ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Image



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 7:32 am 
Presentation Grade

Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:22 pm
Posts: 687
Roger Gascoigne wrote:
Since I got replacement lenses due to cataracts, I don't have the floaters I used to have YMMV

Same for me.



_________________
Frannie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:30 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:11 pm
Posts: 144
Location: DFW, TX
Will Fennell wrote:
Redi,
You want the BEST vision you can get in BOTH eyes. Trying to have weaker vision in an eye versus the other, will NOT effect dominance. you want all the vision you can get. This is straight from Dr Colo.....

Best,

Will


This makes perfect sense and I will try the both eye correction route and see how it goes for "eye test" style target presentations.

What is a puzzle (and not trying to change this into an eye dominance thread) is how many shooters I see with some sort of occlusion device on their glasses (tape, dot, etc.), and how often this is a fix from formal instruction or even self discovery. Maybe they don't miss having the extra eye.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:41 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 am
Posts: 1777
Will Fennell wrote:
Redi,
You want the BEST vision you can get in BOTH eyes. Trying to have weaker vision in an eye versus the other, will NOT effect dominance. you want all the vision you can get. This is straight from Dr Colo.....

Will,
Who is Dr Colo...? Sounds like someone I may need to help me with some post cataract issues.
Thx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:48 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:22 pm
Posts: 11029
Location: Athens,TX.
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Will Fennell wrote:
Redi,
You want the BEST vision you can get in BOTH eyes. Trying to have weaker vision in an eye versus the other, will NOT effect dominance. you want all the vision you can get. This is straight from Dr Colo.....

Will,
Who is Dr Colo...? Sounds like someone I may need to help me with some post cataract issues.
Thx


https://www.richardcolo.com/

_________________
Jerry

TSRA LIFE MEMBER
NSCA #610xxx

Rose City Clays - Tyler TX
5H Shooting Sports Frankston TX ( Formally the Chicken Ranch)
Caney Creek- Teague TX


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:15 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:28 pm
Posts: 2202
Location: The Great North West
I personally had no idea how bad my eyes had become until I had a checkup and sent my new script to Tom Donahue for new prescription lenses. He immediately called be and said I needed to have my DR. check what they wrote because if it were correct something is wrong and I needed to go see an ophthalmologist. Went back in to see my Dr. & she said the script was correct at the time and it had changed significantly over less than two weeks. I called the surgeons who did my Lasik 17 years earlier, told then what happened and they got me right in. After about 4 hours of test and exams they said I had cataracts that had turned particularly aggressive and they need to be removed as soon as possible. in short I got the left eye done and I opted for the custom lenses designed to match my eye. On the way home i was finally able to open that eye and i was absolutely astonished at the difference. The difference between my right eye and my left was like my right eye everything was very yellow and dim and the left eye was lit like everything was illuminated with new, super bright LED white lights. Really astounding difference. The next day when I went back I told them I felt really stupid for not noticing the difference and was told that in the beginning it happens slowly and nobody notices it, like the frog in warm water. Even driving at night now is much easier because there is virtually no glare at all, as for targets, I can see them better in the shadows now but glaring sunlight and dark shadows are still an issue. in short it might be good to talk to your DR.s to see if you have them and if their progressing to the point to make it worthwhile to have them removed. Mine still get tired and I make sure i use drops before shooting. I still can't shoot as well as I dod once upon a time but better that I did before my surgery with not nearly as many "can't see" targets.
I too have floaters and have all of my life, I even remember when i was a kid watching clouds seeing them against the blue sky. I was told that the fluid in your eyes isn't really a fluid so to say, but more closely to a thick jell and replacing it really isn't something really possible. I think they said, in for really big ones they can go in and such them out, but that was for extreme cases and it's best to just learn to ignore them which I usually do right up to the time someone mentioned them then i see them all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:04 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 am
Posts: 1777
hopper810 wrote:
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Will Fennell wrote:
Redi,
You want the BEST vision you can get in BOTH eyes. Trying to have weaker vision in an eye versus the other, will NOT effect dominance. you want all the vision you can get. This is straight from Dr Colo.....

Will,
Who is Dr Colo...? Sounds like someone I may need to help me with some post cataract issues.
Thx


https://www.richardcolo.com/

Thanks, Jerry.
{hs#


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:19 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 2688
Location: Central Maine
I have a question about shooting and lenses for prescription vision correction. I expect to be turning in my readers for all the time glasses when I have appointment to see eye doctor next week

My initial thought is to go with progressive lenses. Can anyone give input on how this type of lense works for clay target shooting? Are there issues with them in this application ? I understand that everyone can have a different experience. Just looking for feedback from other shooters on their personal experience.

