ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Another Question? Mike McAlpine's Book - What Kind of pr
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:29 am 
Diamond Grade

Mike--Congratulations on bringing your upcoming book to this point. It has been a long journey.

Regarding Format-If you are still planning to link the book to videos as you have indicated, then I suggest a spiral bound format because it allows the book to lie flat while viewing the videos and having easy access to the pertinent text.

Regarding price versus cost: The price should cover direct costs plus a mark-up. This is governed by how many copies you expect to sell a full retail price. Fewer copies equals higher per unit price. The complete package with videos will be pricey. I think you are under-estimating the audience for your book. Any serious fledgling competition or serious recreational shooter should want the book as a guide to target analysis. Every range-owner and instructor are prospective buyers of your book.

The question of, "What the market will bear?, is informed by the recent releases of Anthoney's video. Let's say your book is the equivalent of a 4 hour target setting class; an appropriate price for the book could be based on your per person charge for the 4 hour class.

Price structure will vary with format. Book plus videos is top of the line, ebook/knidle text only is probably the least expensive. Should a sponsor be found, the sponsor may underwrite a given number of copies. Manufacturers of trap machines, and target companies come to mind as possible sponsors. NSCA should include a copy for all level three instructors-but do not hold your breath.

Your publisher should be able to guide through this.

I will buy your book as soon as you are taking orders. Congratulations again.

CSM/TRACS Instructor

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

The Internet is a Delphi Process without the experts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:10 pm 
Tournament Grade

I took Mike's 3 day TRAPS class a few years ago after the PA state shoot at Stonycreek where he set the targets. The class was great and I really learned a lot about shooting and target setting. So I am very much looking forward to this book when it comes out regardless of price.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:50 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ken and Mac,

I really appreciate your comments. It is endorsements like yours that will help me sell a lot more copies. We are getting very close to finish as far as the book is concerned. I may offer spiral and glued wrap around bindings. It just depends on the cost. This book will be out with in a few months. I have spent the morning going over everything my editor has. He wants me to check for any mistakes or if I would like to add something that I may have forgot to include.

Your friend,

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:59 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Ken just suggested that I might add a few sponsorship from some of the big names in our sport. I have also been thinking about this but was concerned that some people might think I was just trying to make more money. When he mentioned that I might get enough of these sponsorship's to help pay for a lot of my production cost, which would let me get the price down. I became interested again in this idea. What do you think

Mike McAlpine

I really do want to know

If this book is well received, I plan on finishing my two other books that I have started. One on shooting and one on teaching new coaches. I would be targeting the many youth coaches around the country. Both of these books will have completely different information in them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:14 pm 
Diamond Grade

Mike,
Magazines don't make money, or probably break even, from subscriptions. Their money comes from the advertisers and we get a copy every month for a couple bucks. Kinda a win-win. So if you can get some sponsorship money to help on your end and help us by keeping the cost down, that would also be a win-win in my book.
Go for it!
:D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:25 pm 
Tournament Grade

You SHOULD be trying to make money. We all do. If you can get a sponsor or three to help fund the up-front costs .. do it. If it helps get cost down so you can get your work in front of more people .. win/win.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:30 pm 
Crown Grade

Denver1911 wrote:
You SHOULD be trying to make money. We all do. If you can get a sponsor or three to help fund the up-front costs .. do it. If it helps get cost down so you can get your work in front of more people .. win/win.

I agree. There's no shame in making money from your knowledge and experience.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Guys,

I really appreciate your comments. I just don't want the integrity of my book to be hurt by putting a few adds in the back of my book. I only will take a few as this isn't a magazine. I am still trying to make some of the additions and corrections that the editor has sent me. Hopefully I will finish these tomorrow and add the FITASC sketches for Cuish. I have contacted NSCA about the rules for Super Sporting and the new FITASC like game. I don't even know it's name. My request has been sent to Pete Mash. If anyone will know what they are, Pete will. This guy knows everything about the sporting games as well as Trap and Sheet. He and Barney Brown do this every days of their lives. Glynne suggested I contact Dana Farrell at Clay Shooting USA for the rules to the new game that I am hearing about. I don't know a things about this one but I will very soon. I wanted to make sure that it was included in my book.

Thanks,

Mike McAlpine

Please keep your thoughts coming.

