ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does anyone use Hi rib barrel for sporting clays?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:46 am 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

I've been using a Z gun HR and absolutely love it. I've had K and P guns, this one is way better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:52 am 
Presentation Grade

I've been shooting a Beretta DT11ACS for four years and prefer the high rib. It's set up 55/45 and the more head up position results in lower felt recoil and less fatigue than my MX8.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:11 am 
Presentation Grade

my buddy has a A400 ACS or whatever, with the adjustable rib, the kick off, and then adjustable comb, and I will be the first to say and point to him, that he struggles on dropping targets because he just can't get under them with that much rib.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:45 pm 
Gunsmith
Gunsmith

gdub41 wrote:
my buddy has a A400 ACS or whatever, with the adjustable rib, the kick off, and then adjustable comb, and I will be the first to say and point to him, that he struggles on dropping targets because he just can't get under them with that much rib.

It’s got nothing to do with the rib. His POI is set too high or he doesn’t have a lot of experience with droppers.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:48 pm 
Tournament Grade

I'm using a Zoli Z-sport HR for sporting. I raise the rib, and drop the comb a little to get more of a 55/45 pattern for sporting, which seems to work well for me as PJR noted above. I really like the adjust-ability of this gun. I can go from a sporting gun to a trap gun in about 5 minutes.

I'd say the biggest possible disadvantage of a high rib for sporting is the "cant-factor". This is not an issue if you use proper technique...............something I continue to struggle with. Properly setting up the shot is key.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:41 am 
Crown Grade

gdub41 wrote:
The POI is the same regardless of the target and moving from say a crosser to a dropper requires exactly the same movement regardless of the rib height. Also, if a high rib/high comb gun gives a more head up stance then the previous guns didn't fit or weren't mounted properly.

Having said that I'm not a particular fan of raised ribs having tried a few, and certainly in my neck of the woods the high rib bubble popped 2 or three years back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:55 am 
Presentation Grade

Tron wrote:
gdub41 wrote:

It’s got nothing to do with the rib. His POI is set too high or he doesn’t have a lot of experience with droppers.

he has tons of experience with droppers, he's a pretty good shot actually, prior to him owning this A400 multi target, he had a standard A400 xcel sporting, and he had no problems with that gun with droppers. He shot that A400 xcel better then this multi target space ship looking contraption he has now.

NSCA#620844
"regarde le putain d'oiseau"