_________________
Beretta A400 Excel "Black" Cole Special
Browning Citori Crossover Target

NSCA 602398


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:51 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:02 am
Posts: 2470
Location: KS
Years ago, but for me, progressives were useless for shooting. At the time that I tried them, one had to "point" center of vision at the object that one intended for sharp focus. If one held his head still and moved his eyes to see something, that something was viewed through a part of the lenses that was out of focus for any distance. Progressives may have improved; I do not know. I went back to bifocals (now trifocals) and never tried progressives again.

Ask your optometrist (ideally, s/he is a shooter) how modern progressives would perform in a sporting clays application. If the optometrist isn't a shooter, you should still be able to obtain a sound professional opinion by describing how you use your eyes when shooting. Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:18 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am
Posts: 5591
I go for my exam every 2 years. My eye MD says for shooting, distance vision correction is best. I wear progressives all other times. I need to take my shooting glasses off to read a score card. I can read a scorecard without glasses. Remember 20/20 means you see a target clear at 20 feet.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:59 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 2688
Location: Central Maine
Thanks MWR and LT. that makes sense. Gives me some perspective on the issue.

_________________
Beretta A400 Excel "Black" Cole Special
Browning Citori Crossover Target

NSCA 602398


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:26 pm 
Diamond Grade
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:02 am
Posts: 1777
Years ago my DO, who was also a pilot, made up a set of progressives for me. I almost threw up before I could get them off! He tried explaining that they take some time to get used to and I told him that unless he wanted me to spend that time 'driving the porcelain bus', it wasn't going to happen. He also told me that he had a number of pilot clients who were using them and I explained why they should be outlawed for pilots.

He wasn't convinced so I wrote him a letter (this was waaay before emails. lol ) explaining exactly what my arguments were. He later sent me a copy of an article he'd had published in one of the medical journals for optometrists in which he used my arguments as a caveat to prescribing progressives to pilots.

Pilots know that moving your head around is a good way to induce vertigo and since you have to move your head to get the correct area of a progressive lens lined up with whatever you're trying to see, a pilot is asking for trouble. And I suspect so is a shooter if/when he starts moving his head to properly see the target.

Here's a link showing the basics of different lens types. Scroll down to see the different ones.

https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/which ... ogressives

Zenni even has a page on how to get used to progressives the bottom line of which is learn to move your head and not your eyes. Pass.

https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/how-t ... lsrc=aw.ds


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:25 pm 
Field Grade

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:50 am
Posts: 26
Location: Dallas Area
Redi, you may want to check in with Dr. Brian Marshall in Dallas. He's on Preston Road south of Campbell. Just as an FYI, a year or so ago I listened to Will and other top sporting shooters discussing Dr. Richard Colo on the Behind the Break podcast. I googled on Dr. Colo and sent him an email the next day. I will admit to being a little amazed when, some days later, Dr. Colo called me on my cellphone. We talked at length about my issues and he subsequently referred me to Dr. Marshall, with whom he has worked, in Dallas. BTW, I'm about to be 74, and I'm center and sometimes cross dominant (right handed). Currently shooting a DT11 Sporting.

Dr. Marshall is from Iowa. He is not currently an active shooter but grew up hunting pheasants in his home state. I have a partial cataract in my right eye which is not quite ready for excision. Dr. Marshall's prescription has helped me greatly.

Phil Lehman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:31 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:11 pm
Posts: 144
Location: DFW, TX
H3phil wrote:
Redi, you may want to check in with Dr. Brian Marshall in Dallas. He's on Preston Road south of Campbell. Just as an FYI, a year or so ago I listened to Will and other top sporting shooters discussing Dr. Richard Colo on the Behind the Break podcast. I googled on Dr. Colo and sent him an email the next day. I will admit to being a little amazed when, some days later, Dr. Colo called me on my cellphone. We talked at length about my issues and he subsequently referred me to Dr. Marshall, with whom he has worked, in Dallas. BTW, I'm about to be 74, and I'm center and sometimes cross dominant (right handed). Currently shooting a DT11 Sporting.

Dr. Marshall is from Iowa. He is not currently an active shooter but grew up hunting pheasants in his home state. I have a partial cataract in my right eye which is not quite ready for excision. Dr. Marshall's prescription has helped me greatly.