Also, if any of you can tell me the name of this new game and maybe how it is played, I would appreciate hearing from you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

www.americanfieldsporting.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike, sent you an email. Doug

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Carpenters-Custom-Gunstocks-LLC/378909012204503

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:46 am 
Presentation Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
Glynne suggested I contact Dana Farrell at Clay Shooting USA for the rules to the new game that I am hearing about. I don't know a things about this one but I will very soon. I wanted to make sure that it was included in my book.

The "new game" adapted its rules since being written about in ClayShootingUSA a couple months ago. If you want to know the latest, go to the website listed above and fill out the contact form. https://americanfieldsporting.com/contact

I suggest that you see it being shot before you try to write about it. It was thrown at the North Central Regional last week and it was a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:27 am 
Tournament Grade

I thought the book was about target setting. I wasn’t aware that AFS was throwing targets never seen before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:48 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Thanks to all of you who replied about AFS. Yes, I have never seen this game played. If any of you have shot this game could you send me your comments and what you thought about it. Who came up with this game and what are they trying to accomplish with this game? We have a lot of clay target games now and a lot of us will have to drop some of he other games to be able to afford to take on another one. Well, at least I will. Heck, I am not shooting all of the ones I really like to shoot; especially FITASC. I really like the targets and being forced to shoot a low gun. FITASC has helped my other full mount games. LOL

As Always, I appreciate all of the help you guys have given me. I don't do things half a$$. I found out long ago to always do the best job you can and don't cut corners if it will diminish the quality of what ever you are doing. I try to do my research and get my ducks in order.

Mike McAlpine

Big, Please enlighten me about your reply. I am kind of show these days and I would like to understand your comment. I think it may be a funny, {hs#

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

If you want to make money publishing a real book you need a literary agent once the book is complete. If you want to self publish and sell a hundred books via the net good luck making money.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:50 am 
Presentation Grade

Mike McAlpine wrote:
I don't do things half a$$. I found out long ago to always do the best job you can and don't cut coroners if it will diminish the quality of what ever you are doing. I try to do my research and get my ducks in order.

#

Take your own advice and do the research. There was a fairly long package of stories in the most recent ClayShootingUSA that answers your questions about who invented the game and what he was deciding to do with it. The website has a lot of information too.

Trying to write about something you’ve never seen or experienced strikes me as a fool’s errand. If you can’t see it in person or shoot it before you publish, then don’t write about it. Stick to the things you DO know and have expertise in.

I agree that you shouldn’t cut “coroners.” After all, they’re people just like the rest of us. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:15 pm 
Crown Grade

People want to see on a screen what you are trying to explain. The recent Matarese video's are up to date with recent technology. They are well done. Anthony is a good teacher and well spoken. You need a good star of the show. Is that you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:36 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I made a mistake with bird. He emailed me and told me that it was not his intention to offend me. bird as I told you in my email back to you, I have deleted my reply and again I am sorry for making it. {hs#

Mike McAlpine

Also, I want to apologize to those of you who red this. I will do better.

Last edited by Mike McAlpine on Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:45 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

it, I guess it is. I have known Anthony since is was a little kid and I too think he is a great coach. If you want to compare us, then go ahead but I am not trying to take away from anyone. I as usual, I am just trying to help the sport. I wonder what you have done for it.

Folks, as I have mentioned many times before, I don't take crap from anyone. I may be a little testy today but I don't think so. The last two BS post are the first I have receive since I started talking about my target setting book. I will stop now because I don't like this stuff starting up again.

Mike McAlpine

If you think I am wrong in these two replies, I am sorry.

Please keep giving me good advice because this is a way to do first hand research!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:03 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Mike, with all due respect, I think you need to steer this thread back to the original question about price. My two-cent take on it is you should not be asking us directly as internet forum answerers are going to have extremely little insight into the book publishing business... I think it would be much better if you asked outright, "Would you pay $xx for the spiral bound version? Would you pay $xx for the hardbound version?) and, "Would you pay $xx for an e-reader version?" You could even create a poll with a range of prices for each option. Just a thought -- but mostly, good luck with you book and I hope it is a success for you!

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:11 pm 
Presentation Grade

JacksBack wrote:
internet forum answerers are going to have extremely little insight into the book publishing business...

You might be surprised.