ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Does anyone use Hi rib barrel for sporting clays?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:15 pm 
Utility Grade

I am thinking about buying a trap doubles barrel for sporting clays? Does any one have any expeience doing this?

Post subject: Re: Does anyone use Hi rib barrel for sporting clays?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:33 pm 
Field Grade

Bill Mcguire uses a high rib Blaser and he is one of the best in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:46 pm 
Crown Grade

One of the guns I use is a Browning Ultra XT; works fine; you learn to float the target.

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:32 pm 
Crown Grade

Lots

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:49 pm 
Tournament Grade

I shoot my high rib Blaser F3 Supersport for everything. Sporting, skeet, wobble trap, and bunker.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:04 pm 
Field Grade

mactownbob wrote:
I shoot my high rib Blaser F3 Supersport for everything. Sporting, skeet, wobble trap, and bunker.

Do you keep the rib adjustments fixed for each or do you adjust based on the game your shooting at the time?

Follow up do you have set up close to 50/50 for sporting or set to shoot high?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:35 am 
Tournament Grade

I never change the rib adjustments. After lots of experimentation I settled on about a 55/45 setting because I shoot more sporting than anything else. I don't like it any higher than that because of all the dropping targets I see there. That way my sight picture is the same for all the games. I haven't changed my adjustable comb or rib in years now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:51 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Gebben Miles still does. Kevin DeMichiel used to, but went back to low rib last year. Zach used to. Wilgus used to. Wait... Maybe there's a trend there?

;)

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:38 am 
Crown Grade

I shot an XT for about a year, then a 725 trap, which is very close to the 725 high rib sporter.

It was great on trap targets, and flat or rising crosser, didn't like it for everything else on the sporting course. Went to a 725 flat rib and haven't looked back. YMMV

Eye on the rock, head on the stock.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:54 am 
Crown Grade

Try before you buy if you can. It wasn't for me. I shot the Blaser. High ribs were all the rage 5-6 years ago. Not so much now.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:11 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

why would one do this?

Are you always set up to float the bird?

Good luck.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:27 am 
Limited Edition

I tried a 725 high rib a few years ago. Never could get used to it. I really enjoy my flat rib K80 sporter now. Some folks prefer the higher rib. I think it is really just personal preference.

As Jack stated, I know that Kevin DeMichiel went to a flat rib as well. I wonder why?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:17 pm 
Limited Edition

mdlott wrote:
I tried a 725 high rib a few years ago. Never could get used to it. I really enjoy my flat rib K80 sporter now. Some folks prefer the higher rib. I think it is really just personal preference.

As Jack stated, I know that Kevin DeMichiel went to a flat rib as well. I wonder why?

Kevin said it was because with his high rib pro sporter he had a somewhat inconsistent mount to his cheek/jaw. He felt he would gain consistency with the need to mount higher in the cheek with the low rib. He said this during one of their behind the break podcasts.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:43 am 
Utility Grade

I used to shoot a K80 Prosport for everything, trap, skeet, and sporting. I was having difficulty with long targets and droppers in sporting so I changed my K80 to a Parcours flat rib and I am doing much better now in all disciplines.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:03 pm 
Limited Edition

paulaner wrote:
I used to shoot a K80 Prosport for everything, trap, skeet, and sporting. I was having difficulty with long targets and droppers in sporting so I changed my K80 to a Parcours flat rib and I am doing much better now in all disciplines.

Hence why I went with a flat rib too.

Also, talking to a couple of the better shooters, their POI is 100% and one shoots the high rib K gun. He said lots of shooters have 80-100%.....I am at 80% as I like a little bit of 'float' to see the bird during the whole flight if that makes sense. Yet the beads stacked I barely raised the comb on my Parcour.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:00 am 
Crown Grade

I may be wrong, but the higher the rib, the more up right your head has to be to see down the rib, no matter where the comb is. If the comb is standard you'll mount more to your jaw. With a high comb you'll be mounting back to your cheek. Your POI will only change if you "see more rib"-or if you have an adjustable rib. Then you can change the relationship of the angle of rib to barrel. If the rib is parallel to the barrel it'll shoot flat. The only way it'll shoot higher, or float the bird, is if the back of the rib is raised. I can't see how just because it's a high rib the bird has to be floated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:20 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

bladesmith wrote:
I may be wrong, but

Only if the stock remains the same geometry. In most cases higher rib stocks have correspondingly higher combs and correspondingly higher pad heels, so the net face-to-rib geometry is identical to a comparable flat-rib gun.

In this, the biggest difference is the barrel itself is lower relative to your eye-line, which translates to more linear recoil into the shoulder, which in turn usually also means less muzzle jump; and then you gain visibility around the taller rib that is also thinner than the barrel that would be there on the flat rib gun.

But what you also gain is magnified negative influences from any gun cant, which is generally disastrous; and as noted above, especially present with dropping and curling targets.

NSCA #617422

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:39 pm 
Field Grade

JacksBack wrote:
bladesmith wrote:
I may be wrong, but

Only if the stock remains the same geometry. In most cases higher rib stocks have correspondingly higher combs and correspondingly higher pad heels, so the net face-to-rib geometry is identical to a comparable flat-rib gun.

In this, the biggest difference is the barrel itself is lower relative to your eye-line, which translates to more linear recoil into the shoulder, which in turn usually also means less muzzle jump; and then you gain visibility around the taller rib that is also thinner than the barrel that would be there on the flat rib gun.

But what you also gain is magnified negative influences from any gun cant, which is generally disastrous; and as noted above, especially present with dropping and curling targets.

Pretty much nailed it.....assuming a perfect mount and 50/50 POI a flat rib gun and a high rib gun can be used on any presentation equally well with some inherent advantages to the hi rib gun....however once things are not perfect mistakes such as cant have a larger negative impact.

I grease plate patterned my "highish" mid rib CG Summit Acsent today and it was pretty much dead flat 50/50.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:58 pm 
Crown Grade

Jack, I think we agree, just said differently.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:25 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

10-4!

NSCA #617422