ShotGunWorld Shotguns

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Sporting
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:21 pm 
Crown Grade

I was at a shoot this weekend and the 50 target super sporting had no singles. Never saw this before. Is this the new norm?

Post subject: Re: Super Sporting
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:26 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

It's not new. I do not like it and won't shoot it if I have a choice. I thought they "changed" the rule to require singles , But I do not recall.

Our prentice Tom may now refuse
To wipe his scoundrel master's shoes
For now he's free to sing and play
O'er the hills and far away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:37 pm 
Crown Grade

I have shot 50 and 100 target super sporting dating back roughly 5 years and the only time that I have ever seen it with any single targets was the 2019 us open at M&M. And then it was not at every station

I enjoyed having the taste of it with the single targets as it really made the game feel that much more different from English Sporting. My guess on why clubs / grounds would want to avoid the singles is pace of play.

NSCA 602398

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:07 pm 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Super with singles is an excellent game -- think of it as FITASC lite :)

All doubles SS sucks IMHO mainly because of the no viewing trues rule. I got on a rotation at nationals a couple years back where I ended up getting all of the tricky TP's as the first shooter. It was a 10-station SS to boot and was a flat out lousy experience, total waste of time and money. I think they got a lot of negative feedback including mine because it is back to a longer course and a mix of singles and pairs.

NSCA #617422

When the mind is right, the body will find a way...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:13 pm 
Crown Grade

I saw this no single SS on the menu while I was shooting sub gauge from a different stand at the station. When I saw no singles decided not to shoot the SS. Viewing the singles and shooting the singles seems much more reasonable. First time I saw no singles in SS.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:02 pm 
Limited Edition

SS sans singles is NOT SS as it was originally designed.
It was also shot “low gun” when it debuted during the mid nineties.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:12 pm 
Crown Grade

low gun - whoo - raa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:36 pm 
Field Grade

NC? If so it was a tough 50 targets :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:49 pm 
Presentation Grade

I haven't shot much SS. What I have shot had singles and I enjoyed it. I don't see the point in SS with only doubles. I would rather shoot regular SC and 5-stand..

Cylinder chokes and 9's

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:42 pm 
Tournament Grade

I brought this topic up once before on SGW. I was berated by a frequent poster for being a whiner.

I really like SS and it is all we shoot at my home club. My original point was and is, if you are going to skip singles, do all true pairs or whatever, say so. Don't advertise true Super Sporting and then do something else. Advertise and sell what you are offering.

I'll still participate if it is all that is offered but only if I can't find something else.

s/f Steve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:19 pm 
Crown Grade

Gunsite Guy wrote:
I brought this topic up once before on SGW. I was berated by a frequent poster for being a whiner.

I really like SS and it is all we shoot at my home club. My original point was and is, if you are going to skip singles, do all true pairs or whatever, say so. Don't advertise true Super Sporting and then do something else. Advertise and sell what you are offering.

I'll still participate if it is all that is offered but only if I can't find something else.

s/f Steve

‘When is Super Sporting not’....... you weren’t berated, or called a whiner by anyone in that thread.

I still prefer SS with singles, reports and trues. But still maintain the host has the right to set them how they like, and asking to know in advance is bull. If any target setter/host club deviates from the rules that it sticks in ones craw afterward, speak up to to shoot management, and/or vote with your feet and wallet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:44 am 
Crown Grade

When it comes to side games I always check the menus (as stated above) and never pre- register for them. Singles,overheads and rabbits have disappeared from 5 stand for the most part in my area. And all 50 targets of 5 stand are thrown on 1 five stand set up in pairs. Simple cost and time savings. Last shoot I was at had all the 5 stand machines lined up right in front of the stands/stations in a straight line throwing at different angles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:17 am 
*Proud to be a*
*Proud to be a*

Last shoot I was at had all the 5 stand machines lined up right in front of the stands/stations in a straight line throwing at different angles.

That sounds like fun.

Gun and Shell Sponsor / My Wife
Polaris Ranger
Krieghoff K80 Plantation Grade
Muller Chokes
Brain Chokes
Member of the NRA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:49 am 
Tournament Grade

We have a similar setup except we use 2 wobble traps on our old 5 stand. Our ground slopes away so we can throw targets downhill to the woods 90 yards away. We throw singles, report pairs, and true pairs. The true pairs are pretty challenging off of 2 wobble traps since you don't know where they are going.

I had some guys over the weekend who wanted to practice for bird hunting so I gave them reports and true pairs shooting low gun with random delays up to 4 seconds to better simulate flushing birds. Great fun, they loved it!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:36 pm 
Limited Edition

At the NC State Shoot lt0026 is talking about, the 5-stand and the Super Sporting were both shot without singles. I didn't like the setup as much as having singles, but everybody had to shoot the same menu. I just like games with full use of the gun on singles.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:44 pm 
Crown Grade

dmarbell wrote:
At the NC State Shoot lt0026 is talking about, the 5-stand and the Super Sporting were both shot without singles. I didn't like the setup as much as having singles, but everybody had to shoot the same menu. I just like games with full use of the gun on singles.

Agree! Keeps things fun, especially when the single is a tough, but not stupid target.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:15 pm 
Diamond Grade

Must be related to time constraints.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:18 pm 
Crown Grade

Or imagined time constraints....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:39 am 
Field Grade

The handful of SS I've shot has had no singles. Usually the 50 bird SS consists of 5 stations with 10 pairs each. 3 traps at each station with the menu being 3 report pair and 2 true pair, no singles. Only allowed to view a single bird, no pairs.
I like it myself, but I've never shot any SS with singles...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:39 am 
Crown Grade

At the NC State Shoot you had an 8 station course with 2 stands on each station. The events shot at each station on 2 different stands included all sub gauges 20 thru 410, 50 target 12 gauge, SS, SXS and Pump. I never had to wait more than 1 squad when I shot the 20 gauge on Sunday. Maybe time was an issue on Thursday,Friday or Saturday. I did hear some negative feedback on no singles on the SS. The trappers were very good. Like I said above when I saw no singles in SS it was a non starter for me. It's been a long time since I saw singles on a 50 target 5 stand.