV I would say I can't recall any of the best golfers rushing through their time on the tee. Granted some are faster than others I would say none are in a race.

mdlott wrote:
He looks like a pretty damn good shooter to me. But, WTH do I know, I'm only in C class. (About to punch into B, though)

Thank you, I've had some decent success and some epic failures, comes with the territory. Keep working towards your goals.

Anxiety in the shot/process of shooting is the enemy of shooting well. The time you take to quiet that beast is time well spent. (I was told something similar this by one of the best shooters in the world)

Good luck.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:54 pm 
Diamond Grade

At one time I could just step into the box, know where the targets are coming from and shoot.

Those days are gone. Now there is nothing that a trap can't do with speed, angle, and trickery to the shooter. Thus pre-shot routine started. The type of targets has forced me to have a routine. We are not all the same, and understand that. A lot of other things make up sporting clays along with routines that take up time. I could name a few.. Enjoy the sport....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Swanny, are you top 3rd in Master? I think that folks critical of others better be damn good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:23 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

If a shooter wants to take 15 minutes doing his/her preshot routine, that's on them.

Do you really need a preshot routine? Only you can answer that question.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:20 pm 
Limited Edition

I come from a USPSA background. It's a given that everyone gets to "walk through" the stage before shooting it. When it's your turn to shoot you get a final static rehearsal then it's go time. Some take a little longer than others but pretty much everyone has to take some time to "program" their run into their heads.

tp

12/26" Franchi Affinity 3
12/26" ATI Cavalry (waiting 2 months now for a frikkin' firing pin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:37 pm 
Crown Grade

Very different. The ‘walk through’ is done as a squad, and a proper RSO will keep that moving.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:09 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Imagine if a young Tiger Woods listened to every weekend warrior rushing through the round to get back to the club house for cocktails that said, "Hey kid just tee up and hit it. You're not that good anyway!"

Youtube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:09 am 
Crown Grade

T-Pee wrote:
I come from a USPSA background. It's a given that everyone gets to "walk through" the stage before shooting it. When it's your turn to shoot you get a final static rehearsal then it's go time. Some take a little longer than others but pretty much everyone has to take some time to "program" their run into their heads.

tp

You get a walk through. They are called show pairs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:22 am 
Crown Grade

lt0026 wrote:
T-Pee wrote:

tp

You get a walk through. They are called show pairs.

I do not think that is the issue. To me, it is the third guy in the rotation, who has just watched about 10 show pairs in the form of the shooters in front of him, stepping into the box as if he hasn't seen the targets at all. If he hasn't formed his plan by then, no major time-consuming routine is really going to help him. Like Erie, I also tend to rush, and need to actually slow down just a little.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:37 am 
Limited Edition

The level of butt hurt by individuals who obviously have a routine like the priests in The Exorcist is thick. I also have a preshot routine that is not that long. I shoot in the open desert where there are little to any references for hold point, etc. And targets are generally tougher than up north. So you have to pay extra attention to those show targets. I don't care and EXPECT everyone to have a preshot routine. All I am asking is get it done in 15 seconds or less.

I am not some top 20 M shooter. Those guys that are, more power to them. They usually shoot together anyhow and can trace the sky with their guns and chase their demons until the cows come home. But Local Larry who barely practices once a week then slaps on the routine like he THINKS he is some to 20 M shooter......that is the 'problem'.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:50 am 
Diamond Grade

So we could say the unspoken rule is unless you're shooting for HOA or M1-3 just get on with it.

I think that seems reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:54 am 
Presentation Grade

birdhunter39 wrote:
So we could say the unspoken rule is unless you're shooting for HOA or M1-3 just get on with it.

That might be SGW's post of the year...........I literally blew coffee out of my nose and mouth.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:13 am 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:

In 15 seconds sounds reasonable don't you think?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:19 am 
Diamond Grade

So i just stared at my watch for 15 seconds and mentally went through my pre shot routine. I think it's about the perfect amount of time!

doesn't allow time for changing chokes or going back to the cart for different shells BUT those things should have been done already so i think we've got a winner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:59 am 
Limited Edition

birdhunter39 wrote:
So i just stared at my watch for 15 seconds and mentally went through my pre shot routine. I think it's about the perfect amount of time!

doesn't allow time for changing chokes or going back to the cart for different shells BUT those things should have been done already so i think we've got a winner.

:lol: Choke changing is a whole nether clock.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:53 pm 
Limited Edition

15 seconds seems looong. I think you're being generous. I was done after 4 seconds :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 pm 
Crown Grade

The Swanny wrote:
In regards to averages I tend to worry about my own and don't care about anyone else's. Since you brought it up, I did check yours and I suggest you worry more about your own perhaps and a change in process by speeding up may help raise your average :)

Eriehunter wrote:
Since you looked me up at least provide the courtesy of your NSCA number so I can check you up.

<<< Crickets chirping >>>

Never mind I looked you up.

NSCA #551026

FORUMS are for ENTERTAINMENT ONLY. They don't teach shooting!

{RO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:10 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:13 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

KRIEGHOFFK80 wrote:

:lol: I resemble that on occasion :lol:

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next