ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brad - Electronic scoring coming to the UK?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:20 am 
Tournament Grade

This months Clay Shooting magazine (UK) reports the CPSA are working on an updated scoring programme (called 'Shoot') with added fixture scheduling, classification management and live scoring capability.
It will be available for desktop, laptop, tablet & mobile and run on a grounds wi-fi and sync to leaderboards and submit scores instantly to the CPSA.
The item goes on to report
Eventually, at CPSA major championships, and at grounds that invest in the kit, referees will be able to enter scores as they happen – and each hit or miss will appear live on the leaderboards provided the necessary connectivity is available. Further developments will see a mobile app created that can use mobile data to upload scores.

Regards

Leigh

Post subject: Re: Brad - Electronic scoring coming to the UK?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:35 am 
Crown Grade

But don't you use trappers at your shoots rather than letting shooters do the scoring? Having trained trappers makes a big difference.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:08 am 
Crown Grade

LeighH wrote:
This months Clay Shooting magazine (UK) reports the CPSA are working on an updated scoring programme (called 'Shoot') with added fixture scheduling, classification management and live scoring capability.
It will be available for desktop, laptop, tablet & mobile and run on a grounds wi-fi and sync to leaderboards and submit scores instantly to the CPSA.
The item goes on to report
Eventually, at CPSA major championships, and at grounds that invest in the kit, referees will be able to enter scores as they happen – and each hit or miss will appear live on the leaderboards provided the necessary connectivity is available. Further developments will see a mobile app created that can use mobile data to upload scores.

Regards

Leigh

Leigh, ok, you got me. That's a good one.

If I've learned anything here it's that electronic scoring can't possibly work.

Nice try :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:07 pm 
Crown Grade

Quote:
provided the necessary connectivity is available.

How is the wifi ability on British shooting grounds?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:21 pm 
Crown Grade

oneounceload wrote:
Quote:
provided the necessary connectivity is available.

How is the wifi ability on British shooting grounds?
I don't know many clubhouses with wifi never mind out there on the course. It would have to be 4G/5G and even then I know several grounds where the signal is spotty. Great in theory but the elephant in the room is the cost of the infrastructure plus of course the hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:06 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Putting WiFi out on a sporting course is no big deal.

If DeWalt (and others) can put reliable WiFi on any construction site, it can be put on any sporting course, the technology is out there.

aka Mr. Tactful. Common sense no longer appears to be common.
NSCA#544066

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:57 pm 
Crown Grade

But, but, but, what if it rains? Or what if someone drops the tablet.

I'm telling you guys, geezers way smarter than me agree, it's never going to work.

What's next, a computer you can hold in your hand? An oven that cooks a hotdog in one minute?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:29 pm 
Field Grade

Great that the CPSA is investing in the registering, scoring, and reporting applications. Here we must rely on good old private industry to create those applications.

Wait... What? oh, that's right the NSCA is a private organization that we pay target tax into. You'd think that they would be doing the same but are too busy tithing the NSSA with our taxes.
So instead the clubs pay another penny a target to use online registration and scoring.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:59 pm 
Crown Grade

Where are all the geezers that said they struggle with pencil and paper? Stand up and be counted?

I think I just voted for one? Jack?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:37 pm 
Limited Edition

ysr_racer wrote:
But, but, but, what if it rains? Or what if someone drops the tablet.

I'm telling you guys, geezers way smarter than me agree, it's never going to work.

What's next, a computer you can hold in your hand? An oven that cooks a hotdog in one minute?

Hot Dogs are not healthy. Jus sayin.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:37 am 
Presentation Grade

Does this mean bar codes instead of back tags? How do I collect bar codes. I vote for implanted chip and scanner. Then we can track those guys who are always going backwards on the course.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:08 am 
Crown Grade

What would be the ROI? How does a club save money using electronic scoring tablets? What would be the life expectancy of the tablets? How does this attract more shooters? How much are shooters willing to accept in increased entry fees to pay for this? In the US shooters don't want to pay for trappers at most shoots. Asking for a range owner friend.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:46 am 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

Quote:

If DeWalt (and others) can put reliable WiFi on any construction site, it can be put on any sporting course, the technology is out there.

So often people miss that while something is possible, like Mark says, and miss the point of Who pays for it? or even ROI

Phone 813-907-7340
Check out our E-books on Amazon here
http://www.rogergascoigneshootingcoach.com/books.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:51 am 
Crown Grade

Some people just love spending someone else's money. I don't doubt the technical end of this, just the ROI.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:49 am 
Crown Grade

Pistol clubs have been using it for years. There must be something to it.

Do the people that do the registration and scoring at a big event do it for free?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:12 am 
Crown Grade

Well Brad how much are you willing to put up to start a trial on this project? And are those tablets going to do registration, squadding and check in shooters?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:22 am 
Crown Grade

I think that electronic scoring would work for sporting clays and that it would provide some benefit, at least in speed of recording and reporting. However, if US clubs are going to spend money (and pass the cost on to me), I would prefer that they invest in trappers/scorers before technology upgrade - simply more benefit to the shooter for the cost.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:27 am 
Crown Grade

mwr01 wrote:
I think that electronic scoring would work for sporting clays and that it would provide some benefit, at least in speed of recording and reporting. However, if US clubs are going to spend money (and pass the cost on to me), I would prefer that they invest in trappers/scorers before technology upgrade - simply more benefit to the shooter for the cost.

{hs# And who is going to hand shooters with no clue an expensive tablet with no training in SYO?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 am 
Tournament Grade

One fact I would point out is that the CPSA is the governing body not only for registered Sporting Clays, but also for other disciplines as well. The article indicates they will be providing the infrastructure themselves for when a ground holds a Major Championship, so while it may be relatively feasible for Sportrap (5 stand) & Trap/Skeet/ disciplines due to usually being close together layouts on flat open terrain, I would imagine wifi coverage would still be a significant barrier to ovecome on a decent Sporting Clay Course with trees, hollows etc.
Agree with the comments on ROI, particularly after this awful year.

Regards

Leigh

Last edited by LeighH on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:14 am 
Crown Grade

Roger Gascoigne wrote:
Quote:

So often people miss that while something is possible, like Mark says, and miss the point of Who pays for it? or even ROI

You beat me to it Roger.
No one said it wasn't possible; it comes down to cost.
For clubs who maybe throw 1 registered shoot per month, what is the break even period?

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience, George Carlin

Last edited by oneounceload on Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.