Phil Lehman


Thanks Phil,

I will look him up and get on his schedule.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:27 am 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:11 pm
Posts: 144
Location: DFW, TX
I sort of migrated this week from my shooting contact lenses back to a set of zenni's single vision with high index lenses and a clip on yellow they sell for $4 (my cheapest ever shooting glasses :D ). Worked as well if not better, picked up a couple of punches this weekend. Seemed to see about as well as anything else I have tried and a bit less hassle.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:33 am 
Crown Grade

Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:29 pm
Posts: 2688
Location: Central Maine
dpe2002 wrote:
Thanks MWR and LT. that makes sense. Gives me some perspective on the issue.


An update on my journey with this....

Had my follow up eye appoint about 2 weeks ago. Was able to confirm nothing catastrophic was going on in the eyes and no major changes to actual vision since the May appointment.

Made the decision to make a more aggressive change on the glasses I use at home and work for desk and computer work. Had not changed my readers prescription in about 5 years but my eyes had changed a fair amount. I was struggling at times with them and experiencing a lot of eye fatigue over the past several months which I believe triggered the cross dominance issue that has made its ugly appearance for the first time in my shooting life during recent months.

I got progressives in an office / computer recommended recipe and have used them since middle of this week. Small sample size but am adapting to them fairly quickly.

I have also been using more eye drops and trying to be a little smarter about pushing the envelope too hard. Being a little nicer to the eyes.

Had a tournament at my home club yesterday and shot the best that I had at any time since January/February time frame. Had no occasions where I thought that the left eye took over. It was a big relief and am encouraged that over the next few months, if I get the eyes feeling better and stronger that my shooting days will come with results more in line with what my typical are....

_________________
Beretta A400 Excel "Black" Cole Special
Browning Citori Crossover Target

NSCA 602398


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:14 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 148
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Will Fennell wrote:
Redi,
You want the BEST vision you can get in BOTH eyes. Trying to have weaker vision in an eye versus the other, will NOT effect dominance. you want all the vision you can get. This is straight from Dr Colo.....

Will,
Who is Dr Colo...? Sounds like someone I may need to help me with some post cataract issues.
Thx


He was my eye doc before knowing he was a sports and shooting vision expert. Great guy and great doc. If you can visit him or visit a clinic Will Fennel outs on, do so. He’s helped me, not that my scores will tell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: deteriorating vision... alas age
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:19 pm 
Tournament Grade

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:22 pm
Posts: 148
Location: People's Republic of Massachusetts
Stuck-N-Kali wrote:
Years ago my DO, who was also a pilot, made up a set of progressives for me. I almost threw up before I could get them off! He tried explaining that they take some time to get used to and I told him that unless he wanted me to spend that time 'driving the porcelain bus', it wasn't going to happen. He also told me that he had a number of pilot clients who were using them and I explained why they should be outlawed for pilots.

He wasn't convinced so I wrote him a letter (this was waaay before emails. lol ) explaining exactly what my arguments were. He later sent me a copy of an article he'd had published in one of the medical journals for optometrists in which he used my arguments as a caveat to prescribing progressives to pilots.

Pilots know that moving your head around is a good way to induce vertigo and since you have to move your head to get the correct area of a progressive lens lined up with whatever you're trying to see, a pilot is asking for trouble. And I suspect so is a shooter if/when he starts moving his head to properly see the target.

Here's a link showing the basics of different lens types. Scroll down to see the different ones.

https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/which ... ogressives

Zenni even has a page on how to get used to progressives the bottom line of which is learn to move your head and not your eyes. Pass.

https://www.zennioptical.com/blog/how-t ... lsrc=aw.ds


Funny, I was a professional pilot for 45 years wore progressives prescribed by Dr.Colo and found then the best and most natural glasses ever. In prior life, flew fighters where a pilot is constantly moving their head and focusing inside and out. Wore them for a decade before retiring. Even wore them during upset training at Mojave, never a problem. Colo did say don’t use progressives shooting, there’s no need for close vision behind a shotgun.




Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], cheecho1960, dickgtax, DooFighter, F*W*F, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, johnnie g, LilBoog, Mark Pfeifer, Mkk, OldStufferA5#1911, Rack-N-Roy, RetroRain, RGuill96971, sewmacoil, Stuck-N-Kali, Supertex1978, Waldyo


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group    - DMCA Notice