ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RIP Tom Kidd
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:40 am 
Field Grade

Tom Kidd passed unexpectedly yesterday. That is all I know via FB.

He was great guy and I loved spending time a Kidd’s Place when I was in North Carolina. Unfortunately, I haven’t been to NC in over a year.

He really loved the sport and was one of the most gracious hosts ever. He will be missed!

Condolences to his wife, family, friends, and his NC sporting family.

Make Sporting Clays Great Again - MANDATORY DOWNCLASSING!

Primary Gun-K80 w/factory titanium chokes
Backup Gun-Browning BPS
Subgauge Gun-K80 w/Carrier Barrels
Ammo-Whatever is On Sale at 1200fps or less
All guns choked Magic

Post subject: Re: RIP Tom Kidd
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:47 pm 
Shooting Instructor
Shooting Instructor

I never met Tom but heard about him for many years. I never heard anything bad about Tom, in fact all of the things I heard were what a great and nice person he was. I would have liked to have met him because he sounds like my kind of person, I send all of my sympathies to Tom's family and friends. Our sport has lost another great person and supporter. This makes me very SAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Mike McAlpine

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:40 pm 
Tournament Grade

Wow, sorry to hear that. Whenever I was in NC I always made a trip to Kidd's Place, great targets!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:23 am 
Presentation Grade

Gentleman, Friend and Patriot. If an American Flag could be hung, it would be.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:26 am 
Presentation Grade

Sorry to hear this. Shot his course number of times passing through NC.. A real nice fellow, always went out of his way to welcome us.

Bass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:04 am 
Limited Edition

Tom Kidd had the biggest heart of any man I have ever known! He did so much for the shooters ofNC. He was the kind of man that would do all he could to help a friend. Tom would also do all he could to help a foe! My favorite Tom saying was, “ go big or go home.” This saying describes Tom perfectly. He was bigger than life. He will be forever a SPORTING CLAYS LEGEND. He is a member of the NC Sporting Clays Hall of Fame. He will always be with me as a voice in the back of my mind, always. He talked me into getting involved with the state board, and becoming a level 1 instructor. He told me “this sport has given us so much that we have to give something back.“
Tom’s passing has put the the shooters of NC in a state of shock, but if he could have written a script , this is how he would want to go. He had just shot the Friday Prelim at the NC State shoot at Hunters Pointe. This is where he shot his first sporting clays with David Downs, Scott Downs, and Clint Fleming. It is only fitting that this was the site of his final shot.
I know Tom would want us to keep pushing Foward, and “GO BIG OR GO HOME.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:32 am 
Limited Edition

The last time I shot in a registered shoot at Kidd's Place, I chided Tom about how hard the targets were and told him to brace himself for the griping that would be coming his way. I then made sure he understood any complaining I did about targets was in fun, because we all had to shoot the same targets. Tom was among the best, if not the best, target setters in the US, in my opinion.

After that we had a nice chat about a couple of personal issues we were both having. We lost a great man in our sport, and a true larger-than-life character.